“Struggled with how to rate this tour”

Adventure Tours Hacienda Guachipelin
Book In Advance
More Info
US$90.00*
and up
Rincon de la Vieja National Park One Day Adventure Pass
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Adventure tours for all ages next to Rincon de la Vieja National Park, Liberia, Guanacaste. The "One Day Adventure Pass" is a combination of Canopy Tour, White water Tubing, horseback ride and hot springs, with 1 meal. Individual tours are operated too.The new attraction is the butterfly garden with the snake and frog exhibit. The best adventure tour is the Canyoning Tour. The only canyoning tour in Guanacaste. Hiking tours to Rincon de la Vieja Volcano National Park. Bird watching and wildlife observation is also offered. We are open every day of the week. Now mountain bike tours on the best single track trails in Guanacaste.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We did the all day adventure tour that included the inner tubing, zip lines, horseback riding, lunch, and hot springs. I will review each separately.

INNER TUBING - Loved it. It was a blast. Way more fun than white water rafting. You are on the river for about 50 minutes. There are rapids you blast through interspersed with quiet parts where you can float and see frogs and butterflies. They need to let people know that there are changing rooms at both ends and that they will transport your dry clothes in between as there was a ton of confusion about whether we had to go for the horseback ride in our swimming gear to get to the tour.

HORSE BACK RIDE - Nice. Horses were generally pretty docile. The fastest you go is a quick trot.

HOT SPRINGS - Nice. Be sure to try painting yourself with the hot mud on the far side of the river - across the hanging bridge. The pools there range from cool to very hot so you can try each one to find a temperature that works for you.

ZIP LINES - The scenery is spectacular. The guides are very good. The lines and equipment seem to be well maintained. The reason we struggled with the rating was because the zip line tour was WAY overloaded. The guides were forced to take care of multiple people at the same time creating potentially dangerous situations. For instance a single guide on a platform was hooking up one person to an outgoing line while at the same time another person was already on their way to the platform on an inbound line. Since the guides are responsible for breaking at the end, a small distraction with the outbound person will someday result in them not making back in time to put on the breaks for the inbound person. And the inbound person is going to slam into the people waiting on the platform knocking them off. Yes, they are all on safety lines so no one is going to fall 50 feet to their death. But people are going to be super unhappy and potentially hurt in this process. We saw this situation occur at multiple stations along the route. The management needs to limit the number of people being put through all at once to avoid the guides being overloaded in this way before an accident occurs.

3  Thank Melissa D
There are newer reviews for Adventure Tours Hacienda Guachipelin

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We took the Horseback riding tour to the Sulphur Springs and the Río Negro.

I'll start by saying we are fairly easy to please given the excursion we experience is what was advertised. Although we did go to the three locations mentioned (start at the Hacienda, proceed to sulpher springs, then continue on to the Rio Negro hot springs) the timing is not at all as advertised on the websites description. I'll save you the search... It's advertised as 1.5hr from the ranch to sulpher springs and then an hour to the Rio Negro hot springs/river finishing with one more hour to the hotel.

We arrived promptly at 8:45 for a 9am departure and were immediately asked if we really wanted to horseback ride the entire time as it would be a long ride. We tried to confirm the trail length advertised (and destinations) but the language barrier seemed to be too much to overcome, so we just agreed and set off.

We did go from the Ranch to the sulpher springs, but it took twice as long at three hours. The springs themselves were pretty gross, and lived up to the sulpher name. From there it was supposed to be an hour to the Rio Negro, but an hour into the ride I asked how quickly we could get there and managed to workout that if we turned on a road and went direct it would only be 10 more minutes, so we diverted off the trail (and about 20 mins later) got to the Rio Negro. The Rio Negro and Hot Springs were actually much better than the sulpher, they were clear and nice to swim in, as was the much cooler river. My wife enjoyed the "mud bath" (you'll paint mud on yourselves with paint brushes). Overall we enjoyed our time there. Given we'd already ridden a total of 4.5/5 hours, we opted to take a shuttle back to the ranch rather than another 1 hr ride that would become something much, much longer.

Let me also disclaim we aren't exactly novice riders, we're quite comfortable on horses. The time it took us to get there was often at a full trot, not a slow walking pace. Our guide was very nice, but couldn't really answer many of our questions due to the language barrier and very seldom offered any facts about the forest, mostly pre-rehearsed one-liners. Also, he seemed concerned that he didn't know his way at certain times.

Overall, if you want to horseback ride all day deep into the Jungle and not see very much except the jungle you're riding through... this tour is for you. if not, avoid it. We didn't get anywhere near the actual volcano and would've enjoyed seeing it.

1  Thank JarodWMorgan
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We spent a day of our Costa Rican vacation here at Guachipelin, and it truly had something for every member of our family. We have 6 children, both boys and girls, ages 22 to 12 years. The zip line is not the best in Costa Rica; the rappelling and rock climbing not the best you'll find; and overall we could have done without the hot springs (but that's just because we were tired by that point). However, the combination of all these events in one tour was excellent, and an outstanding value. Would certainly recommend!

1  Thank eyedrtony
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We did the horseback riding to the waterfall and the whitewater innertube rides while staying at the Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin. It was just my husband and I with the guide on horses that are well taken care of and trained. (I had a bad experience in Mexico so this really matters to me). My husband jumped into the water and I waded around a bit. It was all very nice. The whitewater tubing was SO much fun!! I was a little scared at first but the guides take really great care of you the entire time!! We didn't take anything with us because they told us not to because everything gets wet and they were right! My regret is that I didn't think to bring $ to be able to tip afterwards which made me feel bad.

1  Thank cmr352
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed in Tamarindo for 1 week before heading to Manuel Antonio. I honestly would not return to the Guanacaste region as Manuel Antonio is 10x better, but having said that, the Hacienda Guachipelin Tour was the best tour of our entire trip! It was the best entertainment, best service, best food, best price. We loved everything about it. I read reviews about having to wait for the activities, but we were there in May which is not the busy season and we went from one activitiy to the next without any delay. Zip lines, jungle swing, rock climb, beautiful scenery, horseback ride, waterfall/swimming hole, tubing, lunch, hot springs. The pictures were a great price. We ended up getting someone else's pictures on our CD, but they later sent me a link to a website where I could download the photos. If there was one thing to improve, it would the temperature of the hot springs. They were unbearably hot and needed a bit of the cool river water to lower the temperature. Do not miss this tour!

1  Thank familymem0ries