“Overnight Stay”

Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
San Diego, California
“Overnight Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

We had a wonderful experience here! While the hot tub jets were not working, everything else was wonderful.The location, staff, breakfast, and cost were worth staying there. You are right on the shore for less than one hundred per night, and you are only minutes from Hearst Castle!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsCrossen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Hebrew first
san francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

Convenient and comfortable in a great location across from the beach where you can walk out to greet squirrels, seals, sea stars and tide pools. Super friendly staff, thoughtful amenities, great toiletries (Tarocco...mmm) and crisp linens. Beds were a bit springy but rumor has it they're being updated soon. A mini fridge is always nice and it's one of the few properties with a pool and hot tub (tub in middle of renovation). Best part is the grassy lawn with adirondack chairs facing the beach so you can grab the complimentary breakfast (cereal, yogurt, pastries, coffee, hard boiled eggs, fruit til 10!) and watch the waves every morning.

Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: 2nd floor has the best views!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank pizzapassionista
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

This sweet hotel has very friendly and accommodating staff, a beautiful location with some of the nicest views on Moonstone Beach Drive, and some thoughtful extras that made the stay all the more special. The room prices are very reasonable given the location, and the rooms are clean and well appointed. We really appreciated the Adirondack chairs for relaxing and staring at the ocean, the cute (clean!) swimming pool and hot tub with ocean views, and the simple but nice continental breakfast. The location is amazing right across from Moonstone Beach where you can walk the boardwalk or climb on the rocks below and get up close views of the seals.

This is a versatile hotel - had a lovely and relaxing getaway weekend with a group of girlfriends, but could see it also being the perfect spot to come back with my kids.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank cmw486
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

I purchased a LivingSocial voucher for this overnight, and at $99 for a Saturday, it was a great value. My boyfriend and I really enjoyed our stay at Castle Inn! The views were spectacular, even from a partial-view room (labeled Oceanview on their website). I loved sitting outside on the Adirondack chairs... so pleasant. The room was pretty basic as far as decor, but it was clean and had everything we needed (shower only, newer tv, small refrigerator, table and 2 chairs, wifi, etc.). If we go back to Cambria, I would like to try Castle Inn's sister hotel, Blue Dolphin Inn, only because I have heard it is more suited for couples' stays as opposed to being family-oriented. No complaints, though!

5/5 rating based on my experience compared to my expectations. However, I would probably rate 4/5 if I were paying $150+ per night.

Room Tip: I had read a review prior to going that recommended requesting an upstairs room so I did just that...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charl0tteSays
Modesto, Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

Castle Inn is on Moonstone Drive right across the street from the ocean. The staff at this hotel was very friendly. Nice breakfast room for a continental breakfast. Only complaint rooms are old and dated. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Memoies
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

I will start off by saying that the staff here is really nice, it is right across from the ocean and there is plenty of parking. Aside from these things, everything else was mediocre, at best. The bedding and decor was outdated and they didn't even have a fitted sheet for the bed. The bathroom was super tiny. The breakfast was ok, but no warm food, just grab and go type items. We could hear people walking around and there is no sound proofing between rooms. We've stayed other places at Moonstone, and probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah K
Murrieta, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

I took my wife to Cambria for her birthday. We live in southern California so Cambria for us is a 5-6 hour drive away. We got to our hotel about 7 pm. Check in was a breeze and we got our key. Now like some have said the room was a little outdated, but did I come to Cambria sit in my hotel room all day or venture about and have fun... Of course the later. The location is GREAT!!!! You have access to the board walk right across the street. We were in the second story and had an amazing view of the coast. they have lounge chairs set up outside so you can watch the sunset. We did and I brought a little bottle of wine too :) Now back to the room. It was really not bad. Big king size bed, the restroom despite being small accommodated both my wife and I... We always take showers together and this was no exception. The breakfast was good too. Lots of little pastries that we later found out are baked in town at Allocco's Italian Bakery. I will be going back again, like I said... It was a great weekend.

Room Tip: If you can try to stay on the second floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple