“Nice relaxing getaway, great hospitality”
Review of Olallieberry Inn

Olallieberry Inn
Ranked #1 of 23 Cambria B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 March 2013

What a great old home and comfortable space. Delicious breakfast and great hospitality provided by Marjory and her staff. The bed in the Cambria room is memory foam, which is nice for many, but we found it a bit uncomfortable.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 January 2013

Our hostess and her staff were first rate. So was the breakfast each morning. Our room on the second floor was across the hall from the bathroom, but the inn provided comfortable robes for the short walk. The tub shower was very small and difficult to operate, so I would recommend a different room.

Room Tip: Avoid the in-house rooms on the second floor
Reviewed 17 January 2013

We stayed in the cottage for 2 nights. The room was immaculate but a little small. There was room for a bedside table on one side of the bed but not the other. The beds and pillows are the foam variety so if that's not something you like this might not be the place for you. However, if you like plentiful, delicious breakfasts you should consider this B+B. Also if you've never had olallieberry syrup, jam or yogurt you'll want to stop here.

Room Tip: The cottage is just a couple steps from the house and is modern rather than antique.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2Finediners
Reviewed 16 December 2012

My first experience with a bed & breakfast. I took my wife for our fifth anniversary, and overall we were very pleased. The room was nice with a private bath and built-in gas fireplace. The bed was comfortable, especially the soft sheets and pillows. The breakfast was pleasant with scones, coffee, OJ, fresh fruit, scrambled eggs and either apple pancakes or granola french toast, with maple or olallieberry syrup. I did miss bacon or some other breakfast meat, but we were certainly not hungry after the meal. Each evening there is a modest appetizer and wine hour, an enjoyable time to meet other guests. The staff were all VERY friendly and helpful. I believe they have 7 or 8 rooms, and the dining table seats 8, so there are two breakfast times. We chose the late seating at 9:15 am.

Cambria itself is a little boring unless you like little artsy shops, but there are some very nice restaurants. The average meal, no matter where you choose to eat, seems to be around $25 - $30 without drinks.

If there was anything I didn't enjoy, it was the room noise. Our room was on the first floor, and we could pretty much hear everything that was going on in the room above. Luckily, those above us were not up too late, or too early.

Bottom line, we were pleased and will most likely return.

Room Tip: Try to get an upstairs room to avoid other guest noise
Reviewed 5 December 2012

We arrived about 5 pm and were greeted by a friendly college age girl that checked us in with lighting speed ! I guess she was to busy to welcome us. When my wife asked her if we could change rooms because of the noise the girl said no, although there were many other rooms available. They said it was because we used travelzoo and that was the policy. Ummm,ok, so the house is two story with wooden floors and you could hear every step anybody took for two nights. I guess the floors do add to the "charm". Plus our room the "Cambria Room " was next to the kitchen/eating area so even more noise. There is a door seperating the kitchen/eating area that the college kid said we could close but the next day when my wife closed it one of the owners opened it back up. Ok, it didnt really matter because main st is just a few steps away. Keep in mind houses built in the 1800's are not sound proof nor did they use insulation. NOISY place ! Anyway, this old house is in dire need of a remodel ! I understand it would cost about 100k to re-do this house but it very evident it is needed and the owners need to make a buck is costing them this "average" review. Anyway,I am very familiar with this field so I guess the holes in the floor bothered me, the uneven floor, the linoleum floor in the bathroom patched together, the holes in the ceiling,and the entire paint job was just terrible.. What has happened here is that the owners have patched and patched and it it is evident. Plus the peeling paint everywhere is an eyesore. Im sorry but this ol house needs to be closed and remodeled right ! The food. On a scale of 1-10 probably very close to a 7.. Problem #1. You have no choices. None. My wife happens not to like banana pancakes so she was out of luck. Eggs were runny and I doubt if anyone likes that either or if they would speak up and send them back to be prepared correctly. Same fruit dish both days, same yogurt, same spreads for crackers in the evening and same wine..Coffee was nothing special but drinkable.The awards you see (even from trip advisor ) are dated 2004,2005. I suspect the current owners bought it in the early 2000's when prices were very high and have done ok but have obviously never closed for a remodel. It seems there are 3 owners and I could only imagine the 3 of them agreeing on what to do. Which brings me to the staff. Very very nice people doing everything they know to make a buck. Problem is, they havent the experience to know..I feel bad for these people in this economy with there 50 percent occupancy but facts are facts..I also found while exploring the area there are much better value's for your dollar very nearby and if I didnt use travelzoo it would have been a terrible value..What really turned me off was they left an envelope in the room asking for "tips" for the staff. Same as Hearst castle asking for donations,, laughable to say the least...

1  Thank kkmail
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Unfortunately we arrived too late for the welcome drinks but the room was delightful, bed huge and comfortable and the breakfast absolutely delicious. Although we had our own bathroom it was not en suite, I don't know if this applies to all rooms, but they provide comfy robes for toing and froing. Ideal location for visiting Hearst Castle.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank silverfirs
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We stayed 2 nights in the Olallieberry Room which had a Queen bed. Comfy, but not an amazing mattress.
Besides the mattress, the next three things I look at in a room are these:
1. Is there sufficient lightling to read comfortably in bed? (No. Weak bulbs, wrong height. I had to lean out of bed just to get light on my book.)
2. Is there counter or shelf space in the bathroom to spread my stuff out on? (No. just a tiny glass shelf that seemed very fragile.)
3. Are the bed linens a natural fiber? (No....100% polyester. Gak...no wonder I felt sweaty.)

Also, imagine my surprise when I saw a TUB only in the bathroom. No shower! No way to easily wash my hair! That was almost a deal buster. Another thing I wish the inn had was a communal living room where I could get away from my room, or read quietly, or just relax.

The things that I really liked about the inn: nice breakfast rooms with good food. Free wireless. Very friendly staff. Nice garden and garden seating on a deck or out in the garden. Cute little gas fireplace in the room that really cranked out the heat. And FABULOUS cookies on our beautifully-made beds everyday.

Room Tip: The bottom floor Santa Rosa room has a King bed and a shower down the hall (not inside the room...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple