“Perfect Inn in a sleepy beach town”

Pelican Inn & Suites
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My husband and I stopped in Cambria while visiting Hearst Castle and heading to see family in LA. The Inn is located on beautiful Moonstone Beach Drive. It's a lovely, romantic Inn that has a B&B feel to it. It is a short drive to Hearst Castle. The Inn offers wine and cheese every afternoon and a lovely breakfast buffet in the morning. Our only disappointment was that we did not have a room with a deck. Our room was tucked in a corner and had no view and was extremely warm. It did have AC, but you had to unplug the TV in order to plug in AC. Stay away from Room 217 if possible.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a deck and ocean view. Stay away from Room 217.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KB303

Reviewed 16 July 2014

The ocean front king suite was beautiful. It is very romantic with the nice ocean view with a balcony, large step-down living quarters and the most comfortable bed ever. Taking a stroll on the beach each day was convenient as the beach is just across the street. The fireplace provided for the perfect romanitc ambience all night long. The room was beautiful and clean. The only down side was the coffee maker did not function; but coffee was not a necessity for this occassion!

Room Tip: Evening finger foods available to the traveler are very good.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roberta N
Charlie320, General Manager at Pelican Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Ah Romance, something the Pelican Inn & Suites is famous for. Thank you for sharing your kind review...we love our Inn and the love shows! We look forward to your next stay with us. Cheers, Charlie Yates, General Manager

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We enjoyed our stay at Pelican Inn & Suites with my husband and 4 year old daughter. We had a Double Queen Room with a Partial Ocean View. Basically, if we stepped out of our room onto the "patio" (the walkway with chairs and a table, directly across from the pool), we could see the ocean. The room was spacious, with a small sitting area with a fireplace, couch and chair. It was enough room to make my 4 year old happy, although she loves any hotel room. The room and hotel was updated and clean and we appreciated the daily breakfast (as well as the late afternoon reception). The location to the boardwalk and beach are fantastic as we walked to all ends of the beaches with our 4 year old without a problem (including Moonstone Grill).
We enjoyed our stay, but I did feel like my 4 year old was a little on the louder side, the place was super quiet, and she isn't a yeller, but certainly not a quiet talker.
I would stay there again, I feel the value of the hotel met my expectations of comfort and ease in what the area has to offer (which isn't all that much besides the pristine beauty of the coast).
And while there isn't any air conditioning, we just opened the slider and turned on the fans... isn't that the beauty of being near the ocean?

Room Tip: If you really want an ocean view, don't get a partial view because it is really isn't any vi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your nice review. It can be a challenge traveling with children and we work hard to make the entire family feel at home. Our heated pool and spa, full hot buffet breakfast, and fresh baked cookies each night are a real family favorite! We look forward to your next visit!
All the best, Charlie Yates, General Manager

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We had an oceanfront king suite. Unfortunately we had some road difficulties and did not get in until late. We would have liked to have more time to enjoy the room and the view. The room was large and clean. It had a microwave, refrig, and fireplace. The location is perfect and right across the street from the beach and the boardwalk. It was perfect for a late night and early morning walk. We were also delighted to discover that a full breakfast was included. We would definitely recommend this hotel and stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Charlie320, General Manager at Pelican Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for your kind review! The Pelican Inn & Suites is a special place, great for couples, families and individuals. Our complimentary Hot Buffet Breakfast is a guest favorite, as is our Wine, Cheese & Dessert reception held nightly. We look forward to your return visit! All the best, Charlie Yates, General Manager

Reviewed 12 July 2014

After reading some great reviews, I thought I made a good choice with this one. Its the middle of summer, so its HOT. The room had no air conditioning, but instead a live fireplace. It took hours to figure out how to turn it off since no one was available at the front desk (I tried calling). The hot and cold on the shower was flip flopped, so that was a terrible suprise. The maid staff came into my room as I was changing after one knock and no time for me to get the door, and about 8 minutes after checkout time the staff had called my room asking 'if I need help with my luggage' which is really just a not so subtle way of saying gtfo. I did not enjoy my stay.

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write your review. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We experienced some very hot weather during your visit, not typical of our cool beach town. We strive to offer the finest in guest service and offer help with luggage daily. Please accept my apologies and we hope to see you again. Sincerely, Charlie Yates, General Manager

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I booked an Ada suite for the Fourth of July weekend. I was told it would have a view of the ocean and a roll in shower.
Upon arrival I was informed that I must be mistaken , that there was no view from our room. I was shown the room and it was narrow , hardly wheelchair friendly. The bathtub had grab bars but was very deep and would have been very dangerous .
When I asked if there was an Ada room with a view they told me yes but it was occupied. In other words they gave away the room I was promised.
The front desk staff was very rude and condescending and tried to imply that it was I who made the mistake. They refunded me but did not care that I did not have a place to stay.
I would never pay over $300 for a dark room facing another building. I think that the room offered was not acceptable and it did not meet the requirements of the ADA.
Shame on them.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Antamarie
Charlie320, General Manager at Pelican Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We take pride in offering the finest accommodations and service on the Central Coast. I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations, and that there was any misunderstanding with your reservations. Please feel free to contact me if I may be of any further service. All the best, Charlie Yates, General Manager

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Nice property, the wine and food in the evening is great. Reserved a king suite, the surprise was getting the room on the ground floor. Could see the ocean but not the beach. Sitting outside we were actually below the street level. So if you are getting the suite make sure you are on the 2nd floor otherwise it's a waste. This was our 30th anniv. No place to mention special requests on the website

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple