“Peaceful!”

Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort
Chicago, Illinois
“Peaceful!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights april 25th through April 27th before heading to Tamarindo for 4 nights. It was so peaceful that I wish we would have went to Tamarindo first and they to Borinquen. Tamarindo was very busy. I was surprised that the staff didn't speak more english, but we got along fine. We went horseback riding where the guide let me gallop on my own, we went ATV riding where he taught us how to do donuts…really fun! The pool was quiet with it's own bar. Oftentimes we had to fine the bartender, but drinks were great. We got a couples massage in our room which was nice since we got to hear the birds and rain. We did hear Howler monkeys which sound like gorillas!
I loved the breakfast, but didn't think the dinner menu was that great. Overall it was a really nice time!

Room Tip: We had the room where we had to walk up a couple of hills. I would choose a lower room since they al...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Our stay was one of the most romantic trips we have ever taken. The peacefulness and quietness up in the mountains is very surreal. The hotel is usually pretty quiet due to the difficulty of reaching this destination. I consider myself a pretty seasoned traveler and my wife and I cannot wait to come back! From the pools, rooms and restaurant, we were never let down!
We found plenty to do in the surrounding area. Keep in mind, if you are afraid of spiders and bugs, this is NOT the place for you. Remember..... you are in the middle of the jungle people!

Room Tip: The higher up you stay, the better off you will be!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Cranston, Rhode Island
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

The resort is beautiful, clean, quaint, and relaxing. The rooms, grounds, and pools are well kept. All of meals where delicious and the services was great. I can't speak about the drinks because we brought our own. There is onsite zip lining your is incredible! The tours guides were entertaining and friendly. The down falls were the drive to the resorts is up and down a narrow bumpy road, inconsistent hot water, broken room safe, and minimal dessert options. The relaxed feel and beautiful view make up for the inconveniences. At the end of my trip I did get sick with persistent GI issues and a cold but I traveled to several locations and stayed at 4 different hotels. Who knows which stop caused the problem. I would recommend bringing your own water just to be safe.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank breeN2010
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My husband and I just got back from our unforgettable honeymoon which we stayed at Borinquen for the whole time. We had amazing adventures which included: ziplining, atving, hiking, horseback riding, seeing waterfalls, and siting Monkies! The location was gorgeous. The rooms were clean and well kept- we stayed in the Jr. suites.

The only negative was the food wasn't the best. But other than that truly a remarkable place.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We only stayed here one night and upon pulling into the drive, immediately wished we were staying longer. Positioned seemingly in the middle of nowhere is this delightful and peaceful haven: quaint and rustic, as one would likely want from a Costa Rican vacation, but clean and inviting as well with romantic charm. I loved the grounds, the bungalows, the surroundings, the offerings of activities, the howler monkeys in the trees, the restaurant, and the fast and friendly service of the staff. The pool was sizable and offered a fun setting, and the mud baths and hot springs something new and intriguing.

This was by far my favorite place we stayed in Costa Rica, and if you're planning a trip, I definitely recommend spending at least one full day and night here (if not two or three!)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two days, just before Christmas. This was our favourite resort during our stay. The grounds are beautiful and the villas are rustic. As a family, we enjoyed the hot mud, went horseback riding, and zip lined. This resort may be remote but we felt like we had the whole place to ourselves even though it was full. Waking up to the sound of the Howler Monkeys was a special treat. The food and service at the restaurants were exceptional. If you do one activity, you must try the zip line. The views were stunning and was not for the faint of heart. I would love to go back and spend more time here!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We went to Borinquen the first week of March 2014. We've planned vacations where you jump from city to city. This time, we decided to stay in one location for 10 days. We left Bohrinquen a month ago, and I cannot think of a single thing to criticize about our time there. I confess I am extremely hard to please, but I want to go back to Borinquen right now! It's like being in the Garden of Eden.

Starting off, our driver was right where we were told to meet him in the airport, and on time to boot. The food was absolutely delicious. We had 'room service' on our patio several nights. The service was great. At lunch, you can choose the all you can eat buffet or go to the snack area near the pool. The buffet always had three or more great FRESH salads, delicious grilled meats (also from the ranch next door), pasta, and a dessert. The meat was always incredible, and my husband especially enjoyed the fresh queso cheese - made at the ranch next door - that was served at breakfast and lunch. I did not see anyone drinking bottled water, and I never got sick there. I loved the fresh made fruit juices and fresh pineapple, cantaloupe, and mango that we ate for breakfast.

Our room had great A/C, was impeccably clean, stuffed with soft towels, and the bed itself was amazingly comfortable. I spent hours reading in the hammock on the porch, enjoying the late afternoons before we had dinner. At night, the resort is absolutely quiet. Bring a telescope or binoculars for nighttime star watching.

The guest activities/tours were very well-organized and conducted with a strong focus on safety. We did the horseback riding and the zipline. We wandered around through two walking trails in the forest several times, enjoying the scenery. I booked a massage one day, and the room's floor to ceiling bay windows overlooked a mountain stream. You could hear and watch the rush of water inside the massage room, which made for a very peaceful experience. We never, ever were bored; there was always something new to experience: going on walks, visiting the steam house, the mud baths, and finally the hot spring pools. There is a hot tub inside of the spa for spa guests.

I was concerned about the comments below about areas within the resort needing upgrades or repairs. I saw absolutely ZERO evidence of equipment being old, or repairs going unfixed. We called the front desk for help when our toilet clogged, and help arrived within minutes. Borinquen is a mountain resort, and the atmosphere there was extremely relaxed but also exotic and unabashedly romantic. Because we spent 10 days there, we got to know the staff pretty well, and there were never any disappointments! All of the houses and bungalows were impeccably maintained and the cozy king-sized beds were appointed with super soft linens. It is not a flashy hotel by the beach. It IS a perfectly beautiful, well-managed, and welcoming place to visit. I don't know if some of the other reviewers have not yet done much travel or what their expectations were.

Go here right now!

Room Tip: Ask when booking where in the resort you will be staying. We had a bungalow deluxe and asked to be p...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 7 in Rincon de La Vieja
Rio Perdido
Rio Perdido
#1 of 1 in Bagaces

Been to Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!