“Cozy inn close to the sea”
Review of Little Sur Inn

Little Sur Inn
Ranked #5 of 24 Cambria B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We recently stayed at the Little Sur Inn over the Thanksgiving holiday. The room was clean and well maintained and the bathroom was large with great amenities.
We had reserved a room with a partial ocean view, and it had a much better view than we were expecting. A lovely touch was that the room’s heat is maintained by a gas fireplace in the room which we found extremely cozy.
The continental breakfast was just right to start the day with coffee, cereal, toast, juice and a variety of pastries before a walk along the beach.
We found the staff at the front desk to be incredibly friendly and helpful. Would definitely stay at Little Sur Inn during future trips to beautiful Cambria!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KimAndDean

Reviewed 23 November 2011

I have stayed at this hotel twice now and both times have been surprised at the rude treatment by the front desk staff. Once my trip was for a family reunion and the other was for a romantic getaway. Not sure why we came back, but I guess the fear of the unknown hotel was was greater than the displeasure of the known hotel. Won't be making that mistake next year when we return.

Rooms are fairly outdated, which is fine, but the price doesn't fall in alignment with the status of the room. I get it, you're ocean front in a quaint little town, but next time, I'd rather just stay inland and not pay the higher rates for subpar rooms and service.

Also, as other visitors noted, the hotel makes no qualms about overcharging your credit card and forcing you to call to argue before "kindly" refunding. I love Cambria, but Little Sur - not so much.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Lulu_Two
littlesurinn, Owner at Little Sur Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2011

We sent you a message via your TripAdvisor account to give us the specifics of your concerns so that we could properly address them, however, to date we still have not received a response from you.

Little Sur Inn never randomly charges any of our guests' credit cards. As stated on the Registration card you signed at check-in Little Sur Inn is a pet free and smoke free property, any guests' violating these policies will be charged accordingly.

Having 2 of the newest hotels in Cambria, Little Sur Inn was built in 2001 and just celebrated our 10 year anniversary. Being family owned and operated, we take pride in insuring all rooms are clean and fresh at all times, including the exterior. Our pricing has always been in line with other comparable hotel properties in our area.

We apologize that you weren't completely satisfied with your recent visit and hope that you give us an opportunity to provide you with a more memorable experience in the future.

Best Regards,
Little Sur Inn Management

Reviewed 9 November 2011

What a find this is! We loved it! Friendly, helpful desk people, immaculate rooms, good location, attractive pricing, continental breakfast that stays open to 10 AM. What more could you want?
But a word on Cambria gas stations: I don't want to say they are gouging people, but both the Chevron and Shell stations in town were charging $4.49 for unleaded gas on the same day I bought it in Morro Bay, 21 miles or 26 minutes away by Highway 1, for $3.91. 58¢ per gallon, really!!

Room Tip: The top of the parking lot, the office, most of the rooms, and any handicapped access is on the uppe...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2011

We stayed two nights in late September, 2011 in one of the upper floor ocean-front rooms. The view of Moonstone Beach was well worth the extra cost. The room itself was large and clean. The bed was okay, but I would have preferred a pillow top over the firm mattress. The bathroom was large with a jetted tub and separate shower stall. The room came equipped with a fridge, small microwave and coffeemaker. The hotel provided a continental breakfast which featured bread (with toaster), small pastries, bagels, cream cheese, assorted jams, instant oatmeal, corn flakes and milk, yogurt, fruit, coffee and orange juice. There are dining tables inside the lobby and a wonderful garden patio outside with additional tables and chairs. The hotel had an excellent Wi-fi signal--an important consideration that is often exaggerated by hotel websites. There is a seafood restaurant next door (we didn't try it) and a bar and grill less than a half-mile down the road. Moonstone Beach has a charming boardwalk alongside the road with many stairway access points to the beach below. We had a great time at the Little Sur Inn and wouldn't hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Upper floor ocean front rooms are worth the extra cost and seemed to stary warm all night long even...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I made a last-minute reservation here during my drive down the Pacific coast for one night, Sept. 13. I tried to book from my smartphone but wouldn't work so I called. The front desk clerk was very nice and helpful. She also made a dinner reservation for me and helped with directions. The room was spacious, very clean and comfortable. They gave me a reasonable rate of $100 which I think normally would have been for a lesser room but I received one that was big and on the 2nd floor closer to the ocean (the building juts out from the ground so think of it as a split level building of sorts). The heat came from the fireplace which I didn't need to use. There was a full sized table close to the windows with, I think, 4 chairs around it. The bathroom was quite clean and spacious as well. Plenty of parking and the ocean/beach right across the street. I really didn't notice the traffic being heavy or noisy, but I came in at dusk and left by 9am.

The only two possible minuses, and I think they're pretty minor, is the continental breakfast was a little sparse and the office closes up by 8pm (I think, and I imagine they have an after-hours number but I didn't need it).

Final note, it also wasn't far from Hearst Castle so it's a good stopping point if you're traveling on Highway 1.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room, as I think some on the first floor may have limited daylight because th...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 September 2011

The place looked nice from the outside. But we never got in. While traveling we tried to make a reservation on the website the night before arriving in town The website kept timing out. We thought we hadn't made a reservation, so we made a reservation somewhere else nearby. The next day they called and said they were charging us anyway because the reservation did get through, even though we didn't know that.

To be fair, they did forgive the second day's reservation charge. They said they couldn't afford to give us the first night. Yet they sent us a coupon for a free night -- after we told them we had no plans to be in that part of the country, so we wouldn't use it. This felt like a double cop-out; they sent it to us because we wouldn't use it. Otherwise, why send it? If they can't afford to eat the cost of a night because of the computer screw-up, why can they suddenly afford to eat the cost of a free night from a gift certificate? I think their approach to customers or potential is textbook abomindable.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank PaulBass_11
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We decided to take a drive up the California Coast for sight seeing. We only stayed at the Little Sur Inn for one night on this trip as we were only passing through. Before we checked in, we stopped by 3 hotels along this stretch. Little Sur Inn was the first place we stopped to get room rates/availability etc. As soon as we walked in, the feeling was right. Clean and cute. We got the rates and decided to look into two others down the way per the advice of fellow TripAdvisors. The other two were nice as well, however the rates weren't as competitive. The Blue Dolphin had a nice reception area as well, although the rates for a partial view was more expensive than an Ocean Front at the Little Sur Inn. All rates were around $170+/night plus 11% tax and free continental breakfast. Little Sur Inn offered $10off for AAA members so we got the OceanFront room for around $180 with the discount including tax. The room was amazing!! Our room was on ground level and offered two queen beds, nice large bathroom with enclosed glass shower & jet bathtub, mini fridge & microwave, sitting area w/ breakfast table, and a nice gas fireplace that gave great ambiance and heated the room perfectly. All lead out to a very spacious lanai with seating for four which overlooks an incredible ocean view. The double paned windows and doors blocked out 90% of the outside noise (ocean/ occasional passing cars), however when open, the sounds of the beach were tranquil. Just a couple miles up from Chambria proper, you are a close drive to the town full of restaurants and shops or you could cross Moonstone Drive and walk/jog/ride bikes along the new boardwalk or go down to the beach. All in all, it was a great stop on our coastal adventure. We eventually made our way up to Hearst Castle and then enjoyed the beautiful drive to Big Sur, both a must see. Would highly recommend and will gladly return for another visit.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple