“Secluded Retreat”

Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort
Cleveland, Ohio
“Secluded Retreat”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We only stayed here one night and upon pulling into the drive, immediately wished we were staying longer. Positioned seemingly in the middle of nowhere is this delightful and peaceful haven: quaint and rustic, as one would likely want from a Costa Rican vacation, but clean and inviting as well with romantic charm. I loved the grounds, the bungalows, the surroundings, the offerings of activities, the howler monkeys in the trees, the restaurant, and the fast and friendly service of the staff. The pool was sizable and offered a fun setting, and the mud baths and hot springs something new and intriguing.

This was by far my favorite place we stayed in Costa Rica, and if you're planning a trip, I definitely recommend spending at least one full day and night here (if not two or three!)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two days, just before Christmas. This was our favourite resort during our stay. The grounds are beautiful and the villas are rustic. As a family, we enjoyed the hot mud, went horseback riding, and zip lined. This resort may be remote but we felt like we had the whole place to ourselves even though it was full. Waking up to the sound of the Howler Monkeys was a special treat. The food and service at the restaurants were exceptional. If you do one activity, you must try the zip line. The views were stunning and was not for the faint of heart. I would love to go back and spend more time here!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We went to Borinquen the first week of March 2014. We've planned vacations where you jump from city to city. This time, we decided to stay in one location for 10 days. We left Bohrinquen a month ago, and I cannot think of a single thing to criticize about our time there. I confess I am extremely hard to please, but I want to go back to Borinquen right now! It's like being in the Garden of Eden.

Starting off, our driver was right where we were told to meet him in the airport, and on time to boot. The food was absolutely delicious. We had 'room service' on our patio several nights. The service was great. At lunch, you can choose the all you can eat buffet or go to the snack area near the pool. The buffet always had three or more great FRESH salads, delicious grilled meats (also from the ranch next door), pasta, and a dessert. The meat was always incredible, and my husband especially enjoyed the fresh queso cheese - made at the ranch next door - that was served at breakfast and lunch. I did not see anyone drinking bottled water, and I never got sick there. I loved the fresh made fruit juices and fresh pineapple, cantaloupe, and mango that we ate for breakfast.

Our room had great A/C, was impeccably clean, stuffed with soft towels, and the bed itself was amazingly comfortable. I spent hours reading in the hammock on the porch, enjoying the late afternoons before we had dinner. At night, the resort is absolutely quiet. Bring a telescope or binoculars for nighttime star watching.

The guest activities/tours were very well-organized and conducted with a strong focus on safety. We did the horseback riding and the zipline. We wandered around through two walking trails in the forest several times, enjoying the scenery. I booked a massage one day, and the room's floor to ceiling bay windows overlooked a mountain stream. You could hear and watch the rush of water inside the massage room, which made for a very peaceful experience. We never, ever were bored; there was always something new to experience: going on walks, visiting the steam house, the mud baths, and finally the hot spring pools. There is a hot tub inside of the spa for spa guests.

I was concerned about the comments below about areas within the resort needing upgrades or repairs. I saw absolutely ZERO evidence of equipment being old, or repairs going unfixed. We called the front desk for help when our toilet clogged, and help arrived within minutes. Borinquen is a mountain resort, and the atmosphere there was extremely relaxed but also exotic and unabashedly romantic. Because we spent 10 days there, we got to know the staff pretty well, and there were never any disappointments! All of the houses and bungalows were impeccably maintained and the cozy king-sized beds were appointed with super soft linens. It is not a flashy hotel by the beach. It IS a perfectly beautiful, well-managed, and welcoming place to visit. I don't know if some of the other reviewers have not yet done much travel or what their expectations were.

Go here right now!

Room Tip: Ask when booking where in the resort you will be staying. We had a bungalow deluxe and asked to be p...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank amy w
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We stayed March 10, 2014 for 4 nights. All of the reviews are pretty much dead on. Great place, secluded, fantastic rooms. Tours are amazing, we went horseback, zip line, ATV and wife had a spa. All were first class.

The problem we had was the hotel screwed up for our bus ride back to the airport in Liberia. We missed our plane as a result (14 people). We were going nowhere until we dealt with the manager. Things happen when travelling so we are easy going and they delivered. They covered all extra costs with the airline and rearranged a bus. For the extra day we had to stay, they let us do what we wanted (ATV and Massage) for free. I would say they took a bad situation and turned it into a nice one. If everyone works together, these things can be forgotten.

Half of us did get the "revenge". Cant say for sure where we picked it up but I suspect either the milk or tap water that was served with dinner. Ask for bottled water. Food is OK. I think they should spend a bit of time training on food safety but I am certainly not an expert on the subject.

We stayed in the 400 level. It offers amazing views. Turn of the AC at night, open the windows and listen to the sounds....amazing. Rooms are clean, roomy, very nice. Shower pressure not the best but does the job. It is a bit of a hard climb to your room but they are pretty good at bringing you to your room by golf cart if requested. I had a fitbit on so made for good stair counts!

I liked the place. DIrt road entry just ads to the experience. If you get motion sickness, take something before you go, its a rough ride.

I loved the place and would go back. Hats off to them for taking ownership when they created a problem for us......I have been to many a places where this did not happen!

I would rate a five except for the dirt road in.

Room Tip: Room number are by levels. The higher up the steeper it is to get to but for that sacrifice, you get...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights immediately after landing in Liberia. I agree the road is a bit rough but worth it. We loved the zip lining right on the property which included a 20 minute horseback ride there. The guides were great and there are 2 easy runs to practice before you travel over the gorge to see the waterfalls. I am terrified of heights but it was a blast. The pool was peaceful with a swim up bar and the mud bath and hot pools were great. We did the 15 minute walk along a trail behind the hot pools to see the pictographs that follows the creek. On our first night they had a Costa Rican buffet that included live music and dancing. All the decks have a hammock so you can enjoy the peacefulness of the scenery. Be prepared for a good calf work out as all the rooms are uphill. The do offer rides to the pool or restaurant but most people walk. My only regret is that we did not have time to book the ATV ride to see the waterfalls!

Room Tip: our bungalow was closer to the restaurant so not as much hill hiking as those higher on the hill
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nancy B
Costa Rica
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Unfortunately, we spent only one night. We promise to be back for at least three nights. The location is beautiful, our room was precious from our balcony we spot many different bird species and a beautiful sunset and the surroundings are spectacular. The resort was comfortable, great for relaxing and had the most gentle and kind staff. We couldn’t have asked for more. The only thing we could suggest is to review the prices for the food; that were a little high for what they offered.
I will certainly come back and for sure I recommend Borinquen to enjoy the essence of the real Costa Rica.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GerenciaCL
Corte Madera, California
Reviewed 26 February 2014

One of the roughest roads I've been on to get there, but worth it. A little worn, but the staff makes up for any wear with attentiveness and helpfullness. Food is good, not great. Atmosphere is fabulous. This is not a 4 star resort. This is a wonderful getaway spot. Great massage, pool gets busloads every day to hang out and do the mud and tubs. Zip lines and hiking right on the property. Property is immaculate, serene lawns in this mountain retreat. Kept well, and all the staff works very hard. Seperate cabanas, all very comfy. Our AC was out, but fans helped. Some bugs. Bed ok, not great. Lots of family around as well as the couples of all varities.

Room Tip: Choose one of the newer rooms up high on the hill for better view, but you can't walk to everyth...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 7 in Rincon de La Vieja
Rio Perdido
Rio Perdido
#1 of 1 in Bagaces

Been to Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!