“One of the Best Meals on the Central Coast”

Sea Chest Oyster Bar
Ranked #5 of 47 Restaurants in Cambria
Price range: US$23 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood, Soups, American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Atascadero, California
“One of the Best Meals on the Central Coast”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I go there on special occasions....We love to sit at the oyster bar, and watch the chef's make the food right in front of us. You better get there early, the line goes down the street. You can bring a bottle of wine, and have a glass or two while you wait for the restaurant to open, and watch the ocean across the street. The menu is always amazing. They offer specials with various fresh fish, mussels, oysters, calamari....its all good. We have yet to have a bad meal there...Make sure you bring cash, no credit or debit accepted.

• Visited December 2013

• Turkish first
“Perfect time”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

we found this restaurant by accident. The wait was short since it was a Monday. The wait staff was customer-oriented and friendly. The food was great and plentiful. The sea bass, local fish, was great and nicely cooked, very light. The cioppino was wonderful, fresh and again, plentiful. We also had local oysters and were fresh. Great place to eat and fun! Last item, cash only, no credit cards accepted.

London, United Kingdom
“Awful”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Any good seafood restaurant needs to buy fresh quality fish. The chef should have thrown out the fish that was served to us. As soon as I saw it I could tell it wasn't fresh and was a poor cut of fish. I had what was supposed to be fresh local sea bass which was dry and old (but not overlooked , just low quality). My wife had swordfish which again just looking at it was an old bad cut of fish.

5 Thank corb555
Los Angeles, California
“Quaint but stuffy”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The restaurant itself is situated directly across the street from moonstone beach, looking out into such a picturesque setting!
If you go on a Saturday evening, be prepared to wait (about 45 minutes to an hour). Thankfully, you have the option of waiting in their tiny (english pub style) waiting area which is quite stuffy or you can relax out by the fire pits and look at the ocean whilst sipping some vino! My choice was the latter...being a solo traveler this time around, it was nice to sit around a fire pit with fellow travelers and strike up random conversations. Great outdoor feature to this place in such a gorgeous setting!
Be prepared to pay with cash only (no ATM available either).
I couldn't commit to giving this place a full 5 or even 4 and perhaps it was my meal choice (should have stuck with my gut instinct and gotten the oysters). Instead, I opted for a "catch of the day". The fish itself was overcooked and a little bit rubbery (disappointing), the vege's tasted as if they've sat under a heating lamp in a cafeteria but the roasted potato and the clam chowder were delicious. But quite pricey for such an underwhelming, lackluster meal.
I would definitely come back just to sip wine by their fire pits though!

1 Thank CaliGirl_90245
Los Angeles, California
“Beautiful Anniversary Dinner”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We arrived on the later side (I'm told there's a wait earlier), about 8:30. We were seated immediately. When we couldn't decide on wine, we were offered tastes, which I really appreciate. There was a chalkboard listing all the fresh fish. My husband had a local sea bass that was perfectly cooked. They were also happy to deal with his food allergies and restrictions. i had perfect oysters, an average clam chowder, and the dinner salads were big with lots of veggies (not just lettuce on a plate). They must have overheard us toast our anniversary, because after the meal was cleared, they brought us a dessert with a candle and said Happy Anniversary! That was a very nice touch. We enjoyed our romantic dinner and would definitely go back. Four stars instead of five because it is quite pricey and they dont' take credit cards - beware!