I just spent 8 days in Costa Rica, 4 of the at the Borinquen. The area the hotel is in is stunning and remote, about 1 HR from Libera, on a pretty good dirt road.
The hotel is manicured like a golf course (which is a little odd since the natural un-manicured surroundings are so much nicer then any gold course could be). We did a zip line and horse back ride which were excellent, and led by good guides, and they have a really nice sauna - but the problems are so huge I can't suggest going - and would never consider going back.
1. getting around- our room was about 1/2 mile up a hill from the food and pool - too far to carry wet or hungry kids. they don't allow you to bring cars on the property, and provide a golf cart service, which would be fine - if they actually showed up. you have to call reception to get a cart, many times when we called reception no one would pick up, or if we were at the pool, they had no phone or staffer around to call the cart, or we'd have to wait 20 minutes to get a cart. we decided to ignore the no car rule after a day and just drove where we wanted.
2. food - this is the biggest issue. probably the worst food I have ever paid for. really, really bad. because this is an 1HR away from anything - this is a big issue. with the exception of one very competent waiter, the staff was poorly trained - it would take 30 minutes just to get eggs in the morning, and at times was served by a waiter with an open sore on his hand. the dinning room itself is really dated, feels like a catskill resort trying to do a formal spanish dinning room. by the end of the trip we just decided to eat the food that came pre-packaged - mostly cereal and yogurt, and also considered driving the 1 hour to town to escape the slop they served.
3. maintance - the room itself was fairly well maintained, but had a mystery smell coming from some place near the mini bar, the shower had no pressure (we had to take baths), and the other the family we traveled with's room was infested by a termite swarm the last night (I'm not talking a few bugs in the room during the swarm, I'm talking thousand's, in the bed, luggage, everyplace). They were given a new room after someone from house keeping showed up with a can of raid and realized she was out matched. the grounds really need an update as well - astroturf around the pool really worn out, all the fan blades in the dinning room are broken off.
We tried to temper our expectations of our accommodations considering where we were traveling, but the high quality of the other places we stayed in Costa Rica just highlighted what a mess this place was.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hot Springs Spa at Borinquen Mountain Resort is your exclusive vacation spot located in Guanacaste in the North Pacific Region of Costa Rica.The Hotel was designed and created in 1999 with the sole purpose of unlocking the exceptional beauty of the Rincon de la Vieja countryside and bringing it to the world. When you visit Hotel Borinquen you are literally stepping into a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Borinquen Mountain Rincon De La Vieja
- Resort Borinquen Mountain
- Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort Costa Rica/Rincon De La Vieja