“Could eat here every night....”

Sea Chest Oyster Bar
Ranked #5 of 48 Restaurants in Cambria
Price range: US$23 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: View, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Closed on Tuesdays, cash only, no reservations, and I believe only open for dinner - situated in the heart of Moonstone Beach and next door to Little Sur Inn - brilliant place to stay. I had been in Cambria many times, this place was highly spoke of, but I have never got around to eating here before now - and I am so happy I did and will be stopping off here again!

Our wait was not bad - about 10 minutes - very friendly/attentive staff - somewhat limited menu - depending on the fresh seafood on offer, not cheap but very huge servings - if you are a small eater, you may want to share a plate - neither my mum nor i were able to finish our meals - it has the feel of an old sea shanty - somewhere that pirates would feel at home in - and very comfy seats. We were up the back, which was fine, but people have told me the front room with a view of the ocean and the chefs at work is where to request....

Really enjoyed ourselves - the only odd thing was - due to the water shortage on the Central Coast - you cannot get tap water, they request you buy bottled water at 35c each - no big deal and testament to the severe drought that we're having in California...this area is taking it more seriously than the rest of the coast!.

1  Thank Yvonne M
There are newer reviews for Sea Chest Oyster Bar

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

When in Cambria, one must go to the Sea Chest. Cash only, long wait, very casual, and all worth it so one can indulge in the oysters casino. It is our getaway romantic date after a walk along the water. We love sitting at the bar and watching the chef's work.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We eat at the Sea Chest whenever we are in town. It is the best restaurant in Cambria for sea food. Always fresh and a variety offered make it the perfect choice for fish heads. From the oysters to the salmon to shrimp with clam chowder or the salad with the blue cheese balsamic dressing....let's not forget the sour dough bread, it's the best!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

There aren't many restaurants on Moonstone, and truth be told, I only had dinner at one. LOL This one. I ate here years ago with my family and we loved it. I returned again this June with a friend. We weren't that hungry so we only ordered two appetizers to share. The shrimp cocktail and the steamed clams. We also had a glass of wine. No reservations are taken, and they do not accept credit cards. Cash or check only. There is a wait, but with the gorgeous view you have, the time seems to fly by. A fire pit is outside where you can sit and drink your wine and look at the ocean. Or they have a small bar area with decks of cards laying around for you to use.

1  Thank losinginla
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I each chose fish and they were two of the freshest fish we've ever had. We were staying at a hotel on Moonstone, so it was a delightful walk along the wooden path to and from dinner. We'll definitely return to the Sea Chest. Two things to be aware of: they do not take reservations and they do not take credit cards. So go early and go prepared with cash.