My wife and I stayed at Borrinquen for the first three nights of our honeymoon. We stayed in a Bungalow Superior, which ran about 150/night plus taxes after the promotion we booked it with. The room was pretty large and very nice--I would say probably 4 star quality. We really liked how each room was separate from the others--made for a quiet and private stay. One thing to note was that the mattress was extremely firm, which was fine for us but might bother some.
One of the best parts of Borrinquen is the friendly and helpful staff. We stayed at two other resorts after Borrinquen but this was the only place we had long conversations with the staff and felt like they were our friends. They did nice little things like make us extra strong pool drinks when we asked for them and comped us some drinks. Most of the staff spoke pretty good English although a few things got lost in translation.
The complimentary breakfast is excellent (you choose from 3 options). Fresh fruit, delicious cheese, great eggs, yummy toast and butter. However, the food options for lunch and dinner are overpriced. This is unfortunate because the resort is so isolated that you have no choice but to buy the $14 sandwiches and $25 dinner entrees. The food isn't bad, just overpriced for what you're getting. If you budget about $100 for food and drink a day (for 2 ppl) you should be good.
Zip lining at the resort is a must. We were both a little afraid of riding horses but that fear goes away within a few minutes and then you just enjoy the wonderful ride up to the top. There are 10 different lines, each with breathtaking views.
The pool is also very nice, as are the hot tubs and mud area. The steam room is old and funky (and stinky because it comes from the hot springs) but also kind of cool.
Overall, I'd probably give Borrinquen a 4.5 rating if I could. Since I can't, I'm rounding up to 5. We would definitely recommend this as a place to spend part of your trip to Costa Rica.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hot Springs Spa at Borinquen Mountain Resort is your exclusive vacation spot located in Guanacaste in the North Pacific Region of Costa Rica.The Hotel was designed and created in 1999 with the sole purpose of unlocking the exceptional beauty of the Rincon de la Vieja countryside and bringing it to the world. When you visit Hotel Borinquen you are literally stepping into a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Borinquen Mountain Rincon De La Vieja
- Resort Borinquen Mountain
- Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort Costa Rica/Rincon De La Vieja