“Nice spot”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
San Francisco, California
“Nice spot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

My husband and I were first timers to Cambria, but it won't be our last. None of the hotels are actually ocean front because there is a road between hotel and beach, but because of the shape of the coastline some hotels are nearer the surf sounds. This hotel location does give a nice sound of ocean waves, which was nice. There are few cars going by at night and early morning so road noise is almost non existent. I loved the trail along the beach and we walked it every day. Breakfast was very good, which surprised me for buffet style. Only recommendation to owners would be to make second floor windows larger because it cuts down on ocean view, which you do not see at all if you lying down in bed. If you have a room on second floor with balcony, the view may be better. Also there is a bench by roadside (I suppose for shuttle?) out in front of hotel which drew some loud talkers and laughers until almost midnight. It seemed strange that anyone staying there would go to the bench by the street to talk and laugh so loud, when there are beautiful spots by the trail with benches and closer to beach. The thought did cross my mind that perhaps they weren't guests at all but just "the competition" trying to sour someone's opinion of the hotel. Regardless, perhaps management could monitor the situation?

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank laulea84Arkansas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Hebrew first
Aliso Viejo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We were upgraded to a large partial ocean view room on the upper floor. It was perfect---a couch, two TV's and firplace plus King, very clean and comfy. But most of all, the staff was extremely helpful, courteous and friendly. We especially enjoyed talking to Michael and sharing stories and giving us good service.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Finally came back for a repeat stay at Pelican Inn. I love this place. Outstanding staff. Yummy hot breakfast. Ocean views and access along flowered paths - absolutely glorious. Great treat drifting off to sleep listening to the sound of the gentle ocean waves. And yes, a group of pelicans was spotted during our morning walk.

• Stayed October 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Somewhat dated, spacious rooms. Very friendly and helpful staff. Great location directly across the road from the ocean. While walking along the headlands boardwalk in April, I was able to spot harbor seals (pup included), sea otter, and a whale with her calf! It's also an easy drive up the coast highway to San Simeon. The complimentary breakfast is a high quality buffet, with the staff making sure there's enough for all the guests. All-in-all, an excellent value.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

My sisters and I spent 2 nights in Cambria and it was absolutely beautiful! The drive down the coast on highway 1 was breathtaking. We've never stayed at the Pelican Inn nor were we familiar with the area. Neither of us have ever been here. Coincidentally, we came down during the Scarecrow Festival. My overall rating would've been Excellent if it wasn't for the inconsiderate group of people that were upstairs. They didn't consider that someone was sleeping downstairs below their room and they were stomping and making so much noise until almost midnight. Other than that, the hot breakfast, the sleeping quarters, the whole environment was very peaceful. I would highly recommend this place for a getaway. I could've stayed here all week.

Room Tip: Hopefully choose a room where you know that bigfoot and his family doesn't sleep upstairs.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Fresno, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

We spent 3 nights here on the beautiful Central California Coast. We had an oceanfront room on the second story. It was an amazing view and we could hear the sound of the waves all night! Moonstone Beach is directly across the street. We did not hear any street noises at all! I highly recommend asking for a room on the top floor as it makes your view of the ocean better and you won't hear people walking on top of you. We stayed in Room 208...top floor, corner unit. Excellent room with Keurig, mini fridge and microwave. I like that there is an abundance of towels in the room and Bath & Body Works shampoos and lotions. We used both the pool and the spa and were completely alone there, which was awesome. The free breakfast was amazing featuring eggs, sausage or ham...the works! The wine and cheese reception was excellent too. The staff was friendly and super helpful. I highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Second story, oceanfront....Room 208
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Stockton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

My family and I stayed in town for my niece's graduation. We had been to Cambria, but had never stayed at the Pelican Inn. The room was clean and neat, centrally located, and a view of the pool. The staff was extremely helpful and inviting. The breakfast was phenomenal, my children looked forward to that every morning. The wine and cheese hour was a bonus for my husband and I, where we could spend a half hour mingling with the other guests. I would definitely stay here again and again. Not to mention that it is right across the street from the ocean and a walking path the parallels the ocean front. Thank you for such wonderful hospitality!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family