“Well located Beachfront Inn, but minimal outdoor facilities for lounging privately”
Review of Sea Otter Inn

Sea Otter Inn
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
Reviewed 16 August 2014

NIce to get off the road and stay in Cambria on way up the coast. While it is close to the beach, there wasn't really anywhere to sit outside. No chairs in front of rooms, and the benches were few and far between. The Adirondack chairs are only for a couple of the rooms in front. The pool was great----heated and with a hot tub. Continental bkfst was adequate, but we still felt like we needed to load up on more food before hitting the road.

Room Tip: If you want to use the chairs out front, book the front rooms. Feel free to open the windows. See...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sea Otter Inn

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I booked the Sea Otter Inn as I envisioned sitting in the inviting adirondack chairs they show on their website enjoying the ocean view and relaxing. They failed to mention that the chairs may be used ONLY by the end few rooms and are marked in bold letters that they are reserved for those rooms only. They do not offer general chairs facing the ocean for any other guests like the inn right next door offers their guests. I feel they should make this clear before booking as the picture on their website is misleading and deceptive. The cheap. plastic chairs we had in a small, confined area outside of the back door of our room had no view and loud neighbors on one side and a crying toddler on the other. Thus, we had to stay inside our room or go for a walk. Every time people came home late at night, their loud arrival and chattering would wake us up, as they often stand outside your window on the sidewalk and chat in the parking lot. The Sea Otter Inn also states "continental breakfast" in the morning. You are told to "come in the morning to pick up your breakfast tray"- a tacky, cheap cafeteria tray with 2 mini, cold, hard processed muffins, a cold, hard, awful croissant, one cold boiled egg, and terrible coffee. After 3 weeks of California travel, every accommodation was wonderful EXCEPT the Sea Otter Inn. I would never stay there again or recommend it to anyone. It was the only dark blot on a fantastic trip to California.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank dave p
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Room smelled old and was worn down. Lacked air circulation in the room. Pillows totally sucked and the pull out beds for my kids were the worst I have ever seen. I actually felt really bad for my kids having to sleep on the pull out mattresses (and my feeling is, kids can sleep just about anywhere and be fine). Blankets and comforter on the bed felt like they hand't been washed in years. As a result, I felt dirty when I woke up. Location was amazing, but next time we will definitely be staying at one of the other cute Inn's along Moonstone Beach.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank kmschnabel
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here whilst on our way from LA to San Francisco. Couldn't believe the view from the hotel. The rooms were comfortable and the staff are really friendly. You collect breakfast from the front office and take it back to the room which meant our 9 and 16 year old could have a small lie in . This hotel offers value for money and I highly recommend it. If we come back to this area we will definitely book here again.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Happywanderer1999
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We found this hotel to be a small and charming but a little on the older side. Very clean rooms with gas fireplaces. Breakfast was served in the front lobby and could be taken to your room on a tray. One of the best parts of staying at this hotel is when you walk across the street and down to the ocean. There you can watch sea lions and otters and sunsets. Beautiful ocean front area!!! Down the street is a little place to eat called Moonstone Patio where the portions are large and you can sit outside to enjoy the area. I would recommend this property to people who like to stay at a smaller hotel with a home town feeling. Pool for the kids and courtyard sitting area for each room.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank travelerP661Tl
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We stopped for a night in Cambria and stayed in Sea Otter Inn.
The staff was nice and our room was very nice!
It was like an appartment with a bathroom, little open kitchenette, fireplace and huuuuuuge bed!

Fridge and micro
Balcony at the backyard
Huge bed
Bed was super comfortable
Nice area but cold
Pool
Overall experience
Fireplace
Clean room and an environment
Free wifi
Free parking

Not anything to complain :)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1011S
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Moonstone Beach is one of my favorite places to get away to. It's a good way to break the trip between SF & LA. I've stayed in a number of the hotels on the stretch and Fogcatcher Inn was always my favorite. But this time I noticed the gardens were let go. So on the return trip I stayed at the "original" garden hotel, Sea Otter. The rooms are lovely, quiet, quality beds & bedding, fireplace. A simple breakfast (more sweet than savory) is served in the office to take back to one's room. And of course the grounds are well-maintained. I was comfortable and satisfied.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo