“Friendly, cosy motel with amazing views”
Review of FogCatcher Inn

FogCatcher Inn
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly, cosy motel with amazing views”
Reviewed 5 February 2011

We stayed at the Fogcatcher Inn after reading the excellent reviews on Tripadvisor and were not disappointed. The staff were all incredibly friendly, the room was clean, spacious and cosy with a real working fire. The swimming pool and hot tub are kept so warm that we swam at night (depsite the fact it was pretty cold out) and directly opposite the motel is the beach and the ocean where a colony of Pacific Harbor Seals live. The motel is about a 5 min drive from downtown Cambria so relatively easy to get to town for dinner. The owners put out freshly baked cookies in the afternoon (unfortunately we missed them) and the breakfasts include make-your-own-waffles, which were delicious! Highly highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
london ontario
Reviewed 1 February 2011

My husband and I stayed 2 nights in mid January. We stopped over on way up the coast from Santa Barbara to San Francisco. The location is ideal. Moonstone Beach is a short walk into Cambria. The Inn is across the road from the boardwalk along the beach which makes for a great stroll. Our room was beautifully decorated, cozy and very clean. Both mornings we went over for a great hot breakfast, with everything you would want to eat. From eggs to pastries and lots of goodies in between. Front desk staff (Thomas) was very nice and friendly. He made some excellent dinner suggestions and reservations for us in Cambria. I can't say enough good things about our stay there. I just wish we had skipped San Francisco and stayed the whole week here. Would definately recommend this Inn to friends and we will definately go back. We fell in love with the Fogcatcher Inn and Cambria is a cute little town with everything you need. First class bistro's for dinner. Did some shopping in several boutiques, prices quite good.
Excellent location to Hearst Castle which is a must see.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Wonderful location - quiet - peaceful and friendly. I could hear the ocean at night BECAUSE I opened the window, on purpose. I slept very well. Room had a little fridge and micowave which was great for the way I travel. The breakfast room provided a nice selection of items including hot eggs and sausage as well as fruit, cereals, and waffles.
Front desk staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Cleanliness, around the floor mouldings could have been better but it did not detract the experience I had. January is the off season, although weather was like summer. Felt that I received a good value for what I paid. Close to Hearst Castle - can't beat the fact that the ocean is just across a quiet two land road. WIFI was slow but luckily I did not go there to spend too much time online. I got outside and reveled in the beauty.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 29 January 2011

The hotel is located right at the beach which is great. Beautiful views and walks.

Unfortunately the rooms are worn down and didn't seem 100% clean.

Be aware that the sea really "roars" which affected our sleep.

The internet connection is very slow.

Parking and breakfast are free.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tira_20
Alameda, California
Reviewed 23 January 2011

many choices in this beautiful area of Cambria ..we found the fog catcher to be a great choice..a big part of our choice was due to the help from the front desk agents Thomas & Karen..we called in at the last minute..they arranged for a great room at a great rate..they knew the area when we discussed dining options..the room was as described, if not better..clean, well maintained ( as was everything about the place) and very comfortable..right across the street is the beautiful beach with a boardwalk running along the top of the bluff so you can walk for miles and never get sand in your shoes unless you want to..

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Corona del Mar, CA
Reviewed 22 January 2011

We absolutely love Cambria and especially the Fog Catcher Inn, along with its sister property, the Fireside Inn, it is one of our top choices for a weekend getaway. In fact we love all the Pacifica Hotels, they do a great job with all their properties. We love the clean, comfortable places at a good value.

The Fog Catcher has a great location and it has all the things that are important to me, a pool heated year round (I swim everyday), free high speed Internet (I hate to pay $300 for a room and then they want $15 a day for Internet?), clean, well maintained and great, friendly staff.

All the rooms have fireplaces and we LOVE a fire in the evening (we love Cambria in the winter when it is quiet) and there is nothing like a nice red wine and fire.

They also offer a more complete breakfast than their sister property, but we still tend to go out because there are so many good, unique places to eat in the Central Coast.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank scottca075
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 January 2011

This was my first time at the FogCatcher, but it won't be my last.
All staff members I came in contact with were warm and welcoming.
The hot breakfast, which is included in your stay, was delicious! So much to choose from! My only complaint was that the coffee was very weak. You can add hot water to strong coffee to lighten it up, but there isn't a thing you can do to make weak coffee strong.
The room itself was well appointed and roomy. The linens were crisp, the pillows soft, and the mattress comfy. I left the windows open all night so I could fall asleep to the sound of the crashing waves. And the water pressure - wow! Usually hotels put restricters in the faucets, but this shower was anything but restricted. It was wonderful!
The grounds of the hotel were super clean, and the gardens well cared for. Parking was a breeze, no matter what time of day or night I came and went. The ocean beckons across the road, and there's easy access to the beach, with lots of beautiful walk-ways if you don't want sand between your toes.
All in all, the FogCatcher is a lovely choice for a Cambria stay.
I look forward to my return trip!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends