“Great place”

Blue River Resort & Hot Springs
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed at the blue river last week. We had a great time. The staff was very helpful and friendly. If we needed anything they would do it. They moved us to a different room because of the stairs. If we needed help they were there. Thank-you from the 3 of us.

• Stayed: May 2014
There are newer reviews for Blue River Resort & Hot Springs

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We adored this place and can't say enough about the staff and accommodations as well as surroundings. The baths/pools were perfect. The grounds great for exploring flora and fauna and the tours immaculate. Luis was a great guide who went out of his way and Giovanni was a great horseman for the trek on horseback. The restaurant staff were great, Jimmy and Wilmer/Gilbert and the cook a real pro who could do all types of food. I recommend the steak and then the pulpo. In the spa, Rosibel was outstanding and the best at kneading sore muscles or offering mud and other treatments at good rates. Excellent food and the room was incredible. We had come from the coast, Riu Guanacaste, and wish we had spent more time here.

Room Tip: We had rm 111 near to the hotel, bar and spa. Perfect spot.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My wife and I went to Blue River resort And Hot Springs on April 27 to May 4 and could not believe the friendliness that each employee demonstrated, everybody including the owner bent over backwards to ensure we were pleased and having a good time, and we were asked by the owner and two other individuals if we were enjoying ourselves. My wife and I read reviews on this resort that stated that the hot spring pools were green with algae, the grounds were not kept up, there were security issues in the rooms, the resort was in the middle of nowhere and rough roads, the food was expensive and not worth the money, and not much to do at the resort. To start off with, this resort is meant for those that want to be in the middle of nowhere and do not wish to be in a commercialized setting, and having to travel far down rough roads provides the pleasure of being in the middle of nowhere. I agree that the resort does not demonstrate a 5 star resort or hotel, not in the sense of being waited on hand and foot by business courteous employees, instead you are served by employees that truly wish to and enjoy making you happy. We tried every single dish that they served for dinner, and we could not find a single complaint about any meals we had. As far as being expensive, apparently those that have complained are not use to paying for professionally cooked meals, do not consider the expenses of having food delivered to a place in the middle of nowhere, and the cost of employees and a professional kitchen. For the hot springs pool, one should first research the minerals which exist in a hot spring coming from a volcano, and check early in the morning to see the employees cleaning the pools. My wife and I brought several expensive cameras to do a lot of photo shooting and a laptop, there were many times where all or most of our expensive equipment was left in the room, and never once was anything moved or missing. There were times however, some of our clothes were left on the floor and the cleaning service nicely folded our clothes and placed them on the bed or table, I guess you would call that a security issue. The resort does not have a tennis court, 24 hour bar, or other luxuries that you would find at a 5 star hotel where people go to just stay at the hotel. This is a resort that is for people that love the great outdoors, love to hike in the tropical forest, swim in the blue river, go horseback riding or zip line, and want to be treated like a friend and not a rich customer. I could go on-and-on about how beautiful the resort cabanas are, the whole layout of the grounds, the restaurant, Blue River and everything else, I instead decided to post many pictures and a few videos at my Facebook (STERNZX STERNMAN). A note to everyone, you can or will find problems anywhere you go, you have to evaluate if those problems outweigh the pleasures, or if the pleasures outweigh the problems. My wife and I did run into several problems, such as with Alamo rental car service, they will try lying and charging you for things that was not posted on their website and we had several other problems, not only did we not have any problems at the resort, but they were there to help whatever way they could. I hope that the pictures I provided on my Facebook provide a clear idea how beautiful Costa Rica and the resort truly are.

Room Tip: look over the room choices and evaluate your needs.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank STERNZX S
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My experience at Blue River was truly exceptional. Far off an away from the rest of the world, this beautiful resort is secluded and serene. A large property for lots of exploring through the botanical gardens, butterfly garden, hummingbird sanctuary, or sauna and mud paths. If you don't feel like exploring you can chill on your hammock on your porch and read a book, soak in one of the many hot springs, or take the slide into the cold pool. There is one restaurant on property, with delicious food and excellent service. Everyone that works at the resort is so friendly, genuine, and accomodation. The rooms are beautiful, spacious, and clean. I am looking forward to my return!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We visited Blue River on our way to a biological station for a weekend of intense birding, so we wanted to ease ourselves into 'roughing it'. We were shocked to find such luxury out in the middle of nowhere. The rooms were spectacular(see my photo) and new, the grounds with its botanical garden, butterfly garden and the highest number of different heliconias I have sever seen in a garden. The thermal pool area is more reminiscent of places like Baldi or Tabacon in Arenal ! The restaurant (which is the ONLY place to eat out in the middle of nowhere) was great - we are vegetarian and they had an entire menu just for vegetarians. The Spa is all new and quite posh. They have many tours to select, but we were only passing through, but we did go out with one of their guides to bird the area surrounding the hotel - saw about 30 species , several of them new for us. A very, very nice stay, much better than we expected in this part of the country.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I purchased a Groupon for Blue River Resort and did my homework before purchasing. I wanted the experience to be well worth the money and to say the least, it was! It well exceeded all of my expectations. The staff was very friendly, the rooms were great and comfortable and the resort grounds themselves were beautiful. The Groupon came with 2 excursions and both of the excursions were exciting and fun.

I went with a friend and even though we had the room for 4 nights, we left a day early to go spend time at the beach and we still felt like the price was a bargain.

I would truly reccommend the resort to anyone who wants to have some adventure in thier life.

The only drawback were the roads getting there, but once you got to the resort you could see it was well worth it.

Pam B.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank pkbolton1
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Blue River Resort for a yoga retreat. It was a pure delight. Tucked away from all of life's distractions, I enjoyed the peace & beauty that surrounds this special property. The rooms are HUGE, clean & stocked with all that one could possibly need & more. The restaurant is delicious & the service is immaculate. The kind spirits of the people who work at this resort are what truly make it a special place to be & a home away from home. From the warm welcome at the front desk, to each kind smile that helps you in the restaurant, to the safe & joyful adventure guides, to the accommodating & organized management, to the talented gardeners & everyone in between - there is joy & pride in where they are and the gifts that they offer to everyone who visits. I felt safe & welcomed from the moment that I arrived & left with many new friendships & a sweet taste of the Pura Vida way of living that Costa Rica is known for.

The property offers botanical gardens, self-mud treatment, full service spa, turtle pond, healing natural hot spring pools, cold plunge pool with a water slide, multiple lawns & hammocks to lounge in, is only a few steps to the magical Blue River Lagoon, animals enjoying life everywhere, but the ultimate sugar on top, is the Butterfly Sanctuary on this property - it is straight out of a dream for me & my time in there will forever be held dear in my heart. There are even plans to build a yoga temple overlooking the Blue River and this is the ultimate sacred space to host a yoga retreat.

I will absolutely return in the very near future & will suggest this TRUE PARADISE ON EARTH to everyone in my Community & beyond. Pure gratitude that places like Blue River Resort still exist.

Room Tip: The double bed rooms are HUGE & beautiful!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Bagaces
Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort
Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort
#2 of 7 in Rincon de La Vieja

Been to Blue River Resort & Hot Springs? Share your experiences!