“Great B&B”

Ranked #5 of 24 Cambria B&B and Inns
Zurich, Switzerland
“Great B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Beautiful B&B!! We (Swiss couple, 30/27yrs) were on a cross-country road trip and stayed here on our way from SF to LA.

The garden and the two houses are gorgeous! Unfortunately, it was raining when we were there - but the patio is perfect to hang out and spend some time.

Only downside was that breakfast is seated and only served at two specific times. Which makes it difficult for early-birds like us who have to leave early to reach the next city. I'd rather have a small buffet or a come-when-you-want option.

The other issue which arose was that the toilette got clogged. But they were very nice and solved everything for us.

Room Tip: We had the sunrise room. It's in the second house right next to the main building.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Petaluma, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We loved our stay at the Olallieberry Inn years ago, and this time it was just as magical. The grounds and inn are beautiful and cozy. We checked in late, and our spacious room was lit up and welcoming after a long day of traveling. It was so quiet and comfy, we slept like babies. Delicious breakfast in the morning kept us going throughout our visit to Hearst Castle. The owners are lovely. We will stay there again and again.

1 Thank Sunshine411
Felton, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Good location if you want to be in town. Good bed. Breakfast was very good and afternoon wine social was enjoyable. Creaky floors and thin walls. San Simeon room was next to kitchen so we got early morning talking and rattling of utensils. Folks above us talked till late into the nite and we could hear every word. Nice gardens.

Room Tip: San Simeon room has its own bath but next to kitchen. Can be noisy.
Paso Robles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Beautiful Victorian, good breakfast. The water shortage in Cambria is truly having an effect on the town. The garden at the inn is still beautiful but the creek that should run on the property is dry. We would probably not stay there again but if Victorian B&Bs are your thing you will be pleased.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Olallieberry Inn is a really beautiful B&B, located in an historic old mansion on the main street of Cambria. The house itself was originally built in 1874, and later purchased and expanded by one Benjamin Franklin, the son of civil war veteran Colonel William H. Franklin and the great-grandson of none other than Founding Father Benjamin Franklin. (Yes, that one.) In the front yard is an old redwood tree, planted more than 120 years ago by the original owner-builders. The place retains all its historic charm, without any of the defects that might reduce its attractiveness as a functioning bed & breakfast inn. Our room, the "Sunshine Room," was located upstairs in the adjacent "Innkeeper's Cottage." It was spacious and beautifully appointed. The bed was without doubt one of the most comfortable my wife and I have ever slept on, due to the "memory foam" mattresses and pillows. The bathroom was, of course, totally modern and up-to-date. We had an incredibly restful night's sleep there, to be greeted by the sunshine streaming through the eastern windows overlooking the garden. Our next morning's breakfast, prepared by the owner/innkeeper herself, was spectacularly delicious. I give this B&B my highest possible recommendation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Idaho
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

Very very disappointed in their cancellation policy! We had planned to stay for 3 nights, but unfortunately we just found out my mom is having heart surgery the day before our reservation and I called to cancel our reservation after I got off the phone with the cardiologist only to find out that I would still be charged for my reservation, even though I gave them a week's notice! I was offered 1/2 price on one night and that the rest would be on a "gift certificate" that could be redeemed in 6 months! when I explained that I lived in Idaho, I was told, "oh, I'll make it for a year" "if you can't come, maybe you could give it to someone else" really??? nearly $500 is being charged to my credit card for 3 nights that I can't use all because my poor mom didn't time her surgery right???!!! All I can say, you'd better not let anything, including an emergency surgery, come in the way of your reservation!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank IdahoJohnstons
Irvine, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Where to begin...Way below our expectations and what we have remembered from staying there 10 years ago. The place is run down, with paint chips, filthy carpet and musty smell. There was barely any hot water and good luck with the tub drain. No wonder it looks like it needs tom TLC since I just found that the last time it was renovated was in 1992. Not only that, but the place is also for sale...good luck selling!

We got there the fist night and got greeted by a friendly lady who showed us to our room. The room was dark, small and smelly. My wife wanted to depart immediately, but I was the one that convinced her to stay for the night (which I regretted later). As we were settling down and wanted to follow up on important business online, the internet did not work. I tried everything possible to connect and there was no luck. I went downstairs in the common area, got the code, still didn't work. Their guest services book in the room had a printed sheet, which was at some later point re-written with a pen and did not look like someone care to have it reprinted. I spent over an hour trying to connect and even ran into another couple at night who was having the same issue. So I finally gave up and was just relaxing on the bed (as much as I could). I than saw a huge spider running across the wall and hiding behind the bed. My pregnant wife was freaking out as she did not wanted to get bit. At this point it's already 10pm and I have no other place to go, but take off and drive or get the spider. Again, not the impression I had on this bed and breakfast.

I met with the owner lady the next morning who was anything but apologetic. You don't have to go to hospitality school to be able to relate to people and feel for them. She seemed like she could care less what my feedback was. I work in hospitality industry and I deal with upset guests on a daily basis. This was just yet another disappointment we ran into. But wait...it doesn't end there....it only gets worse. I get home and check on my credit card statement to find out that I was charged for the second night as well even though I left only after the first night. BRAVO!!!! If that's what's called 'hospitality' than I may not travel ever again.

Keep in mind that my wife and I travel often and only stay at bed and breakfast places. We don't expect the ritz and glitz, instead we just want a place that is clean and functional. Olallieberry Inn was far below what we have expected.

Room Tip: Good luck! There is no such thing there....
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank duvaniste
Olallieberry, Owner at Olallieberry Inn, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Taking great care of our guests for the past 11 years has taught us many things. One being that we cannot please everyone ... though we try with all our might.

I do remember talking with this guest. His complaints were puzzling as our inn is both historic and immaculate. In fact, the room he and his wife stayed in was painted less than a month prior, cleaned and inspected prior to their check in. We regularly deep clean the carpets.

When learning of this guest’s upset with his room, I offered him a free ungraded room in the cottage for the second night. He declined my offer. I expressed that I was sorry that the experience had not met their expectations and would put the room they stayed in back up on the market. As is our policy, we would refund his money for the second night if we were able to book the room.

We can fix anything we know about. The Wireless Internet is no exception. We will double our efforts to let our guests know they can contact us at any hour to correct any situation that needs our attention.

In conclusion, we must admit that we expected this review. This guest tried to have the charges removed from his credit card. We had the opportunity to explain the situation to the credit card company and, in light of what actually happened, the charges stood. Thus this inflated and not entirely true review.