We recently stayed at Hacienda Guachipelin just below the Rincon de la Vieja national park and had a wonderful time.
As others have said the rooms are basic but clean and well presented. We stayed in the original row of rooms which is just between the lodge and the dining area, so didn't have to contend with any 'farm noises'. Anyway, we were too tired after the various outings to do anything other than have a full and deep sleep.
Everything about the area is beatiful and the hotel staff are very helpful and ready to please.
Be aware though that you are isolated in this part of the world and you have no choice on where or what to eat other than the hotel's restaurant - new building with wonderful views and the buffets. Having said that the food is just varied enough between the lunch and dinner (we stayed 3 nights) to be 'different' and at $12 for lunch & dinner, and $6 for breakfast they were very reasonably priced considering the monopoly position.
How to spend time? Well the hotel organises a full adventure activity day including canopy tour (zipping, absailing, tazan swinging, wall climbing etc) which is tremendous fun. The crew are helpful and very safety conscious. We're over 50, relatively fit and rediscovered 'fun'! Also included in the day was tubing on scale 3 rapids which is if you don't mind a few spills and knocks is also funtastic. The crew quickly attach themselves to the less able and guide them through the worst of the rapids and are very helpful. ONE WORD of warning - the water is powerful enough - even in the dry season - to 'rip' the wedding ring off my finger, so give your personals like that to the guides who stayt on the shore. They can also take great photos of you coming through the rapids! You have a choice of mechanised transport to the rapids or horse ride. Take the horse every time! Even if you haven't ridden for some years (we've not since being teens) the horses are docile and gentle and the track down to the rapids is very scenic.
In the afternoon we did the mud baths and again took the horses to get there (we spent 3 hours 'in the saddle' and only a little sore at the end). The mud baths are OK but nothing really special.
The following day explore the park - there are a number of trails there including an easy 3km 'mini volcano experience' if you don't want to hike right up to the rim as well as some trails in the area of the hotel leading to waterfalls for a cooling dip.
In the evenings there's sometimes a marimba band providing a little entertainment and the pool side bar is great to meet up and chat over your experiences with other guests.
If you're going to Costa Rica make sure you spend a couple of days at Hacienda Guachipelin
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hacienda Guachipelin is a comfortable hotel with 54 rooms, each with private bathroom and hot water. The best Costa Rican ecotourism lodge for adventure travel and nature lovers, located at the entrance of Rincon de la Vieja Volcano National Park. This is the most visited National Park in Guanacaste. For the adventurer, there are many activities like horseback riding, the Canyon canopy tour, Rio Negro Tubing, canyoneering, bird watching, as well as trekking to the crater of Rincon de la Vieja Volcano. Free transportation to the National Park and the hot springs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Hacienda Guachipelin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda Guachipelin Hotel Rincon De La Vieja
- Hacienda Guachipelin Costa Rica/Rincon De La Vieja