“Beautiful place with average services”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rincon de La Vieja
Rincon de la Vieja Lodge
Reviewed 11 April 2012

The place is in a very beautiful natural setting VERY close to the entrance of the Rincon de la Vieja National Park. You can make it a very healthy active vacation by going to the park for trail walks. Breakfast was included but the other meals are extremely expensive for what you get. Since we had a car we were able to drive back into Liberia for lunch and dinner the next day but this isn't convenient for everybody.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 April 2012

We travel a lot in many different parts of the world, but this was one of the worst "hotels" ever! We stayed here with a group and our guide warned us to search our rooms for scorpions and snakes, that sometimes sleep under the beds or the sheets. We wondered how this could happen in a closed setting but when we saw the "room" we had a slight notion. There were holes in the wall where we could stick our hands through and where all kinds of animals could easily crawl through. The floors were dirty and wax was all over it. There was no hot water and the floor in the bathroom was so broken that you could easily be hurt when you went into the bathroom barefoot ( what I normally do when I like to take a shower). Around the lodge is a heavy wind blowing all year round. The wind was so strong and the rooms so poor that our window curtains were blown horizontally into the room - and the beds were under the window. Last but not least: the wind pulled the roof of our hut (no. 47) 15cm high, only to let it down with a very loud crash - every five minutes, all night long. I don´t know why people dare to call this hotel "rustic", but I think of a lot of other words when I try to describe it. Best thing is: STAY AWAY

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hasile
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I stayed here for three days and two nights in February 2012 and enjoyed the place very much. Rooms are simple, sparse and dated, but they were clean and the bed was moderately comfortable. The stand-alone lodges/cabins were a bit more spacious and nicer. For example, there were no electrical outlets in the rooms save for one near the ceiling that had the fan plugged into it. So, to charge ones phone or camera you'd need an extension cord to reach down from that height. Luxury, this place is not, but it is very close to the National Park and the grounds are well maintained. There were no safes in the rooms I saw. I didn't inquire about them at checkin nor did I have them take my few important documents and money. I just carried them on me to the Park and while staying here. I think there are about 20 cabins and then another 20 regular rooms in the well laid out grounds. Breakfast (included for free with room) was good, as was dinner ($16 extra, but was worth it). I found the food simple, yet well prepared and you can eat as much as you like. Also, the food was some of the more authentic Costa Rican food I encountered on my one week trip. The bar is nice, and the beer was cheap (~$2.25) and cold. They prefer you charge bar and meal items to your room. Upon checkout there were no issues with the charges. The staff was friendly overall, despite having no record of my reservation even when I passed them the email copy that I had printed and brought with me. The only one not so nice was this guy at check in. Rooms were $55-85, I paid 65/night.

Sunsets from the trail above the lodge were well worth the 15 minute hikes. You can see the ocean and some nearer hills. Also you are only about 2km from the Las Pailas entrance to Rincon de la Vieja National Park. You can drive there too but walking is fine, though it is a bit of an uphill.

Cons: skylight in room was subpar, covered in leaves and discolored. There were ants in my room around the bathroom sink. There were larger groups, tours, when I was there making it harder to meet other guest to talk about the park, etc.

Other notes: plenty of hot water, hammocks outside each room with nice views of the garden. Birds a plenty on the property itself, along with some lizards and a really cool large toad seen at night. There are hot springs on the property but I didn't visit them, spending my time instead at the Park. Note, park is closed on Mondays and they won't let you in there after 3pm, but you can still stay there after then if you were checked into the gate by 3. Park is $10 for visitors and $1 for locals. Bring ID or passport to the park as you need it to check in.

Room Tip: ask to see the rooms or cabins first, all seem fine but for taller travelers (6ft/2m+) you may bang...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank KeystoneBill
Reviewed 15 January 2012

we spent 3 nights there and really enjoyed our cabin by the pound and the little stream, the cabin is rustic but very comfortable and clean. views volcano, as close to the park as you can be, beautiful trails start from the lodge property into the forest, gorgeous garden. We had a fantastic time there, the staff was very nice and helpful. i definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 December 2011

This Lodge is located in a beautiful setting at the entrance of the park. Great sunsets, beautiful area, horses, quiet but the rooms are basic with poor insulation. When the wind blows, it comes right through the room as there are gaps at the door and through the logs of the cabin. I noticed all the toilet paper previous guests had placed to fill the gaps. I also did the same as there was a hole in the bathroom coming from the outside and I wanted to prevent insects from coming in.
There was no hot water and only freezing water came from the shower. It was bad enough shaving with cold water from the sink. My friend and I had to take showers in the cabin of another guest who fortunately had hot water.
The food in the restaurant is just acceptable.
This is the closest Lodge to the park but is it worthy it?

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Capisce
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We enjoyed our 3 nights stay at this lodge very much. The room (we did not stay in a bungalow) was basic, but clean and big enough for our family. The hammock was nice with a good view on the beautiful garden. We saw many lizards and iguanas just sitting there. The staff at the lodge was a bit shy in the beginning, but very friendly when we got to know them. Prices for the room and food were very good!
There is enough to do in the surroundings. The trails in the lodge property are not spectacular. But the staff advised us to visit the waterfall outside of the park on our first day and this was great (the guy at the kiosk just before the National Park will try to charge you 5 dollar, but if you tell them you are from the Rincon lodge, they let you go for free). The National Park was unique and beautiful and one of the best places we visited.
The only negative experience we had with the Rincon de la Vieja Lodge was the arrival of a big group from a travel organisation. They dominated the atmosphere, which was a bit of an anticlimax.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Vanderweide
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We stayed in the hotel for 2 nights and it was a very pleasant experience. Already the first impression was very good, the setting seemed like an oasis of peace. Carefully landscaped garden and lovely spacious bungalows with wooden walls, ours was directly overlooking a little river with a small waterfall (the sound of the water during the night was nice). The receptionist was very friendly, and we received a free map of the Rincon de la Vieja park upon arrival. Around the hotel there are ponds and pastures for horses. And nice views of the Rincon de la Vieja Volcano. There were lemon and orange trees in the garden and lots of birds, frogs and we even saw a snake once! There are trails directly leaving from the garden of the hotel - a one hour trail to the Mirador and a trail to thermal waters belonging to another hotel. It is also a short drive away from the Pailas entrance to the Park. The only downside was the dinner - seemed like a pre-fabricated dish, potato puree coming from a box (who would expect that??) and little choice (besides being quite expensive, the cheapest dish was 10$). The restaurant seemed like geared towards organised trips rather than independent travellers (but at the time we were there, there was nobody else eating, so seemed kind of weird). Luckily the breakfast was good and included in the price of the hotel - lots of fresh fruit and good strong coffee a volonte, gallo pinto and eggs, toasts, jam and cornflakes. A good start of the long day of walking the trails of the Park! The service was very friendly. One more thing - there are lots of insects at night, so bring repellent, despite the fact that windows have a mosquito net, but some insects enter nevertheless through the door. Swimming pool was tiny and not really worth going in, but we didn't mind, plenty of other things to do in the nearby Park.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple