“send your mother in law...”

Hacienda Guachipelin
Haifa
“send your mother in law...”
Reviewed 7 October 2008

no hot water
cold shoulder
does not feel very secure
good breakfast

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bobiko

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 2 August 2008

I will add my two cents to the chorus of folks who were disappointed in this hotel. My husband and I stayed there one night -- glad it wasn't more. For $80, our room had no AC, no clock, no TV. It was a long walk between our room and the front desk and the restaurant -- up and down steps with luggage.
You have to pay for transportation to go to any "sights" or activities. About the only "free" activity was walking to see a waterfall. We did that in a drizzle of rain. Avoiding stepping in horse do-do was a big challenge, as the horse rides take the same pathway.
The restaurant food was bland and overpriced, whether you ate from the buffet or the menu. They basically have you trapped.
When we checked out, our bill was nearly twice what we thought it would be. I suppose, but can't be sure, that this was due to high food prices, taxes and other charges. We stayed in three hotels during our weeklong stay in Costa Rica. The Guachipelin was the worst.

• Disliked — Trapped
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Lulu1948
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 23 July 2008

I stayed here with my husband and three teenage sons during July. We were drawn in by the adventure package they offered and the nicely designed website but found the estate to be less than desirable. It's very remote, so much so that you really have to eat on property for meals and the food was terrible. We did the whitewater innertubing and horseback riding. Both were fun but I'd recommend staying elsewhere and just coming for the day on an Adventure Pass. The pool was disgusting - clouded and dirty. Really very little to do on the property. Rooms were clean but the beds were very hard. We decided to bite the dollars and check-out a day early and head to our next destination. The electricity was down when we went to check out. The receptionist handed us our key back and told us we could not check out until the next day. When we explained that we were leaving a day early, she said the electricity should be back up in about 4 hours and to come back then and they would check us out then. We gave them the keys, told them to email us a detailed copy of the charges when the electricity came back on. We have yet to see it. Save your money, don't stay here.

• Liked — adventure activities
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank chattykatty
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed 22 June 2008

My friend and i corresponded with someone who "booked" our transportation from Liberia to the hacienda and our tours. it turns out we were communicating with someone in the corporate office and they didn't relay any of our plans. We had no transportation set up and ended up taking a taxi to the hacienda. the price was the same, but we were obviously disappointed. our tours also had to be rebooked, but there were no issues. It is very obvious we were not in america though, i would figure they would be apologetic and try to make up for this lack of communication, but no... they did not seem to this these inconveniences were an issue.

the staff was friendly, however didn't speak english very well.

the canopy tour was awesome...i highly recommend it.

the place also increased our price at the last minute. didn't really appreciate this, but i wasn't in a position to argue it.

the room was very hot (not ac) and i didn't think the fan did a proper job, and while quaint i don't feel it reflected the price (~$110/night for a quad).

the restaurant food is good, and Jimmy is a great waiter! :)

Overall, we had a nice stay and I would stay again, but only for less than ~$75/night for a quad.

I lost my black jack phone there, so if anyone finds it- give me a holla. ha! :)

• Liked — beautiful scenery
  • Disliked — indifference of staff
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hrborders
Edmonton
Reviewed 23 April 2008

The Hacienda Guachipelin hotel is located on a working cattle ranch and although it appears to be a charming little hotel, I had a pretty horrible experience.

The hotel is near the town of Curubande, about a half hour drive up a bumpy dirt road. When my sister and I arrived, we were pretty pleased, the rooms were nice, the front desk personnel were friendly, but that's about all that was good about this place.
Please keep in mind that I am a pretty easy-going person and not much of a complainer, but I did not enjoy my stay here at all and left completely crushed.

As I mentioned, the woman at the front desk was friendly and helpful, but the rest of the staff were rude and very abrupt when asked about something. I know that the official language in Costa Rica is Spanish and I respect that, but when the tour desk operator doesn't speak any english at all, you run into a lot of problems. This is true with most of the staff members and makes for some seriously uncomfortable situations. We never felt at ease at this place at all and were treated very poorly by the majority of the staff. Everyone seemed very cold and snubbed you if you didn't speak Spanish, no matter how hard you tried. It made us feel pretty bad.

The second morning we were there, we decided to ask the front desk to book us a taxi to take us to the national park at 8:00 am. We got to the lobby at 7:45 and waited for an hour before anyone showed up. And of course, the driver did not speak or understand any english. When he dropped us off, I asked him to come back at 2:00. I even held up 2 fingers to help him understand what I meant and repeated myself numerous times. He nodded his head that he understood and even repeated my request back to me. I was relieved and thanked him warmly before he drove off. At 2:45 we were still standing in the parking lot in the sweltering heat waiting for our taxi. It never came. Finally, one of the park rangers asked us which hotel we were staying at and called to tell them they forgot to pick us up. Talk about embarassing. When a driver showed up, I was wishing we would have just taken the hour to walk back. Again, he was very rude, did not even smile. When I asked if he was going to our hotel, he didn't even answer, he just cocked him head toward the back of the bus, indicating for us to shut up and get in. He was wating for us in a different parking lot than the one we got dropped off in and seemed mad that we didn't realize this. He made us feel horrible even though we did nothing wrong. And it gets better....

The next morning, we were going to be leaving, but decided to go ffor little walk before we packed up. When we came back about an hour later, we realized the cleaning person must have been in our room because our beds were made up. We didn't need them to come in because we were checking out in the next few hours anyway, so I thought it was weird for them to come in and make the beds up when they were going to be stripping them right away for the next guest. After a little investigating, I figured out why they came in. I had left my little travel bag tucked under a chair and when I looked though it, sure enough, $200 american was gone. I was crushed. I couldn't believe someone took the time to find my bag, dig around inside, find another smaller bag where I kept my money, and look though all the little pockets until they found cash. It's not like I even had money lying around on the dresser or anything. They had to actively search through a lot of stuff to find my cash. The kicker is that we even had some money for the maid left out on the table, assuming they would come in after we checked out.

Of course I was extremely upset and thought to myself that this was the perfect way to end our horrible experience at this place. We were treated like crap the entire time. I informed the front desk of what had happened, and of course, there was nothing they could do since it would be the maid's word against mine. I later realized that the cleaning staff wa made up of a couple of teenagers.

The hotel does not have those Do Not Disturb signs you can hang on your door so the maid won't enter. The cleaning people can come into your room whenever they damn well please, and they can and WILL go through your belongings.

In closing DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!! It was absolutely the worst experience I ever had while travelling. So save yourself a lot of frustration and stress and stay anywhere else but here!

• Liked — I have absolutely nothing kind to say about this hotel.
  • Disliked — The fact that the maid stole $200 from my purse.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank Moogles07
British Columbia
Reviewed 21 March 2008

We stayed for 2 nights / 3 days at Guachipelin. A great base for day trips in Rincon de la Vieja National park. The volcano, waterfalls, geothermal activity and forest were all amazing.

The Hacienda Guachipelin is a very big property and you can do lots of exploring with a walking distance of the ranch. There is a map available to guide you.

Our room was fine - large and clean. The food was acceptable but you are captive there and there are no other options nearby.
It was fairly busy and there were travellers from all over Europe and some from N. America.

We really enjoyed the zipline experience in the trees and canopy. The landscape is filled with beautiful trees and numerous spectacular river gorges.

• Stayed February 2008
2 Thank ivanrabano
Michigan
Reviewed 19 January 2008

A disappointment in many ways. The staff spoke very little English and seemed very slow to take care of things. It was very hot here, and there was no a/c. the room was fairly nice, but it contained a queen bed and a sofa bed. That would have been OK, except that there was no bedding for the sofa bed and towels for 2. And there was no room to open the sofa bed! We had to turn it 90 degrees to have room to open it. It took two requests to get towels and bedding, and the “bedding’ turned out to be one sheet and a pillow (only because we requested extra pillows to supplement the 2 inch thick ones on the queen bed). It was so hot in the room, though, that this turned out less of a problem.
Meals here were mediocre at best – mushy, overcooked and uninspired buffet food, flies everywhere. My son opened up the soup kettle and found a layer of dead flies floating on top. They started spraying pesticide right in the middle of lunch and a cloud of bugs descended on the restaurant, sending everyone away from the window side. You are held captive - there is nowhere else easy to get to.

We were supposed to go on a naturalist-led hike as part of our tour. The tour brochure describes it as “Guided Forest Hike: Explore with a naturalist guide to learn about the flora and fauna of the Costa Rican forest”. What we got was a cowboy from the ranch who spoke very little English and walked in front of us as we did the path at the National Park. While he was very, very nice and tried his best, this was far from what was described in the brochure. This is a strange place to begin with - they own the only road into the National Park and they charge everyone who comes through their gate $2 to get to the park. If you are staying at the Lodge, they charge you $5 a ride to the park entrance.

The only outings offered here are more high-adventure type things that we were not interested in. There is not much else to do here. We walked around the grounds and sat by the pool. We watched a lot of people having trouble with the bill-paying process when they checked out. My son went horseback riding and he had a great time.

• Liked — beasutiful location
  • Disliked — food was terrible
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
#1 of 7 in Rincon de La Vieja
Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort
Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort
#2 of 7 in Rincon de La Vieja

Been to Hacienda Guachipelin? Share your experiences!