“Back to basic...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rincon de La Vieja
Rincon de la Vieja Lodge
Austin, Texas
“Back to basic...”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

This lodge is back to basic. No luxury at all... It's very simple, quiet and it has a peaceful setting. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel, where everything is perfect, this is not the lodge for you.

Cabins: They are very simple but you have all you need (bed, lining, clean towels, soap, shower and hot water). We didn't know what to expect so we took a bugnet in case we needed it since some bugs can get in the cabin (an idea in case you are like me). The cabins are very clean, they clean your rooms everyday. Our cabin had a river running in the back which had a clear running water sound all night (cabin #40). It was nice to have a feeling of nature in our stay. There is no air conditioner in the cabins, but you won't need it. The climate is very fresh at night and you just open a little bit the windows and that's it. You have a little fan on the ceiling that you can use in case you need it. In my opinion this cabin is great if you have a family, we had 3 beds and only used one.

Service: Staff is very nice and informative. They treat their guest with respect and answer all you questions and needs.

Food: It was ok. This is what made me give a 4 star instead of 5. The breakfast is included with your stay. It was ok, but not the best I've had experienced in Costa Rica. We didn't have lunch at the hotel but did have dinner with them. Dinner was ok also, but expensive. I wouldn't mind to pay $17/person if the food was super good but that was not the case. We went out to Playa Cocos to eat on our second night, spent half of this with some drinks and had an awesome meal by the beach (Beach Bums Bar & Grillt). If you have a car this could be an option. It was an hour to get there but we didn't mind.

Ambiance: Quiet, peaceful and unique. Grounds are well mantained. There is a trail from the hotel that will take you to the Hot springs that I heard was nice. We didn't do it due to lack of time but there was a family that told us on their way back they saw the monkeys. (Hint: around 5pm they come out to get some food because most people are already done with their hikes, good time to see the monkeys).

Pool: It has a little pool, great for kids. I didn't care about it.

Overall, this is a great lodge, I would stay here again and is the closest lodge to Rincon la Vieja NP.

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin instead of a room. They have more room and are very romantic.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JVTorres

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Rincon was one of our favorite stops on a recent visit to Costa Rica. On the hotel's extensive grounds we saw howler monkeys, very unusual birds, insects and other creatures. Our cabin backed onto a little stream that serenaded us all night long. The most amazing flowers grow all over the grounds, but especially by the stream. The food was great, and we found it to be the most reasonably priced food of our entire trip. Carlos, the head wait staff was awesome. So helpful, knowledgeable and professional. The swimming pool is small but very refreshing. It was delightful. The national park is amazing. We also really enjoyed seeing the extensive geothermal plants harnessing all that volcanic energy. Distribution lines head north, carrying renewable power to Nicaragua and Mexico! I just wish we had scheduled more time there.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Liz R
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
Reviewed 11 April 2012

The place is in a very beautiful natural setting VERY close to the entrance of the Rincon de la Vieja National Park. You can make it a very healthy active vacation by going to the park for trail walks. Breakfast was included but the other meals are extremely expensive for what you get. Since we had a car we were able to drive back into Liberia for lunch and dinner the next day but this isn't convenient for everybody.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Merzig
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We travel a lot in many different parts of the world, but this was one of the worst "hotels" ever! We stayed here with a group and our guide warned us to search our rooms for scorpions and snakes, that sometimes sleep under the beds or the sheets. We wondered how this could happen in a closed setting but when we saw the "room" we had a slight notion. There were holes in the wall where we could stick our hands through and where all kinds of animals could easily crawl through. The floors were dirty and wax was all over it. There was no hot water and the floor in the bathroom was so broken that you could easily be hurt when you went into the bathroom barefoot ( what I normally do when I like to take a shower). Around the lodge is a heavy wind blowing all year round. The wind was so strong and the rooms so poor that our window curtains were blown horizontally into the room - and the beds were under the window. Last but not least: the wind pulled the roof of our hut (no. 47) 15cm high, only to let it down with a very loud crash - every five minutes, all night long. I don´t know why people dare to call this hotel "rustic", but I think of a lot of other words when I try to describe it. Best thing is: STAY AWAY

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hasile

Travellers are raving about these Rincon de La Vieja hotels

Raleigh, NC, USA
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I stayed here for three days and two nights in February 2012 and enjoyed the place very much. Rooms are simple, sparse and dated, but they were clean and the bed was moderately comfortable. The stand-alone lodges/cabins were a bit more spacious and nicer. For example, there were no electrical outlets in the rooms save for one near the ceiling that had the fan plugged into it. So, to charge ones phone or camera you'd need an extension cord to reach down from that height. Luxury, this place is not, but it is very close to the National Park and the grounds are well maintained. There were no safes in the rooms I saw. I didn't inquire about them at checkin nor did I have them take my few important documents and money. I just carried them on me to the Park and while staying here. I think there are about 20 cabins and then another 20 regular rooms in the well laid out grounds. Breakfast (included for free with room) was good, as was dinner ($16 extra, but was worth it). I found the food simple, yet well prepared and you can eat as much as you like. Also, the food was some of the more authentic Costa Rican food I encountered on my one week trip. The bar is nice, and the beer was cheap (~$2.25) and cold. They prefer you charge bar and meal items to your room. Upon checkout there were no issues with the charges. The staff was friendly overall, despite having no record of my reservation even when I passed them the email copy that I had printed and brought with me. The only one not so nice was this guy at check in. Rooms were $55-85, I paid 65/night.

Sunsets from the trail above the lodge were well worth the 15 minute hikes. You can see the ocean and some nearer hills. Also you are only about 2km from the Las Pailas entrance to Rincon de la Vieja National Park. You can drive there too but walking is fine, though it is a bit of an uphill.

Cons: skylight in room was subpar, covered in leaves and discolored. There were ants in my room around the bathroom sink. There were larger groups, tours, when I was there making it harder to meet other guest to talk about the park, etc.

Other notes: plenty of hot water, hammocks outside each room with nice views of the garden. Birds a plenty on the property itself, along with some lizards and a really cool large toad seen at night. There are hot springs on the property but I didn't visit them, spending my time instead at the Park. Note, park is closed on Mondays and they won't let you in there after 3pm, but you can still stay there after then if you were checked into the gate by 3. Park is $10 for visitors and $1 for locals. Bring ID or passport to the park as you need it to check in.

Room Tip: ask to see the rooms or cabins first, all seem fine but for taller travelers (6ft/2m+) you may bang...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank KeystoneBill
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 15 January 2012

we spent 3 nights there and really enjoyed our cabin by the pound and the little stream, the cabin is rustic but very comfortable and clean. views volcano, as close to the park as you can be, beautiful trails start from the lodge property into the forest, gorgeous garden. We had a fantastic time there, the staff was very nice and helpful. i definitely recommend it.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 12 December 2011

This Lodge is located in a beautiful setting at the entrance of the park. Great sunsets, beautiful area, horses, quiet but the rooms are basic with poor insulation. When the wind blows, it comes right through the room as there are gaps at the door and through the logs of the cabin. I noticed all the toilet paper previous guests had placed to fill the gaps. I also did the same as there was a hole in the bathroom coming from the outside and I wanted to prevent insects from coming in.
There was no hot water and only freezing water came from the shower. It was bad enough shaving with cold water from the sink. My friend and I had to take showers in the cabin of another guest who fortunately had hot water.
The food in the restaurant is just acceptable.
This is the closest Lodge to the park but is it worthy it?

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends