Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort
Hacienda Guachipelin(Rincon de La Vieja)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$104
  • Breakfast included
Blue River Resort & Hot Springs(Rincon de La Vieja)
US$99
  • Breakfast included
Buena Vista Lodge&Adventure(Rincon de La Vieja)(Great Value!)
US$53
  • Breakfast included
Canon de la Vieja Lodge(Rincon de La Vieja)
US$106
US$103
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Paraiso Tropical(La Fortuna de San Carlos)(Great Value!)
US$36
  • Bar/Lounge
US$68
US$36
Orbitz.com
  • Free Internet
All reviewsgolf cartjunior suitezip lineswim up barmud bathhorseback ridingcosta ricahot springsnatural saunasteam roomhowler monkeysday triphot poolslovely poolour honeymoonrainy seasonliberia airport
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 August 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort for the first 3 days of our trip. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. We had 2 superior suites. One for us with a king bed and one with 2 double beds for our teenage boys. Both rooms were decorated with high quality furnishings had big verandas and were clean and quiet. Our only complaint about the rooms was the "eco-lighting" (they could have used a better type of bulb that wasn't as white), and the rooms had a faint mildew smell but that could have been just a product of being situated in a rain forest. However, the room came with 2 large vanilla scented candles that seemed to take care of the odor. I hate to say anything bad about this place because it is truly special.
The spa was wonderful and the food ranged from very good to decent. Another thing to note is that only breakfast is included in your room price and there are no other nearby places to eat.
Definitely take the resort adventure tours. We went on the their 2 for 1 which is about $60.00 per person. It included a magnificent horseback ride through the mountains to see 2 very pretty waterfalls and then over to the zipline platform. Since we had never ziplined before, and my husband and I were both nervous, the guides accompanied us on our first crossing. After that we were ready to handle it on our own. The tour was completely private and the guides couldn't have been nicer. We left at about 9 and got back somewhere between 12:30 and 1:00.
Rene at the front desk is wonderful and very helpful. If you plan to go to Rincon De La Vieja this is definitely the best place to stay. The Hacienda Guachipelin is the more popular hotel in the area but it is a far cry from the quality that you find at Hotel Borinquen. If you are looking for a truly beautiful, off the beaten track experience check out this resort you won't be dissapointed.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We were a family of 2 adults & 3 kids aged 8, 13 & 16 and we stayed at the Borinquen for 3 nights in late July 2010. Overall the property setting is absolutely gorgeous. We were looking for a remote, beautiful location and we were impressed.

We stayed in a "duplex bungalow", basically 2 rooms joined as a little building (rooms 103 and 104). We received a 3 nights for the price of 2 special for each room, and we ended up then paying about USD$100 per room per night. The rooms were clean and comfortable and we thought very good value considering the price we paid.

We went on a number of "excursions" including ziplining twice (GREAT!), horseriding once (ok, but the horses were a bit lazy), and my son went ATV-ing once (which he loved). Additionally, we did the natural steam room, natural mud slathering and natural hot tubs a couple times. We had just come from the beach (Tamarindo) so we didn't use
the pool too much.

Our only real complaint about the hotel was the restaurant, as several people have noted. Breakfast and lunch were ok, but dinner was a bit overly formal. The food was ok, but the waiters seemed to think they were serving in a Michelin-starred restaurant, whereas a fun/happening/I'm on vacation-type of vibe would have been more appropriate. We had some good laughs and all, but frankly the Ottmar Liebert music, wine glasses and filet mignon menu where unnecessary. I don't come to a remote volcano lodge in Costa Rica to have gourmet wine and food, I'm looking for a sprite and a bowl of pasta for my kids and a relaxing, fun dinner for my wife & I. Also (maybe this is too picky) but I prefer to order and receive a beverage before placing my food order in restaurants, but despite my best efforts the waiters seemed to have a script which mandated they take my food order before bringing me anything to drink...

All in all, I would recommend the hotel to others, but I would recommend that the restaurant try not to take themselves so seriously, smile once in a while, and play down the fancy and play up the fun.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2010

I recently stayed at the Borinquen and thought the property was beautiful and the location is so peaceful with awesome views! The staff was so friendly and helpful, and the sauna was amazing. You will also see beautiful butterflies all over the property.

We did have a few issues during our stay. The first is the amount of bugs in the restaurant and pool. While eating dinner, a roach ran across my boyfriend's foot! We had stayed in five other hotels in Costa Rica over our two week trip, so we knew to expect bugs (there are lots in Costa Rica!), but the Borinquen should have done a better job cleaning the pool and trying to keep them out of the restaurant. At one point we sat down to dinner and there were tiny bugs running all over the table. For the price, I would expect they would at least clean the pool! Also, beware of the Crater Adventure hike during the rainy season. We paid $300 for this eight hour hike, only to find out from our guide after we left the property that it can't be done during the rainy season....so the hike was cut back to 2 hours and we still had to pay!

Overall the Borinquen has the potential to be an amazing place with wonderful staff, but something need sto be done about keeping the bugs out of certain areas!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2010

We stayed at the Borinquen Mountain Resort & Spa for four days in late June 2010. Upon arrival, we were instantly enchanted by the beauty of the resort. It has individual luxurious bungalows/suites cascade along the manicured slopes. We stayed in one of the junior suites which are located at the top of the slopes with the magnificent view of the valley. The suite is luxuriously detailed including wood ceilings, full size living room with bar , beautiful and comfortable bedding and high-definition flat screen TV in the bedroom, garden jacuzzi tub for two in the bathroom with view of the valley, and gigantic shower. Outside, the suite has a deck overlooking the valley and the private covered drive way to the front door! The setting for the spa is just so wonderful with sauna that draws the heat from the fumarole below; mud from natural mud pots for guests for self-apply body mud masks; hot springs; swimming pool; natural springs spiral through the spa treatment bungalow! The restaurant serves delicious dishes and very reasonably priced. We took the horseback riding tour and had so much fun. The service is impeccable in every area of the resort.

Borinquen Mountain Resort & Spa is really a gem!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Borinquen for 3 nights and loved every minute of it. The location is remote and beautiful and the wildlife around the grounds of the resort is great. Most of the time my husband and I were the only people around, which was amazing. Small tour groups came during the day but at night there was only one other couple staying there. The service was great and the food was wonderful and creative. We enjoyed a couples massage at the spa and were completed relaxed. The tours available from the resort are perfect and easy because you are right there. We did the horseback ride to the waterfall and then ziplined back to the resort. This was an amazing experience and a must do! We also signed up for the ATV ecological tour, however the ATV's were not working, so the hotel's manager took us in a Pisar (big yellow, open air bus type vehicle) and they comped the tour. So we got to see everything we would have with the ATV tour, just in a different vehicle and for free! It was so nice and great service. The sauna is great, the pools and hot springs are relaxing and the mud is very fun and different. My husband and I decided after the first day that we will return to the Borinquen in the future and can't wait! It is a perfect place to experience the mountain area of Costa Rica and is very romantic.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple