This was the second hotel in a 4 week tour of Costa Rica.
Excerpt from my daily log as follows:
Early start drove to our next stop near Rincon de la Vieja Park. Hot day.
Arrived at Canon de la vieja lodge late morning. Rustic wood cabins with limited facilities, although had air con, bathroom/ shower. No TV. Lodge had white water rafting. Zip wires etc and seemed geared for young peoples adventure holidays. Food reflected that. Pool looked nice but hardly any shaded areas to sit in around the pool. No-one else there. Wifi only at reception. Poor soundproofing between rooms.
Went into Liberia for a walk around and an evening meal at Restaurante y Marisqueria Paso Real which was substantial and tasty. We liked Liberia, felt safe there.
Met our guide Freddy 8am at reception and drove to Rincon de la Vieja National Park. We did the 10km walk to the waterfall in the morning (this was quite strenuous, if you are not fit, don't do it!) and the 4km walk to the volcanic mudpools in the afternoon. We saw capucin and howler monkeys up in the trees as well as several birds.
Afternoon chill out then to Liberia. We had a couple of very refreshing pineapple smoothies, then we had an excellent steak meal in El Bramadero, next to Macdonalds on the big crossroads. A big open air restaurant. We had filet minion topped with bacon and a mushroom sauce. Excellent steak and nicely cooked.
Overall we found this place quite convenient but mostly suited to young people's adventure activities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by beautiful gardens just 8 kms from Liberia, we offer a different way to enjoy the natural beauties that surround the Guanacaste National Parks as Santa Rosa, Rincon de la Vieja and Palo Verde.Canyon de la Vieja Lodge offers 50 rooms of which two have access for people with special needs, each has a small front terrace, equipped with double beds, air conditioning, private bathroom, hot water and amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Canon de la Vieja Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Canyon De La Vieja Hotel Rincon De La Vieja
- Canon De La Vieja Lodge Costa Rica/Rincon De La Vieja