“Contemporary Country Charm on the Coast”
Review of Sea Otter Inn

Sea Otter Inn
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
Reviewed 16 March 2008

Got a great price for this inn via Travelzoo at $75/nt (including taxes) for a room with a king bed, fireplace, private patio and continental breakfast. We arrived late at night & it should be noted that the office closes around 9:30pm for check-in. The office people were generally helpful. For the price I was delighted with the room which was spacious, clean, tastefully furnished, comfortable bed & bedding, and a nice kitchenette complete with fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. The shower had good water pressure, supplied toiletries included lotion, soaps and a shower cap (shampoo, conditioner & liquid soap was also supplied through dispensers in the shower). The fireplace is turned on & off with the thermostat. The patio was nicely maintained, very private and overlooks a small creek. The wireless internet connection is a bit weak, but relatively fast once we could get connected. Breakfast is served in the office from 7:30-10am every morning and included hard boiled eggs, yogurt, apples, oranges, bagels and orange juice -- a series of pastries including carrot muffins, poppyseed muffins, small danishes, sour apple tartlets and croissants were also supplied by a local Italian bakery (Allaocco's) and were very tasty -- trays were supplied to take food back to your room. Along Moonstone beach we saw seals, otters, some water birds and lots of cute ground squirrels. The town of Cambria is charming and easy to navigate. For the price I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank gradtraveler

Reviewed 5 March 2008

The first thing to note about the Sea Otter Inn is that it shares a thin wedge of land between Moonstone Beach Drive and Highway 1 with about two dozen other motels. If you are considering an inn or motel located on that road, they all share virtually the same site characteristics. I wasn't able to distinguish that fact when I was considering our options, but the motels are all lined up in a row like "Monopoly" properties.
We got an exceptionally good Travelzoo rate of $69 for a garden view room with a patio and king bed. The room was nice, clean, and had a refrigerator. I had considered an oceanfront room at a different motel, but I decided to save the $100 per night with this rate. As others have mentioned in their review of Moonstone Beach motels, the road runs between the motels and the beach/ocean. The road wasn't busy in February, but that may be very different in summer.
The continental breakfast was served in the small office, and motel guests are advised to take the food back to their rooms. In fact, there really isn't any room in the office to eat breakfast. On the other hand, the continental breakfast included a good variety of pastries, cereal, yogurt, coffee, tea, and juice.
Cambria is a very nice little town, just south of Hearst Castle. We had an excellent dinner at Linn's, and also an excellent lunch and dinner at the Main Street Grill (great barbeque, burgers and beer).
I would definitely stay at the Sea Otter Inn again, especially with the $69 Travelzoo rate, but I'm not sure that I would be willing to pay a more standard rate without that discount.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ColumbiaTrekkers
Reviewed 2 March 2008

We checked in 2/28 for 2 nights. Booked a queen, queen patio room. Was given the key to a King Patio room instead. The girl at the desk told me there was another couple in the room for 4 days, and since we were 2 people, the King should be fine. All double queen rooms were taken. I told her I was traveling with my son in law and were not sleeping in the same bed. After phone calls to Mgr. George, they gave us the 2 rm suite with 2 queen pull out sofas. Who the heck wants to sleep on a pull out couch?? The sofas were ugly, uncomfortable, big rips in the back cushions, throw pillows torn too. The carpet was stained, the only wing chair was even more uncomfortable than the sofas were. The room was dark and dreary, like the dark brown couches. Toothpaste was still in the sink after the maid left on the first day.
The worst, was I was itchy and sneezing. Then I realized why. They allow dogs in this property. Room 110 had a huge Lab dog. The man and dog emerged ,after the dog barked for a while. Across the way, room 120 I believe, I saw 2 great big Police dogs come out the door. The sneezing and itching clued me into why my allergies were acting up. The last occupants must have had a dog in the room. The girl at the desk said only 2 rooms were used for dogs. I told her there were dogs in the other rooms and gave her room numbers She said she was going to call them.. Nothing was done. Man and dog came out of the room next morning. Yuck! With bad allergies, I don't like sleeping with the dogs! I remember when this property was lovely. What has happened??? What sort of mismanagement is this? Manager George does not return calls either now or in the past. No apologies were offered when they gave my room away. Shame on you Moonstone Properties. You need to do better than this!

Stayed: February 2008
4  Thank betsybubbles
Reviewed 18 January 2008

Our stay in the Sea Otter Inn was really a stop off between travelling from San Francisco to Santa Barbara. Hadn't booked but staff were very accomodating and we got a room at a reduced rate. The place was stunning and the beach was on our doorstep!! Extremely romantic and just perfect for our honeymoon.

The food was lovely in the only restaurant in Moonstone Beach and the staff were very attentive when we arrived but seemed to be a bit put out at 9.30pm when they wanted to leave and we were happy to sit on for few more drinks!!

Had a lovely dip in the heated pool the next morning before heading to Hearst Castle and onwards to Santa Barbara.

Would thoroughly recommend this idyllic place and was definitely one of the highlights of our honeymoon for a one or two night stay!!

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank ValerieMow
Reviewed 8 October 2007

This was one of the highlights of my tour of the Big Sur.
The Inn was perfect.

Settled on the edge of the Pacific with a beautiful wind swept beach at your front door this stay was enhance by a beautiful large clean room with cosy gas fire heating.

I got up early on the morning of departure and had a fabulous walk on the long beach where my only companions were the waves that crashed at my feet and the seals that lazed on the rocks directly opposite the Inn.

The walkways in place above the beach are superb and totally in keeping with the lovely setting on the seashore.

The staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful.

The only downsides were
(a) the breakfast where the muffins and bagels were the mainstay but even still were very tasty.
(b) the only resteraunt nearby (300 meters) closes very early and we were made to feel very much like an inconvenience to themarriving at 9 PM.

The resteraunt itself felt a bit amateurish in the way it greets guest but has in its defense however a fantastic fruit Ice cream which was the nicest I have ever tasted.

Outside that with nothing else to do in Cambria (not in the town) we had to have a early night.

For the loaction comfort and hospitality I would crtainly stay here again but I would probably drive into Cambria for a good resteraunt.

1  Thank johndeff
Reviewed 25 September 2007

The Sea Otter has a great location opposite the sea and therefore perfect for walks along the beach, and a five minute drive to Hearst Castle. We even saw seals and sea otters! The accomodation is clean and the staff are friendly - nothing too luxurious but perfect for the price. A couple of words of warning: it's not in the centre of Cambria - the restaurants and shops are a short drive away - and Cambria itself is extremely quiet.

2  Thank JDLondon
Reviewed 20 September 2007

I really did not know what to expect with this hotel/motel. It sounded like a roadside motor inn from the 50's. Well...it kinda is...but you wouldn't know it. The renovations and upkeep were very well done. Nothing over the top, nothing skimped...just simple, clean, topical, and appropriate.

The room was very clean (and I always check) and comfortable. The drive up lodge was reminiscent of old road trip days. I loved the flower gardens, private outdoor deck/garden, fireplace, and HOT shower.

The did a great job with this little lodge! The whole area was VERY pleasant and calm. Granted, we were there at the tail end of the season, but the walk on the beach across the road with the sea lions in the morning was amazing.

Service was decent. Nothing fancy...just refreshing!

3  Thank JimAtlanta