“Would recommend.”

Hacienda Guachipelin
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The hotel is nothing special but it is nice and clean. I would not hesitate to stay here again. For me, if I had been staying more than 2 nights, it would have been too remote. You are in the middle of no where, but we wanted to go to Richon National Park it was a perfect location since it is one of the closest hotels to the entrance. Roads were not paved and were a bit bumpy once you got off the main highway, but it was not as bad as I had been expecting. The restaurant was not great, but it was good. And as others have said there are no other options close by. Highly recommend the Adventure Tour as it is a good deal at around $100, but if you are afraid of heights skip the zip lining, which I know is kind of a no brainer, but thought I would give it a try for once. I absolutely hated it, but my boyfriend and son thought it was excellent. The tubing, horseback riding and hot springs were also very nice. There is a big climb up and down a hill carrying your tubes on each end of the tubing trip, so if you have mobility issues that would make it hard. They don't really offer it but you do have the option to book the tours separately if you don't want to do all things included in the adventure pass. We did book a superior room as it was not that more in cost. I didn't see the regular rooms so I can not recommend on way or the other, but the room was more than spacious enough for the 3 of us and having the hammock out front was great as our son spent most of his downtime hanging out there. It was spotty but did have some wifi access, but no luck sending photos via text since they were too large.

2  Thank jmb84
jose b, Director General at Hacienda Guachipelin, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

There are newer reviews for Hacienda Guachipelin

Reviewed 30 July 2014

What a fantastically unwinding experience this place was, when we arrived after a long journey I was dissapointed at first,the people in reception seemed unusually unbothered,we were not brought a welcome drink or anything and the accomodation was sort of like a motel- single level, quite small ,strangely mustard coloured and white tiled shower and wash area,small dressing facility, you sat outside on the shared terrace area and at times it was difficult to be understood as staff's command of English was in general poor.The dining area seemed a hike away and I got lost several times in the pathways............however the whole place REALLY grew on you and I thought it one of the most wonderfully homely and natural experiences of the tour. Think Hacienda, think Big Country,think ticos who are shy and charming, think of the whole picture and you will love this place and the folk and all it has to offer. Two lovely tame dogs came to our room to greet us and continued to sit on the terrace- very calm, very very gentle.
You come off the main road that links Alaska to Panama and along dry very dry countryside, you get the feeling that you are entering a farming community, lots of barns and cattle and horses- all very ranchlike and this is reflected at Hacienda Guachipelin. It is a low key hotel with Mexican/Spanish type architecture, rooms are adequate and nice touch- candles in every room. There is a coffee machine in rooms and the towels and bedding are clean and comfortable. Our shower needed seeing to and the staff were there in a jiffy to sort it all out- nothing was too much trouble despite a bit of a language difficulty and they made us feel very welcome indeed- I read reports about horse stables being near rooms but we were in the long blocks further away and with a lovely view out of he back window -of horses in the back field. It all felt very charming and cowboy like. Again there were two largeish beds with iron wrought bedsteads and horseshoes holders for face cloths in the bathroom- ingenious,the shower is large and the water pressure great. It is not luxurious but gives you a proper feel of a ranch.
There are hammocks out on the terraces which you can swing along in. There are glass windows and no mesh as at some of the lodges in the forest. The gardens have some very old trees which are huge, several eucalyptus and interesting cacti, the trees are full of chattering parrots.
The dining area is tiered and we were lucky to be able to sample their own home made cheeses and fresh milk and tortillas made in front of you- delicious with a home made mixed fruit jam. The breakfast is buffet style with enough choice for everyone, similarly the evening meal and lunch are buffet, the salads were good, there was fish and steak and pork and sauces, it was all low key but you cannot complain. In the evening there was a guy playing a local instrument- like a xylophone in wood which continued for all evening, there is an indoor water feature with a miniature Christian grotto at its head and a large stained glass window in the dining area, all very unusual I thought. The place has antique type items scattered all around-eg old stoves, wheels etc and the washbasins in the bathrooms outside the dining room are fabulous- the bowls are beautifully decorated. There is also a rather odd paper mache artwork of a couple in the iternet part next to reception???. The pool is not huge but welcome after a hot day's sightseeing.
This place is a working rach which has been opened up to visitors. There are many mainly white horses stabled there and large white cattle are kept at the back of the ranch aswell as further afield more brown cattle. This is just so endearing and such an age away from commercialism it is beautiful.
Part of our tour included a horseriding afternoon with the most gentlest of guys called Rafael- he knows every horse- there are 400 and he knows which horse to suit which rider. We rode along some lovely scenery close by and quite rugged and hilly in parts, prickly bark trees, mountains in the distance,we stopped off for a drink and a walk to the waterfalls and to see the river- very clear water, the horses are very very gentle, they know exactly where to go and what to do and as Rafael was brought up with them they know him and the other guys well..The ride was longer than I had thought it would be The terrain was rocky and they did so well to trot along between the stumps of wood and rocks- lovely creatures. We did have a laugh cantering- my sides- and buttocks ached for a bit afterwards !It was a fun and lovely afternoon which I will always remember.We watched them at the back of our room in the field as they ate, could have stayed there for ever simply watching these wonderful creatures.
This hotel is where the tubing takes place- you go to a separate part of the hotel where you can purchase reef shoes, refreshments etc and there you are taken in one of the old yellow buses (i was wondering why these were parked outside the dining area) to the river. It is quite strenuous- you get changed into your bathing gear in a cubicle block in the middle of the woods, then you are given instructions and have to carry your own coracle down to the river- at first this was all a bit of fun for me- I don't swim and the water level was vey low- but then when you get to certain parts the tube spins quite ferociously and you hit various rocks jutting out of the water - usually you end up diving downwards backwards- which is quite exciting .You do reach some parts where there is hardly any current so you can end up with burns on your arms as you try to paddle some movement with your arms- this all went fine until towards the end of the stretch I did a backwards slide and the whole coracle ended up on top of me- I was very shaken, took in loads of water and had to be helped by a German guy with his family as there was no help to hand. I wasn't best pleased. To add insult to injury I had to carry the damned tube all the way back up the hill. You can purchase a cd of the experience back at the hotel. I ended up quite bruised and vowed I would never go tubing again.
In all I really did enjoy it here- minus the tubing fiasco- you will find that the folk here are lovely, touchy, genuine, open and natural people untainted by the modern world. Jose Gonzales helped us with our baggage at the end of the stay and told us about his family from Nicaragua- which then gave us the idea to visit that country later on in the tour.Rafael is one of the gentlest men you will ever meet. Very peaceful, sad when we left.

Room Tip: we were in 53
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rebecca M

Dear Annette,
Thank you for the great review of our hotel!
Hope to have you back soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The activities at the hotel were first rate and I would highly recommend them. However, stay someplace else for the night. It's not terrible - it's just not nice. No hot water in our room, for example. Lots of bugs in the room and bathroom. (I know it's a jungle out there, but I don't want to sleep with them!). The pool is small and not too dirty, but not really clean either. The only place to eat is the on-site restaurant, and the food is very mediocre. I'm not mad I stayed there, I just would recommend that you day trip to enjoy the wonderful activities and sleep someplace else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room next to the pool.

Dear Dirk,
We truly value the opinions of our guests and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Hacienda Guachipelin.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Hacienda Guachipelin has everything. You can just be there to relax or you can fill up your day with activities.
We did the one day activity tour: horse riding to the waterfall, Tubing through Rio negro, hotsprings and mud bath and canopy. Canopy was my favorite as you go through the forest, there are short lines, there is an optional climbing wall with a great view of a canyon.
The hotel is a working ranch, well arranged, with clean and confortable rooms, spacious and located around a huge garden. Our rooms had hammocks outside and they came handy for an afternoon siesta. We also did some hikes to see the falls and around the property. We spent 3 nights there, more than enough.
Cons: Food is less than average and you cannot go anywhere else since it takes at least a 30 min drive to go to the closest town plus since is a national park, entrance closes at 9 pm with or without you. We all got tired of the food (lunch and dinner, breakfast is ok).
Pool is cold... that didnt seem to bother my son but it kind of took me some time to get inside and finally it is always full. We were there during low season and on the canopy tour we had to wait and sometimes felt like we were at the bus station all packed and waiting, i certainly cannot imagine how bad it gets during high season.

Room Tip: Not all the rooms have hammocks if you enjoy just laying there reading a book, make sure to get a ro...
1  Thank ImaV

Dear ImaV, thank you for your great review! We hope to have you back soon in the near future.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We started our vacation in Manuel Antonio the week before, drove up the coast the second week, had a 7 night stay at Condovac and became bored on day two.
so we decided to drive up to Rincon de LaVieja, for a hike around the volcano.
The drive was beautiful, weather cooler, the hike amazing, it was great getting out of the huge resort at Condovac and get with nature.
After our hike we started our drive back to The beach when we drove up to "rio negro" hot springs.
After relaxing for a couple of hours started to get hungry and found our way to the haciendas for lunch. This was one of our highlights of our Costa Rica trip!
ALBERTO!!! Nachos at the bar, watching the Costa Rica soccer team return to Costa Rica with Alberta the bar tender. Btw...best nachos we had in two weeks,
We loved the country feel of the place... A working ranch, the nicest people, we decided to get a room for he night and stay. I'm so glad we did, breakfast was amazing, the room reminded me of being in Wyoming (the smell of wood). We rode horses to two beautiful waterfalls. Spent the next day enjoying all the sights and sounds. Just go with the flow of being in this beautiful country at this beautiful location, no hot water in shower...it's cold but, get wet, get soapy, wash off,
Save water, it works, can't wait to take my grand kids here for vacation....

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tburg58894

Dear guest, thank you so much for your amazing review! We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are excited to have you back with your grand kids.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed 3 nights and it was just the right amount of time. Arrived
later on a Saturday and explored the short walk to las charrarras waterfall . You can walk to it directly from the hotel grounds. The next day we went into the park and hiked LA congreja trail. Hike was very nice but my son lost his gopro jumping in the water by the waterfall, so he wasn't too happy. Monday my husband and I did the adventure tour which truly was adventurous, my sons did the water canyoning and had a blast. The hotel was clean, the staff was very courteous. We were there for the World cup and every TV was working fine. Guachepelin set up a shuttle for 5 of us and it was 85 dollars from Liberia airport. Breakfasts were included and they were great. Other meals could get expensive, but the pizza was very good and you could share. Buffet is included in your Adventure tour otherwise it is $20. Yes there are bugs, you are outdoors, I don't know what people expect. My family had an absolutely wonderful time while we were there.

Room Tip: We had rooms 52 & 53 ,they were fine, away from the restaurant and stables but we didn't mi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DiDon2014

Dear DiDon2014, thank you for posting a review! We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Great location at the entry of s great park, the Rincon de La Vieja. Great access to activities right there. Rooms pretty basic, they try hard but needs updating especially in terms of quality of towels and sheets. Service staff ok but overall not too friendly. Food mostly questionable, only a few things were actually good.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank AngOber

AngOber,
Thank you for sharing your feedback from your stay. We appreciate your kind words about our location. However, we are saddened to read your comments about our hospitality and service. We are usually known for our attentive and friendly staff. We are trully sorry and we would like to apologize for that. We hope you will be giving us another chance and returning to our hotel in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rincon de La Vieja
#2 of 7 in Rincon de La Vieja
Blue River Resort & Hot Springs
Blue River Resort & Hot Springs
#1 of 7 in Rincon de La Vieja

Been to Hacienda Guachipelin? Share your experiences!