“Great Catch on Moonstone Beach”

Sea Chest Oyster Bar
Ranked #5 of 48 Restaurants in Cambria
Price range: US$23 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner
Surrey
“Great Catch on Moonstone Beach”
Reviewed 16 July 2008

We were staying at the Moonstone Landing next door and were recommended to eat at the Sea Chest, explaining that they don't take reservations. So we had a stroll along the beach to work up an appetite then headed into the restaurant at about 8.30, and given a table immediately by the side window in view of the bustling bar and kitchen. We both got up to look at the specials on the blackboard and the helpful chefs pointed to meals cooking on the burners to help our selections. The portions looked so huge that we asked to share the Sole, one of the specials. For a few dollars they divided the meal onto two plates, complete with vegetables and we both had perfect sized meals of delicious food. The atmosphere, bustly and cosy, is a perfect medley of friendly locals and happy visitors, all enjoying this great little fish restaurant.

1 Thank surreylady50

• Turkish first
California
“WOW, WHAT A TREAT!”
Reviewed 9 July 2008

After reading reviews from 1-5, we decided to give The Sea Chest a chance...and boy, were we glad we did! The inn told us to wait until 7 when the first people in had finished, and it worked...we didn't wait even one minute. I ordered the scampi with pasta...but when my plate came, my husband said, "She only ordered the shrimp scampi, not the shrimp and scallops." The waitress was overly apologetic, offering to remove the scallops and add more shrimp...but the scallops looked yummy, so I decided to keep the order. Even then, she still wanted to give me extra shrimp...but I politely declined. The portion was huge. Both the shrimp and scallops were tender and very delicious...I was glad I kept the mistake!!! The pasta was loaded with tiny button mushrooms and capers. My whole dish was scrumptious. At the end of the meal, I said to our waitress, "I don't know who made the mistake with my order, but I am so happy he/she did! This was just perfect!" My husband ordered the local sea bass and was also pleasantly happy with his choice. The waiters/waitresses were very attentive...perfect beginning to a perfect mini-vacation.

San Francisco, CA
“Nice meal”
Reviewed 21 May 2008

We were staying right next door so we decided to try the Sea Chest for dinner. We got there in the late evening, past 8:30pm, and there was still a short wait for a table. They have a nice waiting room with games like Connect Four, dominoes and Trivia Pursuit to keep you occupied. They have several kinds of fresh fish listed on the board that you can choose from. The portions are very large and the fish is prepared simply. The halibut was great. Unfortunately my sea bass towards one end was a bit undercooked, but by then I couldn't eat any more. Side vegetables were nicely done. Don't forget your cash since they don't take credit cards.

usa
“Overpriced, overcooked, overcrowded”
Reviewed 20 May 2008

On a two week trip on the central coast this meal was memorable- but not a good memory. The fish was overcooked. Reservations are not accepted and we waited an hour after being told that it would be a half hour or just a little more. After tasting their food, we do not understand the crowds.

1 Thank gsrs
Modesto, California
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 12 May 2008

We had been looking forward to eating at the Sea Chest after hearing rave reviews. We tried to make a reservation and was told it was first come first serve - no reservations accepted. We arrived fairly early on a Monday night and even though the place was very busy we were able to get a table. While waiting to be seated I noticed a sign that said no credit cards were accepted - cash or checks only. I don't know about the rest of you travelers but I don't normally carry alot of cash with me on vacation.
What business in their right minds in the year 2008 does not take credit cards....and what fools they are to accept checks from travelers from all over the world. Needless to say after checking the old wallet, I had several credit cards and very little cash and of course no check book, so we had to give up our table and leave. I'm sure the food would have been great but this is a terrible, terrible business practice for a restaurant that caters primarily to travelers. So beware...if you go..take cash..and lots of it because I didn't see anything under $25 on the menu.