“Chicken Shortage”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Santa Barbara, California
“Chicken Shortage”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This was one of these cheap Chinese restaurants that gives you 512 vegetables in amongst about 5 pieces of chicken. The food actually tasted good, but I don't have much patience for places that try to cheat you out of meat by giving you tons of vegetables instead.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Gregs_out_West

• Korean first
Los Angeles, California
“Not worthy of ratings”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I honestly feel after seeing they got an "award of excellence" and reading the reviews of this place that a lot have to be bogus. The food is average at best. My girlfriend got the lo mein and I got the Kung Pao chicken- they were... mediocre, akin to a strip mall Chinese fast food joint. The prices are double what you would normally pay for what we got.. total bill was about $30. They also charge for steamed rice. Walking around Cambria this seems to be the norm, unfortunately. It's great on charm but a tourist trap at heart.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank HEYHEY661
Los Gatos, California, United States
“Pricey but good”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The food at Dragon Bistro is good, but it is about double the price of what you pay at your neighborhood chinese food restaurant. I find that having to pay extra for a small bowl of steamed rice a bit chintzy too. Rice should always come with the meal. The staff are very nice and generally attentive.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Rebekah C
Prescott, Arizona
“My favorite restaurant in Cambria!”
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Have been vacationing in Cambria every year since 1986 so my wife & I have tried just about every restaurant. We always dine at the Dragon Bistro at least twice during the week. It is my favorite for the following reasons: excellent, freshly prepared food with a wide selection of choices from mild to spicy, relaxing atmosphere, comfy booths, very pleasant wait staff, and kind owners (Mee, the owners wife, is very funny too!). I Highly recommend the Dragon Bistro!

1 Thank travelerofthewest
El Monte, California
“Stay away due to terrible food and service and rude waiter forcing gratuity on you!”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

What a day!
So we had dinner at a random Chinese place called "Dragon Bistro". We walked in and there's like no worker at the front so we wait. Another group walks in just like us, wondering where's the waiter. The waiter comes by and ask the new group the number of people in their party but ignores us when we tried to give them the number of our group. The waiter walks past all of us to answer the phone and then run off again. Eventually, she comes back to sit the other group and we ended up waiting for like forever (didn't have lunch due to time constraint). We finally get a sit after who knows how long in a corner where the waiter rarely walks near, let alone walking by. Eventually, the waiter came to take our order. And again, we waited forever. Then halleluah! We got our food but it tasted pretty terrible and meh. So we finished eating and yet again, we're waiting forever for the check. Eventually, they brought the check after god knows how long. Strangely, there was an additional line for the gratuity on the receipt. Gratuity are only mandatory when there is a large party of 5+ in a group but we only had 3. So we decided to pay what we owe rounded to the nearest dollar excluding the gratuity due to terrible experience. We went to our car. We actually see that waiter run out looking for us!!!! He actually ran over to block and stand in front of our car DEMANDING his tip. His was like "this is america! Not china! You HAVE to give tip! Or else I will call 911! You owe money!" So I get it, he is picking on us because he judge that we are obviously asian and thought that we would freak out when "911" is mentioned. My response to him is "tip is optional and we chose not to give tip due to poor experience." He kept going on and on about his stupid tip and threatening/harrassing us about it by saying he will call the cops, 911, blah blah blah. My next response to him is "go ahead. Call the cops. We are in the right with the choice to tip or not. O wait, ill even help u call 911." And of course I did. That waiter would not allow us to leave. So I told him if he wants to cause a scene, then I will help him. He tells us to come back inside and that he will show us that we HAVE to give tip and that it is MANDATORY. Things were not going his way so he started shouting and insulting us with stuff like "if you ain't got money, you go eat hamburger, not here!" Then he went and got the manager which we talked to and he did point out that there is a 15% gratuity added to bills of party of 5 or more but I would assume he thought we had a lot of people. I told him we only had 3. Had the gratuity line not been added to the bill directly, we would of had tipped something but low. He looked embarrassed when I told him we only had 3 people and were chased to the parking lot for a tip. I asked him "so now what, are you still going to force us to stay here and wait for the cops to come to cause a scene or can we leave now?" The manager apologized to us, told the waiter to "shut up" and "enough out of you" and "get back to work" (because he was still trying to pick a fight with me), and told us to have a happy new year. Interesting experience and i would never return nor would this place ever be recommended to anyone.

• Visited December 2013