We just returned from our honeymoon in Costa Rica - We spent the first 5 nights at the Four Seasons and then moved to the Borinquen Resort for the last 3 days to see a different part of Costa Rica.
The grounds of the resort are absolutely beautiful - and the pool is one of the prettiest I've seen. The resort is pretty big and is in the mountains - so walking around (or I should say up and down) gets to be a challenge after a while, even if you are in shape. They will come and get you from your room in a golf cart and drive you to another area of the resort. We saw monkeys, frogs, iguanas, and several birds on the grounds.
We were the only guests when we checked in to the resort, which was in a way neat, but in a way raised some questions (i.e., where are the people??). I think it was just a slow period - by the time we checked out we did see several others checking in. Probably because we were the only guests, some amenities of the hotel were not available - swim up bar at pool was not open, etc., and it was hard to get service in some areas b/c there was no one around. They are currently building a gift shop and adding on a spa around the mud baths, it looks like it will be very nice when they are finished.
The rooms are nice and clean - but the beds are very hard (we slept better during a daytime nap in the hammock on the patio than we did in the bed at night). Also, showers were lukewarm at best, and went cold after about 3 minutes.
The staff was friendly and very helpful, when we could communicate with them. Although my husband does speak some Spanish, no one on the resort at the time we were there spoke English so we did have a little trouble communicating (partially our fault, I know).
The food was definitely not the greatest. The breakfast was the best they had to offer, but still not excellent. Lunch and dinner were mediocre, and price was high for the quality.
Overall, we had a good stay, but when we go again I would probably prefer to visit the Borinquen as part of another tour, and stay somewhere else at night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hot Springs Spa at Borinquen Mountain Resort is your exclusive vacation spot located in Guanacaste in the North Pacific Region of Costa Rica.The Hotel was designed and created in 1999 with the sole purpose of unlocking the exceptional beauty of the Rincon de la Vieja countryside and bringing it to the world. When you visit Hotel Borinquen you are literally stepping into a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Borinquen Mountain Rincon De La Vieja
- Resort Borinquen Mountain
- Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort Costa Rica/Rincon De La Vieja