“Great Place for Conversation”
Review of The Tea Cozy - CLOSED

The Tea Cozy
Price range: US$7 - US$35
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Tea Cozy is an authentic English tea room located in Cambria, California on historic Bridge Street and residing in the Thorndyke House built in the 1870's. We are just minutes away from America's enchanted Hearst Castle and proudly serve homemade traditional British lunches and tea all day. The Tea Cozy is pleased to offer an array of tea blends that you won't find anywhere else. We also carry gifts for the tea lover and a wide variety of English groceries. Please visit us or shop online.
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Had lunch today at the Tea Cozy. What a pleasant experience. Spent a leisurely two hours - excellent selection of teas, yummy sandwich, and scones. Never felt rushed. Allowed time to visit with family and friend. If you want to eat quickly and jet out to do something else then this is not the location.

2  Thank Olivia2840

Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

One of the few traditional English tea rooms I've come across in the area.
Excellent food and great tea. Staff is quiet and leaves you alone plenty, but always around if you need them.
They have a great three tier high tea tray with scones, tea sandwiches, fresh fruit and desserts ranging from biscuits to petit fours.
Their English cheddar and chutney sandwich is one of the greater things to grace this earth.
They also sell tea, teapots and a decent selection of British foods such as snacks, mustards and sauces.
They have a rotating selection of specials and I have yet to try something I didn't love.

1  Thank Jane R
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I'm not a big tea drinker at all, but I wanted to try something new with a friend. I made reservations ahead of time and she needed handicap access. We went along the side where the ramp was, but the door was locked. I had to go in and ask them to open the door. Bathrooms are NOT handicap friendly! Tiny and hard to move, but I realize its a very old house and they did what they could. Our server was a delightful young lady who had to go to soccer practice before we were done. Service was fine, it was nice and while it seemed a bit pricey it was an nice experience. We ordered the tiered plate for 2. At first I thought .......okay this is nothing but I was FULL in no time with left overs to take home. I ordered the chicken salad and egg salad which were very tasty. I don't think we got to meet the owner who from the reviews is less than friendly. Our experience was pleasant. Not an everyday place to eat, but a nice get-a-way that is difference. Probably nothing like the typical English Tea house, but hey the closest tea house to Cambria I know is in Lompoc which is a good 1.5 hr away. This place was much nicer.

1  Thank soco-latte
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

As an English person, I was a little bemused to find this place in the centre of California. They serve good tea, that's for certain. However, the atmosphere was a little too twee for me and the prices a little too high. Still the tea, if not the decor, was a welcome taste of home.

2  Thank BenPrax
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We have been here three or four years running - usually with kids in tow. If you have young kids, navigating the tea room can be a bit tight but the back patio is sunny and nice. Last year, its garden was beautifully maintained but this year (2013) it is a tad overgrown.

Still, the selection of teas - many proprietary blend - is amazing. Try the Glory Bee if you like fruity! The sandwiches are very good and for the past two years, they have offered a strawberry milkshake made with their homemade jam that is simply to die for! Their monthly specials were also quite good and you can never go wrong with jam and clotted cream!

No, the Tea Cozy is not cheap. No, it is not strictly British. Yes, the owner (we saw her several times in 2012 but not on this trip) was a tad rough. She quickly warmed up though when she learned we were repeat visitors. For us, trip to Cambria is not complete without a spot of tea on a sunny patio.

2  Thank MichelleM650