This was our first trip to Costa Rica and we spent one week at the Borinquen and another on the ocean. I chose the Borinquen mostly based on reviews from this site and we were not disappointed. Our stay was in December and we rented a junior suite, which is totally worth the money for the views and the privacy. We were located on the highest point and were able to park our car up there, as a walk to and from the restaurants and other facilities is way too steep to do throughout the day. Our room had living room and separate bedroom with a king bed. The TV was broken when we arrived but quickly fixed. The furnishings are ok-somewhat dated. The bathroom was enormous and beautiful, but the water pressure was terrible and there was no way to ever fill the gigantic tub as the hot water ran out and it took over an hour to get to 2/3 full. Th bathroom needs several more hooks for hanging items.
The property is the reason to stay here. It is a fantastic working ranch, with about 12,000 acres of rolling hills, waterfalls, jungle, and pasture that horses and cows, and water buffalo roam. We took advantage of all their activities and saw it all both on horseback and ATV. Ask for Luis for you guide. He was fantastic and made the adventure amazing with his ability to spot monkeys, toucans, and other wildlife as we rode through the jungle. There is a zip line that is also not to be missed.
The resort bills itself as a spa which is why I am only giving 4 stars. While we did not purchase any spa treatments, there are three thermal pools and volcanic mud for general use. The outdoor showers were cold water and the "hot" pool was almost scalding, which is only a sign of improper maintenance. There is a natural steam room by the pool which is literally falling apart. My husband opened the door and it fell right off the hinges!
There are many criticisms about the food, but we thought it was really good and were never disappointed. However, the service was very uneven, especially in the evening dining room. This is very fancy in decor, but there was never a clear head waiter, language was sometimes a problem and food often took a very long time to arrive. With some proper service training this can really be an excellent dining experience. That said, the staff was so friendly and attempted to make every effort to please...they just need better training and in some cases, more people as the pool snack bar was often understaffed. If you drink, wine and beer are the better choices as we were never able to order a mixed drink that had any alcohol in it.
With some attention to detail, this property has every chance of being a 5 star resort and I highly recommend it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hot Springs Spa at Borinquen Mountain Resort is your exclusive vacation spot located in Guanacaste in the North Pacific Region of Costa Rica.The Hotel was designed and created in 1999 with the sole purpose of unlocking the exceptional beauty of the Rincon de la Vieja countryside and bringing it to the world. When you visit Hotel Borinquen you are literally stepping into a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Borinquen Mountain Rincon De La Vieja
- Resort Borinquen Mountain
- Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort Costa Rica/Rincon De La Vieja