All reviews chocolate tour ceviche cooking class costa rica chocolate tasting cacao plantation wonderful hosts local women chocolate making honeymoon cabin chocolate farm screened windows nearby village bon bons organic farming dark chocolate history lesson
Reviewed 17 March 2013

This is a wonderful, relaxing place nestled in the most gorgeous family farm of Pablo and Ana. We were immediately made to feel like family coming to visit. The cabins were very clean, rustic and comfortable, open air, and private, surrounded by beautiful, hummingbird-attracting native plants. The meals were fresh and beautifully prepared, with vegetables and fruits from the organic farm, served in an open air dining room. Like family, Pablo and/or Ana were always there for meals, eager to visit and get to know us, yet not intrusive. They were happy to answer all of our questions about the farm and community, and to help us plan our activities. The farm is remote, so having a 4wd car was helpful, but there was plenty to do on the farm and nearby, and Pablo and Ana were so helpful in making phone calls to organize. We stayed for 4 nights.....it was not long enough!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2013

My fiance and I visited Finca La Anita for 5 nights (Feb.4th-8th 2013) and consider it the highlight of our trip! I had good vibes about the place from all the warm reviews on this site and I was confident that booking as many nights we could spare would be worth it, and I was SO RIGHT!!! There was still so much to do we could have stayed 5 nights longer!

Our experience went above and beyond anything I could have ever imagined. Everything was PERFECT. Ana and Pablo are personable, knowledgeable and VERY hard working. They seem to remain always available yet they also give their guests space, they communicated very well with everyone and we felt we could trust them. We woke up every morning at 6 a.m. excited for what the day would bring (and I'm not a morning person!)

During our stay we did 2 amazing hikes, horseback riding, visited hot springs, volcanic mud baths, we went zip-lining, and participated in a cooking class in a local's home...oh ya and who could forget our visit to bar Las Vegas?!

This trip was especially memorable for me because my boyfriend proposed to me during our horseback riding/hike adventure to the Cerro Frio waterfall where our lovely guide Edgar excitedly took pictures of my fiance down on one knee beside the most spectacular waterfall I've ever seen! (If you are in fairly good shape I would highly recommend this hike)

I would recommend renting a 4WD so that you have the freedom to go wherever you want whenever you want! Everyone we met at La Anita was doing the same thing.
Half of our adventures were getting lost everywhere we went, it became our main inside joke, as signage is not the same in North America where it's in your face, you gotta be observant to find certain roads leading in and out of the town of Colonia Libertad.

If you are a light sleeper pack ear plugs, but we crashed hard every night from all our adventuring so we didn't need 'em! We heard the mysterious howlers every night off in the distance...

The food at La Anita is super fresh and varied, we inhaled everything they put in front of us! If you are looking to eat out if you aren't near the property visit Dona Rosalba's restaurant (where you do the horseback riding/hiking to the waterfall) her specialty is fresh tilapia and she makes homemade cheese!

We miss you Ana y Pablo!

We will be back one day!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CeeCeeSweetpea
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We only stayed two nights here and we wished we could have stayed two weeks! The cabins are beautiful and the hospitality was more than we could have asked for. All the food was good, but my favorite was the desert topped with chocolate made from the on-site cacao plants. Even in the midst of Finca Anita's natural splendor, resident horse/comedian Trueno stole the show more than once. We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stayed 2 nights in this beautiful, bucolic setting. We didn't have a rental car (as most other patrons do) but called ahead and they gave very nice detailed instructions re how to get there by bus. One of the owners was there to pick us up when the bus dropped us off as well (would've been a few km walk!). The owners are super friendly and make extra efforts to get to know the guests and accommodate as much as possible. The room was great, very clean. There are great trails around for hikers including Rincon de la Vieja. The only downside was you have to eat all meals on premises because there is no kitchen for customer use, restaurant, grocery stores nearby. The meals are buffet and are a bit overpriced for the quality. They packed a lunch for us when we hiked the volcano and it was a bit small for the strenous nature of the hike. Had I not brought some of my own snacks (which I bought in Liberia), I would've had a hard time on that hike!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anza22
Reviewed 1 March 2013

We knew this was going to be a bit of a journey. The Ranch is located outside of the usual tourist spots in Costa Rica in the northwestern area but it was well worth the trip. The road was easy to navigate (with all of the warnings we were tentative)The owners have developed an idyllic world for themselves and their young family. They share it generously with their guests. The instant we arrived we exhaled and were relaxed and were never disappointed. The grounds were beautiful, the individual cottages were well equipped and maintained and the meals were simple and fresh. We will definitely come back.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends