“Doesn't like foreigners or anyone else for that matter!”
Review of Moonstone Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cambria
Moonstone Inn
Ranked #21 of 24 Cambria B&B and Inns
Chicago
“Doesn't like foreigners or anyone else for that matter!”
Reviewed 17 September 2008

DO NOT STAY HERE! Its simply awful. There are so many good hotels on Moonstone and on the Central Coast. The lady at the desk is a miserable host and doesn't like Europeans or any visitors for that matter.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mrobins11

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Gilroy, California
Reviewed 27 August 2008

We stayed one night and the views were good, the location awesome, but the room felt like a night at Grandmas. Older furnishings, seemed a little dusty. Broken curtains!
The perks were fresh baked cookies, a tray with breakfast delivered in the morning, the spa, and the price.
The dissapointments were the crotchity older lady in the office, the kindy dingy room and the useless coupons they provide upon check-in.
Will have to go back and check out other places...

• Liked — the sound of the ocean
  • Disliked — the problems
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank rdchiona

Travellers are raving about these Cambria hotels

Ireland
Reviewed 22 August 2008

Where do I even start??? This place was one of the worst experiences of my life. There are so many negatives to it that I do not even know where to start. My husband had driven all day and needed somewhere to stay and following the advice of the Lonely Planet that Moonstone Beach was a good place to stay we headed in that direction. We passed The Moonstone Inn and from the outside it looks like the most quaint little place that you could find overlooking the beach. HOW WRONG WE WERE!!!!! We should have been alerted by the fact that the woman on reception had absolutely no customer service skills but I can cope with that -I come from Britain after all. When commenting on the local wildlife in the area she stated that they had seagulls and some other birds!!Hardly a rare species!!!She made no mention of the existence of large numbers of pelicans or the very rare elephant sea colony 8 miles north.

The room!!!!It was like something out of the 50's. I can cope with things being old but I cannot cope with them being dirty and broken. The carpet was the dirtiest thing that I have ever seen. It appeared to have old oil stains all over it . I had to wear my shoes at all times. I looked in the bed and there were hairs on the bedclothes- I think that the bed had been slept in before and not laundered. The bathroom was ok except there was soap stains on the bath obviously from the last occupants and the window in the bathroon was broken and did not close properly. The front door had a piece of wood missing from the bottom of it and it looked like the door had been either kicked in or out. The inside of the door was meant to be white but you could hardly tell as it was so dirty.

The breakfast the next morning appeared to be ok but I could not bring myself to eat it because I kept wondering if it was as dirty as the rest of the motel. I have learnt a valuable lesson from this experience-ask to see the room. I actually think that I will never get over how dirty this was and that the owners run an establishment like this. We stayed there because on the outside of the motel there was an AAA sign-I even question that and will be informing them as I can' t understand why they would want to be associated with an establishment like this. The only thing that I can do for you all is inform and hope that no-one ever stays there again!!Maybe the owners will stand up and take customer's feelings on board!

• Liked — nothing!!!!!!!!
  • Disliked — The dirt!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank Herbiegoesbananas
USA
Reviewed 30 July 2008

A cute place on the outside, but beware when you enter their guest rooms. The rooms are so outdated and dirty, even the wall hangings are clumped with dust (see my pictures for proof). This is one of those places that you need to bring your own sheets and pillows. When we removed the sheets to check it there were hairs in the bed. Obviously they hadn't been washed in a while. There was no way we were going to sleep under the sheets- so gross! My husband and I slept in our jeans and sweatshirts with bath towels on top of the bed. To give the motel some credit the plain bathrooms seem to be remodeled and their "complimentary" breakfasts served to your room every morning aren't too bad. But may I suggest to go someplace else!

• Liked — the breakfast in the morning
  • Disliked — dirty bed
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 31 March 2008

My husband booked us a room at Moonstone Inn after viewing it on the internet. The moment we pulled into the driveway, we knew it wasn't going to be what it was advertised as. We had one of those 2nd story rooms with ocean view (by the way, there are only 2 such rooms), but the lady at the desk warned us not to get to close to the railing as it needed repair -- that was an understatement, 1/2 of it was missing! The door to our room looked like someone had tried to kick it down. Going inside didn't get any better, it was dingy, the carpet was badly stained and dirty, and the painted over wallpaper was peeling away from the wall heater. No fireplace, the TV was old, the remote was taped together, and inspite of having cable, there were stations we couldn't get. The bathroom wasn't any better. The robes have certainly been around for a while, they were so stiff that I had no desire to use one. The towels were dingy and thin. Then there was black mold or mildew around the edges of the ceiling and the window. Taking a shower was a major feat as it took some real doing to figure out which way to turn the faucets to get the right temperature of water. When I finally got it right, all of a sudden the water pressure dropped and all I got was a cold trickle. Breakfast was okay if you like warmed up Costco muffins, but the delivery to your door on a silver tray was a nice touch and the hot chocolate was very good. We had planned on staying for 3 days, but checked out that morning and found a much nicer hotel down the street that was $15.00 less a night. Lesson learned, next time we'll do a bit more homework.

• Liked — Breakfast was okay
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NotaDiva
ca
Reviewed 28 March 2008

We stayed at the Moonstone Inn over Easter Weekend.

The location is great, just across from the beach and down the street from Cambria.

The hotel staff brough us breakfast on a silver tea set which was nice.

The hotel is not 4 or 5 stars, but it doesnt cost a 4 or 5 star price either.

Overall I thought it was a good value for the money.

Stayed March 2008
sunnyvale ca
Reviewed 21 March 2008

The person at the desk was rather rude to begin with. When we got there she was not any better. We traveled with another couple and their room was ok but ours was completey worn out. Carpets, sofa, bedspread were dirty. Floor tiles and bathtub had cracks. Walls were beat up and needed painting. Breakfast was a nice touch but wouldn't stay again.

Stayed March 2008