“Waterfall climb”

Canopy Zipline Eco-Adventure Tour from San Jose
US$98.99*
Rainforest Adventure from San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: Our visitors will enjoy the most complete experience possible, as they will literally fly through the forest, viewing the sub canopy (middle part of the forest), the upper canopy and its hanging gardens. Tram guests will discover plants and forms of life that are usually hidden in the forest treetops, an unknown world of incredible beauty and an extraordinary biological diversity. Complementing the Gondola experience, participants will be taken on a nature walk and enjoy an informational video.All visitors will be able to see life as it develops in the canopy for the first time, while experts will discover new things about the canopy’s natural history.
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I visited this attraction with my 17 year old daughter and we took the 6 in 1 package primarily because this allowed us to undertake the waterfall climb and rappelling options. Overall we were pleased with the package ands would particularly like to mention our guide Israel who was very knowledgeable, especially in his descriptions of the snakes in the serpentarium. The tour was followed by a ride on the Aerial Tram up to the rainforest canopy. As we were still in the dry season we did not see much in the way of wildlife or even birds when compared to other places we've visited in Costa Rica but the views were still impressive. This was then followed by zip lining down 10 separate stages. Unlike other zip lines we've tried the brake was always controlled by the guides but that did not reduce the exhilaration. The highlight of the day was the waterfall climb again if visiting during the dry weather don't expect large amounts of water gushing down over you but there are still enough to make things tricky as we negotiated the foot and hand holds in the rock. Finally one more zip line to the suspended platform where we rappelled to the ground.

A couple of points to make for anyone wishing to take up the package. 1) be aware that there is a significant student discount on production of ID. We booked through our hotel and they didn't point this out. 2) there is no information on the website or the paperwork regarding what to take if undertaking the waterfall climb, consequently we packed towels and a change of clothes (which weren't required) and risked taking a camera (which was fine given the amount of water coming down the fall provided you are prepared to take the risk of potential damage if you slip! ). You can also hire lockers for $3 where we were able to deposit out excess gear.

Finally, with hindsight I rather wished we had forgone the lunch which we booked as part of the package for an additional $18 each. The food was ok but by this point of our vacation had rather a lot of rice beans and plantain to feel this was value for money.

1  Thank Mattraveller1

Reviewed 23 February 2014

People may be unaware but the place actually has cottages where guests can stay for the night. You get dinner, a private guide to take you on a canopy tour and on a ground tour in the evening and in the early morning when no one is around you get to walk with no one around. We had the entire place to ourselves. We saw a family of tapirs so close that the animals were sniffing our hands, A sloth climbed a tree as we were standing next to it. We saw tarantulas and snakes. The cottage was very comfortable and private. The food was tasty. Our guide was fantastic. We thought it would be a good place to stay in between our journey from San Jose to Tortuguero but it turned out to be a highlight of our trip to Costa Rica in its own right.

1  Thank momnyc123
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Loved it. staff was Very helpful, safety was thoroughly discussed before we got into the rafts. Scenery fabulous, having the pictures taken along the route and then a disk at the end for our approval that included not only our ride, but nearly 200 extra pictures of wildlife in the area each picture was also labeled! Wonderful. Added treat at the end- fresh, sweet pineapple! All staff were very very helpful and patient.

1  Thank Judith R
Reviewed 24 January 2014

First of all, I wanted to get there on my own, even if their hotel pick up was pretty affordable, I did not have the alotted time to go (from 11am to 6pm on my last day in Costa Rica). So, I call to ask how to make it on my own. I was told public transportation was available and the bus would drop me off in front of the installations and it would pick me up right in front of the installations. ***BIG HUGE LIE** . I got there with my two year old, and I paid for my ticket to the gondola ride, and a $20 lunch ( $80 altogether).
I got to the lunch part first because of my child, and got a bonus in my meal - a big giant bug that was in the beans-, when I pointed that out, my meal was taken inmediately , but I was not even told if I was getting a new meal back or what, nothing. I did not get nothing! with a toddler with me, clearly no brains whatsoever!.
It rained , but then it got muggy and hot. Gondola ride was alright, but not impressive.
The bus back was a lie, first the installations is in a curve, so I had to walk more than three blocks to get to a near straight line on the road. Note on the route there are nothing but trees, yourself, and the many cars. I tried to flag the bus to stop about three times with my toddler asleep on my shoulder, and no one stop! ( it was already 3:30pm).
A good samaritan pick me up. This man was on his way to his home in Alajuela, and being my hotel on the way ( Ciudad Cariari) ; he gave me a ride. It could had been dangerous, yet I took a chance.
I called Rainforest adventures to relate my experience with the bug in the meal, and the wrong advise of taking public transportation. Their only response was :" aha, aha"..." have a good day".
I will never never visit their installations ever again. $20 for rice, beans, and chicken with a bug- really!.
Don't waste your time here, go to Monteverde and enjoy the ziplines there ( you will see much more there than at this place while having fun )

2  Thank suzanne k
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We learned about this attraction from the hotel tours, but went on our own and saved a little money directly. They combine opportunities for zip lines, nature hikes, a gondola ride through the canopy and a frog and butterfly tour. All of the staff was very knowledgable and there were plenty of guides that spoke English very well. You are always accompanied by staff, regardless of the activity. We bought the full package of activities, this takes really 6 hours from beginning to end so most of the day.

The zip lines included 13 lines plus their Adrena-Line; a 700 meter line that lasts over a minute beginning to end. They provide very good training on how to use the lines; all of the lines are double cables and you are connected to both and you have a full body harness. The level of safety and attention by the support staff was really impressive. The 700-meter line was phenomenal.

The canopy gondola wasn't overly exciting, but you get a live guide in the gondola that really tailors the discussion to what you are seeing and your specific questions; again every guide seems to be very well trained, it seems they are all college educated in the related fields and work at the park freelance as needed.

They had nice facilities (bathroom, gift shop, snacks and drinks) and also offer a meal package, though we didn't do that. Also the parking lot is secure with a guard so there didn't seem to be any issues with that either.

All in all this was a day and money very well spent. This is the "Atlantic" park, they also have one near Jaco (Los Suenos) on the Pacific coast which is a little smaller, not sure of the attractions there.

2  Thank Denis B