“World's Greatest Ribs!”
Review of Route One California Grill - CLOSED

Route One California Grill
Reviewed 4 May 2017 via mobile

My family and I (from Australia ) have been touring the States for weeks. Tonight is our last night before flying home from LA. We found ourselves at the truly beautiful Cambria. We had been on the road all day and were starving so drove down the main street, looking for a restaurant. My wife spotted the Route 1 California Grill and suggested it looked like it would provide hearty American tucker. She was so right! Easily the best meal we have had in the US and easily the best ribs I have ever had! (And I have been devouring ribs everywhere for decades)
As we walked in, we were warmly greeted by the lovely waitress who paid special attention to our 6 year old daughter.
I got a delicious local beer and we ordered.
The kids meals were incredible, but we were blown away by the quality and huge portions of our meals. My wife had a monstrous rib eye and my 13 year old son the cod. They were raving about their meals. I got the ribs and My God they were good. There was the best garlic bread I have ever had, barbecued corn on the cob, and salad with it. I just couldn't eat it all, but my son helped me. Greg the cook (who had been entertaining our 6 year old as well) came out and showed us his amazing homemade BBQ. It is a piece of engineering genius. What a top bloke. He cooks the meat for 14 hours. I have never been treated so well in a restaurant and the food is beyond brilliant. What a way to finish to our holiday.
God bless America!

1  Thank thepilgrim62

Reviewed 22 March 2017

My husband and I stumbled on this gem just before closing time on a Sunday, but they were gracious to serve us and gave us plenty of time to enjoy our meal. 14 hours at 150 degrees - that's how long your meat has been smoking before it comes to your table. Results - the best beef brisket I've ever had! I ordered the cowboy sandwich with a side salad. The waitress told me I wouldn't need any BBQ sauce; she was right! The meat was so tender and so tasty, no sauce was needed. The roll - baked by a local bakery was soft; no chewing was necessary. The meat and bread melted in my mouth. The salad was fresh and grown by local farmers. All dressings and soups are made from scratch. My 1000 Island dressing was savory and good. My husband had a burger with cole slaw. He said it was excellent. He finished it so quickly, I didn't get a chance to taste it.
THE RESTAURANT: A family affair, although the premises was a diner in its last life, the restaurant has been serving BBQ for 1 1/2 years and run by the youngest daughter with an emphasis on quality and organic. Her husband is in charge of the smoker - he knows what he's doing. He gave us a tour before we left. Very friendly and funny. The establishment is clean and all decor has a story to it. There is a covered patio that is dog-friendly.
BEER/WINE: This is NOT a bar/pub; no TVs; no beer taps. There is a limited selection of beer and wine hand-picked by the owner to accentuate your BBQ experience. If you are looking for some place "to drink" there's a bar an easy walk down the street.
CASH ONLY: No debit/credit cards; however, there is an ATM machine for your convenience.
We will be back.

1  Thank LuvMyChamp
Reviewed 10 February 2017

I should have realized there was going to be a problem when I asked for a glass of water & it arrived in a paper cup. But it just slid downhill from there....

I ordered BBQ pulled chicken sandwich, and hubby ordered chili. I was surprised to find the chicken didn't have anything resembling BBQ sauce on it when it arrived, but it was when I took the first (& only!) bite that I realized I was just going to send it back. Apparently it's "their" version of BBQ chicken. I felt it tasted as though the meat was actually bad.

Hubby's chili. If someone orders chili, typically they're expecting meat in it. If YOU are expecting meat in chili, get it somewhere else! This is meatless. AKA vegetarian chili. However, they've left that little piece of information off the menu!

But all of that was simply made worse by putting all the terrible food on paper plates! This is not a restaurant - it's a roadside concession stand without the hot dogs.

Usually I try to temper the negative comments with a few positive ones. I truly wish I could think of something positive to say about this place. No, we will absolutely NOT be going back! Let me stress again: worst.restaurant.EVER!

1  Thank KellyBS123
Reviewed 30 January 2017 via mobile

First off they do not accept credit or debit as form of payment, but they have a free standing third party ATM machine ( be careful, there is a transaction fee!)
We are from Orange County on a weekend getaway, not carrying cash.

Service was good, cute & clean family owned & family friendly cafe with a small menu. There is an outdoor patio so you can bring your pet to lunch, and no TV so it was nice and relaxing.

My husband had the pastrami burger and onion rings, I had the fish and chips. The burger was flavorful and juicy topped with a generous portion of juicy pastrami BIG hit,
The onion rings were great but only 5 rings. The fish was a huge portion but way overcooked so the batter was like a shell, unedible and the fish itself was dry and chewy. I'm willing to bet it's normally very good. The tarter sauce tasted homemade, flavorful but not overwhelming, the french fries were perfectly seasoned and crispy, as well as a generous portion.
The ice tea was fresh brewed and refreshing!

Reviewed 23 December 2016

My husband and I passed through Cambria in December 2015 and popped into this place for a quick break. The meal was so memorable that we returned this year. Again, absolutely outstanding! The ribs are so soft and absolutely excellent. I also highly recommend the pulled pork sandwiches and corn on the cob!! The smells literally waft down the street. We decided to take our meal take out and eat it out on Big Sur - couldn't have asked for a better picnic, and they ensured we had everything we needed, paper cups and plates, and extra napkins and BBQ sauce. If you pass through Cambria, this place is an absolutely must!