“Fabulous Place!”

Blue River Resort & Hot Springs
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I purchased a Groupon for Blue River Resort and did my homework before purchasing. I wanted the experience to be well worth the money and to say the least, it was! It well exceeded all of my expectations. The staff was very friendly, the rooms were great and comfortable and the resort grounds themselves were beautiful. The Groupon came with 2 excursions and both of the excursions were exciting and fun.

I went with a friend and even though we had the room for 4 nights, we left a day early to go spend time at the beach and we still felt like the price was a bargain.

I would truly reccommend the resort to anyone who wants to have some adventure in thier life.

The only drawback were the roads getting there, but once you got to the resort you could see it was well worth it.

Pam B.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank pkbolton1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,019)

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Blue River Resort for a yoga retreat. It was a pure delight. Tucked away from all of life's distractions, I enjoyed the peace & beauty that surrounds this special property. The rooms are HUGE, clean & stocked with all that one could possibly need & more. The restaurant is delicious & the service is immaculate. The kind spirits of the people who work at this resort are what truly make it a special place to be & a home away from home. From the warm welcome at the front desk, to each kind smile that helps you in the restaurant, to the safe & joyful adventure guides, to the accommodating & organized management, to the talented gardeners & everyone in between - there is joy & pride in where they are and the gifts that they offer to everyone who visits. I felt safe & welcomed from the moment that I arrived & left with many new friendships & a sweet taste of the Pura Vida way of living that Costa Rica is known for.

The property offers botanical gardens, self-mud treatment, full service spa, turtle pond, healing natural hot spring pools, cold plunge pool with a water slide, multiple lawns & hammocks to lounge in, is only a few steps to the magical Blue River Lagoon, animals enjoying life everywhere, but the ultimate sugar on top, is the Butterfly Sanctuary on this property - it is straight out of a dream for me & my time in there will forever be held dear in my heart. There are even plans to build a yoga temple overlooking the Blue River and this is the ultimate sacred space to host a yoga retreat.

I will absolutely return in the very near future & will suggest this TRUE PARADISE ON EARTH to everyone in my Community & beyond. Pure gratitude that places like Blue River Resort still exist.

Room Tip: The double bed rooms are HUGE & beautiful!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My family and I traveled to Costa Rica for a week and decided to spend a few days at Blue River to start off our trip. We flew into Liberia and had set up transportation through Yellowfin Sport fishing. Blue River Resort is , as others have said, a little bit of an adventure to get to. The road is only paved about a 1/4 of the way there, the rest is dirt. And depending on the season and weather.. makes for a bumpy interesting drive. I would suggest having 4-wheel drive and traveling before dark. That being said, it was 100% worth it!! Beautiful location with very large rooms and comfortable beds. All of our food at the restaurant was wonderful, and I felt the prices were pretty average for tourist areas in Costa Rica. We did their zip lining tour and I felt safe the entire time. We also did the hike to the Blue River and water fall which was fun and beautiful. Cold pool is inviting during the day heat, and hot pools are nice in the evening for a little relaxation at the end of the day. We really enjoyed the just walking around the resort itself and encountering many beautiful plans and fun creatures (especially Echo !!) . Every employee we met and dealt with was kind and really put forth an effort to make our stay great!
Overall a wonderful visit and we were sad to leave such a beautiful place after 3 days.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2014

When my husband and I decided to take a vacation, we wanted a location that was off the beaten path, out in the middle of nowhere, and surrounded by nature. Our destination of choice was the Blue River Resort and Hot Springs in Costa Rica. One word I used to describe the pictures of the resort before the trip, “paradise”. My husband and I stayed there for a week from April 27 – May 4. I would describe the resort and surrounding area as “better than paradise.” We had a few issues not related to the resort; however both of us had a great time. The staff, as well as the town’s residents, are genuinely nice and accommodating. We loved walking around the grounds of the resort and taking in the beauty of the resort, butterfly garden, botanical garden, and hummingbird observatory. We took advantage of using all of the pools, and enjoyed every one of them.
All of the meals we ate were delicious, we enjoyed the buffet breakfast every day we were there, and the restaurant staff was friendly and worked hard to ensure good service. The portions served were adequate enough to leave my husband and I full, and it was nice that we could take our dessert back to our room for later. Our favorite dessert was the three milk cake.
The activities we took part in were the horseback riding and zip line. I would like to personally thank our horseback riding guide, Giovanni, for being so friendly, patient, and accommodating to my husband and me. The zip line guides made sure that my husband and I enjoyed our experience, taught us how to safely zip line, and was very courteous and supportive.
Several days we were there we walked into town for supplies, and we had a special guide each time. Our guide was a very friendly, playful, dog named Echo, and he walked with us each day to town and back. When we would stop off at the office for one reason or another, Echo would greet us with a wagging tail and lots of love.
Our room was the cabana with king-size bed, and we were impressed by the size of the room. We were also impressed that our laptop and cameras were left alone, and any clothes we left lying around were folded and neatly placed on the bed or chair in our room.
Our experience at Blue River was fantastic. I would like to personally thank the owner, manager, and the rest of the staff for making our time at the resort so great and so memorable. If you are the type of person that needs perks such as a phone in the room or wifi, Blue River is not for you. If you are the type of person that wants the rustic charm of nature and do not need those types of perks, Blue River is the place to be. My husband and I personally loved being surrounded by nature and away from commercialized surroundings.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wigirlbk07
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Everyone was very helpful, friendly, and accommodating. We would recommend spending no more than two nights, though. It is in the middle of nowhere and the resort does not have many tours. When you're not doing your tours, there is little to do at the resort itself. The food is very good, but, again, the options are limited, because there is only one restaurant with the same menu. It is an hour on VERY bumpy roads just to get to the resort from the nearest paved road. Do not expect many amenities in the room. The workers will do what they can to make your feel welcome and happy...with their limited resources.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Valerie K
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I had a friend recommend this hotel to me and decided to give it a shot. Not expecting much, I just really needed a a nice rest. However, I was pleasantly surprised! The place had great service, beautiful nature and exciting zip lines. I definitely plan on going back on my next vacation.

Room Tip: Go for room 112 with double beds big bathroom. It has the best wifi and is close by the restaurant.
Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Aileen B
Reviewed 4 May 2014

my visit was one of the most enjoyable trips ever, just the views and the beautiful gardens i really enjoyed myself, the volcano was the most interesting, the hot springs were very relieving after a day of horseback and i plan on going back to visit again soon.

Room Tip: if your going for quiet choose the south side
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
#3 of 5 in Bijagua de Upala
Heliconias Rainforest Lodge
Heliconias Rainforest Lodge
#4 of 5 in Bijagua de Upala

Been to Blue River Resort & Hot Springs? Share your experiences!