Hacienda Guachipelin
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Buena Vista Lodge&Adventure(Rincon de La Vieja)
  • Breakfast included
Canon de la Vieja Lodge(Rincon de La Vieja)
Hotel Javy(Liberia)
View Hotel
Hotel Paraiso Tropical(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Wilson(Liberia)
  • Free Internet
Hotel Daysita(Liberia)
  • Pool
1,491 results
All reviewsnational parkriver tubingday adventurehorseback ridinghot springszip lininggrand tourcosta ricario negroadventure centerday passfree shuttledinner buffeta la carte menuwhite water tubingcanopy tourbuffet style
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 August 2014

I booked a week at this hotel and had a wonderful time, enjoyed horseback riding with Emilio everyday, he took me all over the ranch different directions each trip, he didn't speak any English so it was interesting/fun to try and figure out what each of us were saying. I also did one other adventure activity each day. The tubing was spectacular...loved it, zip lining was scary, but that's my fear of heights I'm trying to overcome, hot springs were great - went there several times, hiking the park was interesting and a good hike. There is a lot of climbing up/down of hills to get to/from activities, lots of walking which is great but be aware of it if you have a hard time climbing. Had a great massage too. The hotel was very clean, loved the decor and the hammock, the staff was very friendly and very helpful when asked. The staffing seemed to enjoy what they do and always laughing or smiling. The only problem I had...I traveled alone here and there was not much to do or anywhere to go after 5 pm. It is more of a couple or family type hotel. I would of like to gone into town for a day but the shuttle cost was expensive, I wish the hotel would of had free shuttles into Liberia. If I go back, I would spend 1/2 week here and perhaps 1/2 week at a ocean resort. Didn't really meet any other people than the staff. Breakfast buffet was good, I don't a big breakfast but they had a good variety for everyone. At night, I ate or ordered food to take back to my room from the bar area everyday. I loved the food that I ordered and their hamburger was awesome, one of the best I've ever had, ordered that several times. I had a wonderful relaxing and adventurous trip...just had a little too much down time, but then that's not all that bad, it did totally relax me. Did make buddies with the ranch dogs :)

Room Tip: I had room 56, furthest from the reception area and it was very quiet. Loved watching them bring the horses in from pasture at 6 am, they were not noisy at all though. I really think all the rooms would be fine, even the ones by the corral. After 4 pm, all horses are out to pasture and the corral is hosed down. Me being alone, would of liked being a little closer to the main area, but I enjoyed where I was too.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Diane M
jose b, Manager at Hacienda Guachipelin, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Diane M we feel really happy with your review. Read about your great experience in our hotel is wonderful. Hope you be back soon with your family.

Thanks :)

Reviewed 31 July 2014

The hotel is nothing special but it is nice and clean. I would not hesitate to stay here again. For me, if I had been staying more than 2 nights, it would have been too remote. You are in the middle of no where, but we wanted to go to Richon National Park it was a perfect location since it is one of the closest hotels to the entrance. Roads were not paved and were a bit bumpy once you got off the main highway, but it was not as bad as I had been expecting. The restaurant was not great, but it was good. And as others have said there are no other options close by. Highly recommend the Adventure Tour as it is a good deal at around $100, but if you are afraid of heights skip the zip lining, which I know is kind of a no brainer, but thought I would give it a try for once. I absolutely hated it, but my boyfriend and son thought it was excellent. The tubing, horseback riding and hot springs were also very nice. There is a big climb up and down a hill carrying your tubes on each end of the tubing trip, so if you have mobility issues that would make it hard. They don't really offer it but you do have the option to book the tours separately if you don't want to do all things included in the adventure pass. We did book a superior room as it was not that more in cost. I didn't see the regular rooms so I can not recommend on way or the other, but the room was more than spacious enough for the 3 of us and having the hammock out front was great as our son spent most of his downtime hanging out there. It was spotty but did have some wifi access, but no luck sending photos via text since they were too large.

2  Thank jmb84
jose b, Director General at Hacienda Guachipelin, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

What a fantastically unwinding experience this place was, when we arrived after a long journey I was dissapointed at first,the people in reception seemed unusually unbothered,we were not brought a welcome drink or anything and the accomodation was sort of like a motel- single level, quite small ,strangely mustard coloured and white tiled shower and wash area,small dressing facility, you sat outside on the shared terrace area and at times it was difficult to be understood as staff's command of English was in general poor.The dining area seemed a hike away and I got lost several times in the pathways............however the whole place REALLY grew on you and I thought it one of the most wonderfully homely and natural experiences of the tour. Think Hacienda, think Big Country,think ticos who are shy and charming, think of the whole picture and you will love this place and the folk and all it has to offer. Two lovely tame dogs came to our room to greet us and continued to sit on the terrace- very calm, very very gentle.
You come off the main road that links Alaska to Panama and along dry very dry countryside, you get the feeling that you are entering a farming community, lots of barns and cattle and horses- all very ranchlike and this is reflected at Hacienda Guachipelin. It is a low key hotel with Mexican/Spanish type architecture, rooms are adequate and nice touch- candles in every room. There is a coffee machine in rooms and the towels and bedding are clean and comfortable. Our shower needed seeing to and the staff were there in a jiffy to sort it all out- nothing was too much trouble despite a bit of a language difficulty and they made us feel very welcome indeed- I read reports about horse stables being near rooms but we were in the long blocks further away and with a lovely view out of he back window -of horses in the back field. It all felt very charming and cowboy like. Again there were two largeish beds with iron wrought bedsteads and horseshoes holders for face cloths in the bathroom- ingenious,the shower is large and the water pressure great. It is not luxurious but gives you a proper feel of a ranch.
There are hammocks out on the terraces which you can swing along in. There are glass windows and no mesh as at some of the lodges in the forest. The gardens have some very old trees which are huge, several eucalyptus and interesting cacti, the trees are full of chattering parrots.
The dining area is tiered and we were lucky to be able to sample their own home made cheeses and fresh milk and tortillas made in front of you- delicious with a home made mixed fruit jam. The breakfast is buffet style with enough choice for everyone, similarly the evening meal and lunch are buffet, the salads were good, there was fish and steak and pork and sauces, it was all low key but you cannot complain. In the evening there was a guy playing a local instrument- like a xylophone in wood which continued for all evening, there is an indoor water feature with a miniature Christian grotto at its head and a large stained glass window in the dining area, all very unusual I thought. The place has antique type items scattered all around-eg old stoves, wheels etc and the washbasins in the bathrooms outside the dining room are fabulous- the bowls are beautifully decorated. There is also a rather odd paper mache artwork of a couple in the iternet part next to reception???. The pool is not huge but welcome after a hot day's sightseeing.
This place is a working rach which has been opened up to visitors. There are many mainly white horses stabled there and large white cattle are kept at the back of the ranch aswell as further afield more brown cattle. This is just so endearing and such an age away from commercialism it is beautiful.
Part of our tour included a horseriding afternoon with the most gentlest of guys called Rafael- he knows every horse- there are 400 and he knows which horse to suit which rider. We rode along some lovely scenery close by and quite rugged and hilly in parts, prickly bark trees, mountains in the distance,we stopped off for a drink and a walk to the waterfalls and to see the river- very clear water, the horses are very very gentle, they know exactly where to go and what to do and as Rafael was brought up with them they know him and the other guys well..The ride was longer than I had thought it would be The terrain was rocky and they did so well to trot along between the stumps of wood and rocks- lovely creatures. We did have a laugh cantering- my sides- and buttocks ached for a bit afterwards !It was a fun and lovely afternoon which I will always remember.We watched them at the back of our room in the field as they ate, could have stayed there for ever simply watching these wonderful creatures.
This hotel is where the tubing takes place- you go to a separate part of the hotel where you can purchase reef shoes, refreshments etc and there you are taken in one of the old yellow buses (i was wondering why these were parked outside the dining area) to the river. It is quite strenuous- you get changed into your bathing gear in a cubicle block in the middle of the woods, then you are given instructions and have to carry your own coracle down to the river- at first this was all a bit of fun for me- I don't swim and the water level was vey low- but then when you get to certain parts the tube spins quite ferociously and you hit various rocks jutting out of the water - usually you end up diving downwards backwards- which is quite exciting .You do reach some parts where there is hardly any current so you can end up with burns on your arms as you try to paddle some movement with your arms- this all went fine until towards the end of the stretch I did a backwards slide and the whole coracle ended up on top of me- I was very shaken, took in loads of water and had to be helped by a German guy with his family as there was no help to hand. I wasn't best pleased. To add insult to injury I had to carry the damned tube all the way back up the hill. You can purchase a cd of the experience back at the hotel. I ended up quite bruised and vowed I would never go tubing again.
In all I really did enjoy it here- minus the tubing fiasco- you will find that the folk here are lovely, touchy, genuine, open and natural people untainted by the modern world. Jose Gonzales helped us with our baggage at the end of the stay and told us about his family from Nicaragua- which then gave us the idea to visit that country later on in the tour.Rafael is one of the gentlest men you will ever meet. Very peaceful, sad when we left.

Room Tip: we were in 53
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rebecca M

Dear Annette,
Thank you for the great review of our hotel!
Hope to have you back soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The activities at the hotel were first rate and I would highly recommend them. However, stay someplace else for the night. It's not terrible - it's just not nice. No hot water in our room, for example. Lots of bugs in the room and bathroom. (I know it's a jungle out there, but I don't want to sleep with them!). The pool is small and not too dirty, but not really clean either. The only place to eat is the on-site restaurant, and the food is very mediocre. I'm not mad I stayed there, I just would recommend that you day trip to enjoy the wonderful activities and sleep someplace else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room next to the pool.

Dear Dirk,
We truly value the opinions of our guests and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Hacienda Guachipelin.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Hacienda Guachipelin has everything. You can just be there to relax or you can fill up your day with activities.
We did the one day activity tour: horse riding to the waterfall, Tubing through Rio negro, hotsprings and mud bath and canopy. Canopy was my favorite as you go through the forest, there are short lines, there is an optional climbing wall with a great view of a canyon.
The hotel is a working ranch, well arranged, with clean and confortable rooms, spacious and located around a huge garden. Our rooms had hammocks outside and they came handy for an afternoon siesta. We also did some hikes to see the falls and around the property. We spent 3 nights there, more than enough.
Cons: Food is less than average and you cannot go anywhere else since it takes at least a 30 min drive to go to the closest town plus since is a national park, entrance closes at 9 pm with or without you. We all got tired of the food (lunch and dinner, breakfast is ok).
Pool is cold... that didnt seem to bother my son but it kind of took me some time to get inside and finally it is always full. We were there during low season and on the canopy tour we had to wait and sometimes felt like we were at the bus station all packed and waiting, i certainly cannot imagine how bad it gets during high season.

Room Tip: Not all the rooms have hammocks if you enjoy just laying there reading a book, make sure to get a room with a hammock (these are the furthest, you will have to walk to the restaurant and the pool).
1  Thank ImaV

Dear ImaV, thank you for your great review! We hope to have you back soon in the near future.