“I create a tripadvisor account for Her Castle”

Her Castle Homestay Bed and Breakfast Inn
Ranked #10 of 24 Cambria B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 January 2014

As another review shows, Her Castle is a real B&B. Eleanor and Bill are wonderful persons.
When they knew that our arrival day is my mother's birthday, they prepared a lot birthday surprise in her room and even prepared a birthday cake when I couldn't find a place to buy one. All details in Her Castle were well considered, and there were even different kinds of shampoos to choose from.
I love all the decorations in Her castle, that made me start to decorate my apartment after I came back.
In a word, Her Castle is a wonderful place. If you are travelling to Cambria, DON'T miss it. :)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Yuntian W

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed at Her Castle for three nights. We arrived much later than anticipated, and because of the mobile ‘phone reception on the Big Sur, we were unable to give them much warning. We were however given a warm welcome by Eleanor, who provided us with a delicious range of snacks and a bottle of wine. I have to say at this point that Eleanor’s food was wonderful. The breakfasts were varied, yummy and plentiful and breakfast the next day (and every day) was preceded by a “pre breakfast” tray of yoghurt, tea/coffee and scones (which were probably the best I have tasted).

As I have said Eleanor’s breakfasts were really good, and we were usually joined by her husband, Bill who was an interesting and helpful host who gave many useful types on where to eat and what to see.

We stayed in the Queen room which was very comfortable with its own shaded decking with a fridge and microwave. I have read reviews that have suggested the room as “snug”, but we found it quite spacious and comfortable and certainly the bathroom was one of the biggest we had on our entire trip.

We had driven down the Big Sur before we arrived and when in Cambria spent another two full days exploring the coast from San Simeon down to Morro Bay and could easily have filled another day as we did not visit Hearst’s Castle or the wineries.

Whilst we were there we ate at the Sea Chest, simple food done to perfection.
When exploring San Simeon we called for a sandwich at Sebastion's General Store - delicious and too big for one person.

All in all a great B & B located in great place. We would go again when next in Cambria

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Staffstyke
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Her Castle provided a special treat for my wife and myself on our honeymoon! We spent two nights with Eleanor and Bill, and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly! We're not experienced "B&Bers," but we have to say that Eleanor and Bill made our stay absolutely delightful. We were renting the King Room, and Eleanor set out champagne, a very nice card, and balloons to celebrate our marriage upon our arrival. If that doesn't cue you in to the type of people Bill and Eleanor are, then keep reading!

Each morning's breakfast was better than the first! Eleanor is an exquisite cook! The first morning we were spoiled with homemade belgian waffles, eggs, bacon, tea, orange juice, and much more. The second morning we had a to-die-for berry crumble coffee cake, fruit salad, delicious sausage, tea, juice, and the works.

Eleanor and Bill were extremely knowledgeable and helpful with things to do in the surrounding area, and Eleanor even set up a dinner reservation for us at the lovely Robin's Restaurant in Cambria.

Overall, we were extremely happy with our stay, and it was made very memorable all to the credit of Eleanor and Bill. We thank you SO MUCH for making this stop on our honeymoon one we will remember!

Cheers! -=Scott and Aleena=-

Room Tip: Any room is great!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MidnightDecker
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Eleanor and Bill made us feel quite welcome in their home. I'm very particular about my bed and I must give a gold star where one is due! Very accommodating to our special dietary needs, and generous with knowing what comforts would make our stay enjoyable. Our hosts were gracious and our room was quiet clean and safe. An easy 5 stars.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2013

If I could give this more than 5 stars I would. My (then) boyfriend (now fiancé) took me to Her Castle for a surprise getaway to Cambria. Every detail is taken care of! Eleanor goes far beyond anything you could possibly imagine. I've traveled the world and stayed at fancy hotels, but this was more than I could have imagined. It is nestled in this quiet area and the private patio is so beautiful for "pre" breakfast. The main breakfast is phenomenal. Everything is delicious and you leave feeling so content and full. And Eleanor has information about EVERYTHING. You almost don't have to plan anything for your stay. In the planning process, my fiancé told Eleanor that it was our anniversary so we had a beautiful sign and champagne and strawberries waiting for us upon arrival, a very thoughtful touch! It was so romantic and memorable, I know we'll definitely be back!!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank oenophile79
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We were just spending the night in Cambria but wanted someplace homey as we were traveling as a family. Her Castle is not perhaps a conventional or traditional (at least in my limited experience) B&B, i.e., kind of an old Victorian with wrap-around porch, but it has the feel of one with a great, spacious room with WiFi and cable TV, with nice large bathroom en suite with all the modern requirements. There's a private entry from the main house one level down with a nice porch and view. With all this you get a bonus: some of the nicest, warmest and welcoming hosts you could ask for. They care: about you and your comfort and went out of their way to make us feel at home ... and we did! Did I mention the breakfast: waffles, fruit, souffle ... good coffee ... we'll be back!

Room Tip: We stayed in the larger of the two rooms and it was perfect for the three of us ... could easily hol...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Leslie M F
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Recently we stayed at Her Castle, in Cambria. We cannot say enough about Her Castle and the host and hostess, Bill and Eleanor. We have never in our lives stayed in a hotel or bed and breakfast accommodation that supplied our every need - from band aides to luxurious linens. Whatever you could dream of that you might need - it was there! Whatever you've forgotten, they've remembered! Bill and Eleanor are so wonderful to their guests. They take care of you from a beautiful room to a sumptuous breakfast in their dining room. We stayed in the king room, which had it's own deck, coffee pot, refrigerator, microwave, pamphlets on things to do in the area, and more. Her Castle is situated in the redwoods, but close to the beaches with walking paths that are easy to get to. Her Castle is definitely your home away from home. We will definitely stay at Her Castle again and tell our friends to stay also! Dieter and Emily Papsch

Room Tip: A great host and hostess are as important as the good room. Her Castle has both!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple