“Great stop in Cambria”

Her Castle Homestay Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #11 of 23 Cambria B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 August 2008

I was trying to find a fun place to stay as we drove up the coast. This looked promising. From the moment I called and talked to Eleanor until we left, I felt it met my expectations. The queen room was very comfortable and I couldn't believe all the extra touches that were available. The hosts were very good about making sure that they were meeting any needs we might have.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Peg P

Reviewed 24 July 2008

My husband and I stayed here in June in the King room, with my sister and her boyfriend in the Queen room. Eleanor was fabulous even before we arrived. I called about directions and mentioned we had reservations the night before in Big Sur but were concerned about road closings due to fires. She appeared truly concerned and gave me a number of good suggestions, including information about the CalTrans website which was invaluable.

As others have mentioned, the rooms were great, the King bath is extraordinary and there is enough food in the room to live for a month if one somehow one got stuck in there! We were not just encouraged but commanded to take bottles of water from the room as we were leaving to drive up the coast.

I really loved getting early coffee and having a chance to drink it and wake up before going up to breakfast. We also really enjoyed visiting with our hosts. However, as they state on the website, this is totally up to the guest. If you're the kind of person who wants a nice room but wants to keep to yourself, you'll be fine here.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank karla79
Reviewed 1 May 2008

My husband and I stayed in the King room which is an enormous room with a wonderful bed, cable TV and plenty of space to move into if you wanted to stay a week or two. Eleanor and Bill are delighful hosts with plenty of suggestions for what ever you ask. They provided a welcoming wine and cheese tray when we arrived and always had other little goodies available (for free) whenever we even thought of snacks!! There was even a little refrigerator on the private deck full of sodas, water, and a bottle of wine. The attached private bathroom was large with two sinks and a tub/shower with plenty of soaps, shampoos and other little necessities and lots of large fluffy towels!

Before we arrived, Eleanor send a package with brochures of things to do in the area and excellent directions to her place and even suggestions regarding where to get gas.

We cannot say enough about the breakfasts - the food was more than plentiful and simply delicious. We had a fantastic 3 nights with them and would definitely return. Cindy and Steve

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tweas
Reviewed 14 April 2008

I have never written an online review, but Her Castle was so unique that I had to jump on here and write a review. My husband and I stayed in the King Room at Her Castle and it was a truly unbelievable experience. I should begin by saying that Eleanor called us the week before our stay (we had booked the Queen room) to let us know that the king room was available and she would upgrade us for no additional charge because another couple booked the Queen room. SO GENEROUS! This set the tone for the whole weekend. We stayed over Easter weekend and the room was decorated with Easter goodies on the dresser.

The rooms are on the bottom floor of the main house, but are totally private and have separate entrances. The king room is terraced into the hillside and faces out into a lovely garden. When you're sitting on the porch, you feel as though you are in a redwood grove. It is gorgeous!

When we arrived Eleanor brought us a bottle of wine on a tray with a whole bunch of goodies. We sat on the porch and had a lovely evening. We then went to dinner in nearby Cambria. That evening after dinner we came back to the room and watched a movie with the fireplace going and on the cushy bedding. Bed was very comfy and the provided robes were too!

The next morning we got our early morning tray delivered about an hour before breakfast which was great. Tons of magazines in the room to read on the porch with our coffee. Loved it!! Eleanor and her husband were there for breakfast which was great because they recommended a great hike after breakfast.

I LOVED THIS PLACE! Recommended it to friends and family already.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank mmckeown
Reviewed 4 December 2007

There's so many good things to say about this place. If you like a low key, cozy, quiet and intimate place to stay with a special someone, this is the place to be.

I've never stayed at a B&B before, and since my bf and I were on a budget, we opted to try this out. What a pleasant surprise it was!

To start off, they only have 2 rooms. Mind you though, it's not just any room. This place is at par with 3-4 star hotels because of the service and attention to detail. You don't have to bring anything because they think of everything! From fluffy bathrobes and fuzzy slippers, to soft comfy bed with a thousand pillows, complimentary candies (bowls and bowls)and cookies, even popcorn, dental floss, couple bottles of wine!!, cans of soda and juice...yeah they're free!

Eleanor together with her hubby Bill are the innkeepers and they make sure everything is going great during your stay.

They have a welcome wine and cheese tray during your arrival. Although my bf and I didn't get the time to have this wine and cheese because we were running late for our hearst castle tour, they ask when the most convenient time is for you to have it.

Okay, so they keep you happy and fat! In the morning, they bring you a 'pre-breakfast' tray with your favorite hot beverage, some fruits and a big pastry to share with your hunny. Then breakfast is served at the common kitchen at 9am and be prepared to skip lunch. Eleanor makes a wonderful breakfast. During our stay, we had scrambled eggs, fresh fruit salad, homemade quiche, her special olalieberry french toast (5 stars!), ham, potatoes, and then there's toast. I might missed out a few but here's a guarantee--you won't leave hungry! You can even request something for breakfast, and she's gonna insist you speak up. There were so much food on the table, we really couldn't think of anything else.

The room also had cable tv for the couch potato..but really, in a pretty place like Cambria and nearby Paso Robles where there's so much to do, who'd stay indoors during the day? They absolutely made our first B&B experience something to look forward to in our future travels.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Addicted_to_yelp
Reviewed 19 November 2007

My husband and I flew into San Luis Obispo on 11.14.07. We needed a one night stay in Cambria before we headed to Hearst Castle and then up Rt. 1 to San Fran. We read the reviews about this place and it seemed well worth a try.

Upon arrival, we toured the grounds and found it to be artsy and welcoming. The owner has little nick-nacks and treasures all over. We were welcomed with a wonderful tray of snacks (cheese, crackers, dip, chocolates) and wine. Ah, what a fantastic way to start our vacation. There is a private and peaceful deck off the back of the king suite where we enjoyed the treats. Afterwards, we headed off to Sow's Ear (WOW!!! - a must try) for dinner. And then to top off the long day of traveling, we climbed into a soft, luxurious king size bed. If you wanted a mint/chocolate on your pillow, you don't have to reach far, there is food all around the room for your consumption.

In the morning, we got up early to go to the Hearst Castle. The owners were kind enough to get up early enough to drop off tea and a continental breakfast at our door. And yes, I had more relaxing time on the deck with some tea. About an hour later, we were served a feast of delicious foods - my favorite was the french toast with Ollalieberry (sp??). Yummy.

Did I mention the endless food and drinks? We were told to take snacks and drinks from the room for our trip North. What a great idea and no additional charge! There are endless maps, books, and brochures to read (and take with you) on the area.

Thank you again and again. We hope to come back soon and spend more time.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank EastCoastCouple
Reviewed 27 August 2007

This is an incredible experience. Classes should be given to show others how to give service like this. Every need has been anticipated. Wow! I can't say enough good things about the place and the people. No KIDDING! How impressive.

Stayed: August 2007