“A welcoming retreat”

La Anita Rainforest Ranch
Reviewed 26 February 2014

From the moment I arrived, I knew this was a special place. I was greeted at the gates by a smiling member of the staff and two of the dogs from the farm. Pablo brought me to the cabin where I would spend the next 5 nights and it was exactly what I had hoped for - comfortable and quiet, with 360 degrees of large screened windows - very well-constructed and eco-friendly. The deck had a hammock! I am ordinarily a night person, but within a day or so I became in tune with the natural day-night cycle and was pleased to be up shortly after dawn and asleep generally by 10... the sounds of birds, monkeys and other animals or the occasional gentle rain on the roof/deck were immensely pleasing. I stayed in early February and found the climate perfect.

Ana and Pablo were very kind, welcoming and really interesting. This is a working organic family farm with a number of crops with cacao being the most important. The farm tour was informative, fascinating and featured a walk through the rainforest and a cup of the best hot cocoa imaginable - ending with a delicious lunch. The meals were outstanding and the open-air dining experience at the lodge was often highlighted with multiple bird-sightings. The staff was wonderful. I enjoyed speaking with the other guests... as another reviewer put it, this place seems to attract interesting people from all over. It is not your typical tourist destination.

My time was spent locally for 2 days in the farm and village and exploring nearby places for another 2 days such as the national park and volcano and some hot springs where ziplining was offered. Pablo and Ana were very helpful with suggestions for how to spend my days. These are truly wonderful people and this place was perfect for my tastes: natural beauty, eco-conscious, even meditative (bring a good book or two).

I rented a 4-wheel drive vehicle, which enabled me to take day trips described previously. This was my first trip to Costa Rica and I will definitely go back. When I do, this place will definitely be part of my trip as I really feel connected to everything about Finca Anita.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank bedros22
There are newer reviews for La Anita Rainforest Ranch

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We couldn´t ever imagine that there is a lodge like this one: fantastic rooms in the middle of a farm that produces organic cacoa and many other things, custom made (vegetarian and vegan)meals, the near rainforrest and volcano - and last but not least the nicest people we met in whole Costa Rica! Anita an Pablo are extremly friendly, warmhearted, very interesting to talk to - and after only two days we regard them as friends! Pamela and Christian from Germany

Room Tip: Any lodge seems to be great. Go there!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rockymilka
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Our three night stay at La Anita was one of the most authentic of our seven weeks in Costa Rica. Our cabin offered privacy yet allowed us to experience the rainforest with vast screened areas and a large covered porch with a hammock and rocking chairs. Beautiful starlit nights and bird song mornings. Toucan and monkeys high in the trees around, as well as other beautiful birds. The ranch tour was informative and you feel Pablo's enthusiasm for the cacao that he and Ana are growing. The food was fabulous, best we had anywhere during our stay.
We will be back and would highly recommend La Anita Rainforest Ranch as a destination for anyone wanting to experience true Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Every cabin is equally restful and private.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lovetotravelgreeley
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Ana and Pablo are gracious, thoughtful hosts. Their thoughtfulness is in evidence everywhere at La Anita from the way the spacious cabins were built and furnished to the way in which the land and crops on the ranch are managed. Much like the ranch, the accommodations are self sustaining and you do not want to go anywhere else. The meals are excellent. Ana and Pablo and their staff are very attentive to their guests needs. We took the farm tour with Pablo and yearned to learn more when it was over. Both Ana and Pablo are agrarians and their respect for the land and animals is evident. We stayed 2 nights and were sad to leave.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Miajacks
Reviewed 5 February 2014

La Anita was definitely one of the highlights of our 3 week trip to Costa Rica. We spent 2 nights there, and were very impressed with the overall experience. The rooms (lodges actually) are very comfortable, designed with discreet elegance. The setting is beautiful. I have wonderful memories of tucans and other birds pecking at the banana tree outside the dining room, just a few meters from us. The food, although simple, is very good - you can taste that the produce are fresh and local. Everything at La Anita is done with care and diligence. Ana and Pablo are great hosts, they treated us like friends, we had long chats. I told my sister about our experience and she decided to go with her family too and their experience was as good as ours. My 12-year old nephew now wants be become a cacao farmer and work at La Anita when he grows up!! Don`t miss it. The road to get there is bumpy, so be prepared, but it`s well worth the effort. Many thanks to Pablo and Ana, who were such gracious hosts.
PS _ The cacao seeds I brought back are dangerously addictive!

Room Tip: All the lodges are great, separated by bush for privacy, but the one on the far right (closer to the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 January 2014

La Anita was one of the highlights of our whole trip... I will never forget all the memories and great service we got at this establishment! You can qualify La Anita with the words: beautiful, captivating and peaceful. Don't miss out these wonderful sights and hosts!

It is unforgettable and you won't regret it if you want to learn and live the ecotourism experience at its best!

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We were in Costa Rica for 5 weeks and we stayed here for 1 week (7 nights). We should have stayed longer! This was the best lodging/experience of our whole trip.

Pablo and Ana are gracious and hardworking hosts that clearly love Costa Rica, and La Anita. Pablo worked overtime to make sure that we had lots to do during our week long stay at La Anita. He recommended several fabulous activities, and we were not disappointed! We were made to feel like family, as Pablo and Ana engaged us in great conversation, and our 4 year old daughter had a fabulous time playing with their children (also gracious hosts!). It was very special to me that Pablo took the time to teach my 4 year old how to ride a horse independently in the small saddle that he uses for his own children. Ana was like our daughter's long-lost Costa Rican Aunt, and they even made cookies together.

I echo what others have said about the beauty and serenity of the property. We also loved that there was a horse, Trueno, who greeted us every morning from his pasture, and also several dogs that were very friendly (we love animals).

I recommend, without reservation, that you go to Finca La Anita, and stay for at least a week. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
#1 of 7 in Rincon de La Vieja
Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort
Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort
#2 of 7 in Rincon de La Vieja

Been to La Anita Rainforest Ranch? Share your experiences!