“Nice place”
Review of Castle Inn

Castle Inn
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Cambria
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My husband and I, and my brother got rooms for one night on the end of a 5 night epic journey to honor our Mom's memory. We were on the ground floor. It was really cool to be able to sit in the chairs on the lawn and watch the sunset. It was cloud free and while my brother and I tried but failed, my husband claimed to have witnessed the "green flash". The breakfast served in the morning is pretty carb-loaded so I was stuck with a hard boiled egg and coffee, but husband and brother were very happy with it. The room rate was reasonable considering we were only staying one night, and a Saturday night at that. We walked to the Moonstone and had dinner. A nice short walk for some darn good food. (the walnut pesto sauce was exceptional).

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Karen F, General Manager at Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Thank you for staying with us at the end of your journey. I am glad that you were able to spend your last days of your trip at CI while honoring your mom’s memory. We are so fortunate to be located right across from the entry to the boardwalk and within walking distance to one of the best restaurants in town (Moonstone Beach Bar and Grill). I appreciate your comments on our breakfast; we have recently added “gluten free muffins”. We are planning additional improvements in the near future.
We hope to see you again soon!

There are newer reviews for Castle Inn

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We spent one night here during Thanksgiving week. We had a second floor room which was well appointed though somewhat small.

We found this Inn to be quiet, our only complaint would be the lack of ability to darken the room at night. The curtain rod sits a few inches from the window and a lot of light was coming in from the top due to outoor lighting. We also found that the heat was difficult to adjust - it was either fully on or fully off.

Breakfast was good, not a lot of options but enough to sustain you for a while.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us during the Thanksgiving Holiday. I am sorry that there was a problem with the heater and the drapes. We are currently in the process of getting new drapes and the heaters are now on the daily maintenance check list so that they are fully operational at all times. I appreciate your feedback and hope you return soon.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We booked two rooms with ocean views paying a premium for them. We arrived early and had to return later to check in. I reminded the front desk staffer (super friendly fwiw) that we'd booked an ocean view room. She said that all the upstairs rooms were considered "ocean view." I said that it was important to us and that was a reason we chose this place. Our North facing rooms were in fact upstairs but the view was NOT an ocean view unless one stepped outside the room onto the walkway and looked West. There were ocean view rooms at the end that were unoccupied so I called downstairs and asked why we couldn't have those. The woman said those were already rented. Huh? We had just arrived, had booked weeks ahead and those were empty.

Apart from the lack of the promised view, the place was a basic motel but like another poster said, in a great location. Right across the street from the boardwalk and tidepools. Short walk to sandy beach. Decent enough cold breakfast buffet with a staffer who was working her behind off stocking it and keeping it clean. The other staffer, the guy who was cleaning the common areas, was also a super hard worker. He even wiped off the railings of morning dew.

The room itself was basic with some imperfections in the paint, the too-small bathroom, the messed up curtains. The place is an old motel with very very thin walls. So there were two guys next to us the last night who stayed up late talking. It was like they were in the room with me, it was so loud. I couldn't sleep, literally. Luckily, the kids were already asleep before the guys started chatting. Nothing against them, I'm sure they didn't know.

In the end, though our two families will likely do regular meet ups in Cambria, we won't be staying at the Castle Inn.

Room Tip: Get the 2nd floor West-facing rooms if you want a view. The rest of the 2nd floor rooms don't h...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank SanFranciscotoLDM
Karen F, General Manager at Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. The NEW owners are in the process of upgrading the property with new drapes and furnishings. We would love for you to return so that you can experience the new and improved Castle Inn. It will be my pleasure to take care of your lodging needs in the future.
Regards,

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We were referred here by one of their sister hotels in Paso Robles, meeting our less than $100.00 per night requirements for this leg of our vacation up the coast (Off Season ). Reservation was made, short drive to Cambria and a check in. Small corner room, Queen bed and no view. OK, we can live with it.. Next morning off to the Office to check out, receptionist can't give me a receipt for the night's stay because computer is down. We agreed on an E-mail and we left happy. Next day via phone I receive a generic thank you for stay at the Inn... When I get my credit card statement there is a $170.94 bill for the night!!! If you choose to stay here you had better check your wallet more than once before you leave the property and refuse to leave their office without a printed receipt for the agreed on amount!!!! Ocean was nice though....

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robin P
Karen F, General Manager at Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

First of all, thank you for your comments. I just read your review on Trip Advisor, so I wanted to take a moment and look into this matter. I do see that we over charged you, so I made the necessary adjustments to your statement. We strive every day for perfection, but unfortunately, we do make mistakes and may not always catch them. If in the future, you have a question about your stay or a billing question,( at any hotel) please give the Manager a call so they have the opportunity to investigate it and make it right.
Sorry for the inconvenience, and we look forward to a future stay with us.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We only spent one night but it was very relaxing and enjoyable. Highlights... GREAT location. Walking distance to restaurants and steps from beach. The chairs out on the lawn to watch sunset was perfect. We walked down to Moonstone bar and grill and had the clam chowder and a salad great..... Beds were comfortable and bathroom was cute and clean. Plenty of hot water and ice in the ice machine. Mini fridge in closet... look for it. The complimentary breakfast was ample. I totally recommend this cute clean and relaxing hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank danelle o
Karen F, General Manager at Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

I am glad to hear that you were able to RELAX during your visit to Cambria. We pride ourselves in providing a clean and comfortable room at a reasonable price. I appreciate your comments and hope your return soon.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I booked this a few weeks before a trip for a holiday weekend so availability was bit tight and this was one of the few close-to-the-beach rooms under $200. It's an old two story motel that's been fairly well maintained but does show its age. The room I booked was advertised as "ocean view" but that's a stretch. Most of the motel rooms face north and the beach is west. I could see the ocean if I stood right in front of the window looking northwest over the balcony that connects all the second floor rooms. But our room had two beds so there was no chair in front of the window and you'd have struggled to see the beach over the window sill and railing anyway. Despite the lack of a true ocean view, the motel is directly across the street from the beach so access is quick and simple. It's in a prime location on the beach boardwalk - a short walk to surfing or seal watching and a short drive to Cambria proper and to Hearst Castle.

The bathroom was tiny and shower stall was barely large enough for one adult. The mattress was a bit lumpy with a definite sound of springs as I laid down on it. The room and bathroom lacked space to set things down (e.g., toiletries, computer, ...). The room was very clean and the bathroom looked like it had a relatively recent update. I could hear some noise and voices from nearby rooms on the same floor and the one below. The included breakfast was OK but nothing lavish nor hot.

It's hard to rate this hotel fairly given it's rather pricey location. It seemed like a lot to pay for what we got but other hotels were fully booked or considerably more expensive. I was disappointed, especially with the "view". But it may have been the best room available for the money that I was willing to spend on that weekend. Another reviewer described it as an "average hotel in an incredible spot". I concur though I'd substitute the word motel for hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Just_a_Dad56

Thank you for your comments and constructive criticism. The new owners are planning improvements for their newest hotel, so we welcome any suggestions. I hope you return in the future and see what awaits you on Moonstone Beach. Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Good value motel. Clean, spacious and incredible location right opposite the beach. We had a room on the top floor at the back - we could have watched the sunset over the sea from our window (we didn't - we stood on the beach boardwalk with everyone else - it was beautiful) The stairs to the top floor were right outside our room, but we were not disturbed by people accessing their rooms. Breakfast is collected from the breakfast room - plenty to choose from and no limit to how much you can eat. This was perfect for our one night stop over as we drove from Monterey to LA, just one turning off the CA-1.

Room Tip: The room at the top of the stairs at the back has a great view of the sunset
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your very nice comments. I am glad that you enjoyed the sunset from the boardwalk on Moonstone Beach. It is also nice to hear that the breakfast selection was plentiful. There are so many hotels to choose from in the area and we were very happy that you stayed with us.
I hope you return again when traveling the Central Coast.