My wife and I stayed here for two nights in February 2006 while we were on a Costa Rica adventure tour. The setting is stunning, with views of the Rincon de la Vieja mountains in one direction and the Guanecaste lowlands and Pacific Ocean in the other. The property is huge, and a good chunk of it is a working ranch, while another sizeable part is transitional tropical forest. Besides accommodations, the Lodge offers all kinds of activities – horseback riding, ziplining through forest canopy, a suspended canopy walkway, hot springs spa in the middle of the rainforest, water slide through the forest, serpentarium. If you want a few days of fun in a beautiful setting, this is a good choice. The emphasis here is adventure, not luxury.
Rooms are in duplex cabins, spread around a small lake with picturesque views of the coastline. Ours was # 15, right on the lake front. The room was large, with a very large bathroom. The sleeping area was furnished with a dresser, night stand, occasional chair, and it had an open closet with a nice built-in luggage rack with room for two suitcases. The bathroom had a fair amount of counter space, with an open shower stall that has a 6-ft. privacy wall. There are no amenities other than soap. The room was also very dark, due to the small number of light sources and the use of energy saver neon bulbs. In short, these are rustic accommodations – comfortable yet simple.
The front desk staff was friendly and efficient, as were the wranglers, the zipline guides, and the staff at the rainforest spa.
One of the activities we enjoyed the most was the canopy zipline. We had never done this and had some trepidation about it, but the guides were excellent and gave a very thorough safety briefing. If you follow their instructions it is very safe . In short, we disagree with another reviewer and would highly recommend this to anyone. We did another zipline later in our trip and it wasn’t nearly as much fun.
Meals were served in a cafeteria near the cabins. This was a large open room with 8-person tables, with all the ambiance of a school lunchroom. The food was uninteresting and not very tasty – certainly the biggest weakness of the whole operation.
Overall we like the Buena Vista Lodge and recommend it as a comfortable base for exploring this region of Costa Rica.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Buena Vista is a cattle raising Hacienda that changed part of its activity to dedicate itself to ecologic tourism in a rustic environment conserving the idiosyncrasy and culture of the zone. It is located 31 km. from Liberia and it borders with the Rincon de la Vieja National Park. It has an area of approximately 2,000 acres, 1,400 of which are intended to regenerate the forest and where adventure activities take place, always protecting the environment. The remaining 600 acres are dedicated to cattle rising and the ranch produces the majority of the products that the Lodge consumes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia and Booking.com so you can book your Buena Vista Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Buena Vista Hotel Rincon De La Vieja
- Buena Vista Lodge Costa Rica/Rincon De La Vieja