“A nice and simple resort, very conveniently located”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rincon de La Vieja
Rincon de la Vieja Lodge
Reviewed 21 August 2010

A very nice and simple resort, litterally at the foot of Ricon de la Vieja National Park. Simple but spacious rooms and bungalows. Bungalows have front and back balconies, with a view on a pond and a nice little creek. Fair food, friendly service. A great place to stay when spending more than one day at the park

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 August 2010

I had read several less than flattering reviews of this lodge and was a bit apprehensive about our stay but the location of the lodge was perfect for our visit to Rincon. We were pleasantly surprised! The grounds are beautiful and a delightful place for young children with a pool, lots of space to roam around, loads of butterflies and lizards and a restaurant that serves tons of basic but delicious food. The staff was friendly and helpful. It is true that the showers are a bit tricky and the rooms are somewhat Spartan but, if you want all the comforts of home, stay at home. This remote lodge provides more wildlife than almost all the Costa Rican parks we visited combined.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2010

This hotel is a real jewel! If you have once succeeded in finding it , you arrive in such a romantic place - I have hardly ever seen sth like this!! There are several cosy bungalows where you feel so comfortalbe as in a different world! You look outside and see horses with baby horses and ducks and a little pond with waterbirds, it is like a little paradise. You can also make horseriding on those very beautyful horser there - a real adventure. It is actually not so cheap, but worh every Cent, REALLY!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2009

A small group of us planned a two week trip in Costa Rica and wanted to spend several days in the Rincon de la Vieja National Park area. We researched the area and found the Rincon De La Vieja Lodge. From the website it looked like a rustic place and a good fit for our group and itinerary. We e-mailed and called to set a reservation. We reached a person, via phone, with the lodge and gave credit card information to reserve our stay for three nights. When we arrived at the lodge, following a lengthy 5 hour drive, we were "welcomed" by an unfriendly gentleman who, after a cursory look at his reservation book, informed us that we had no reservation with them and that the lodge was completely full. In hindsight we should have asked for a printed or e-mailed confirmation when we set the reservation, but it does not excuse the lodge from "losing" our reservation or the unhelpful, almost combative attitude of the receptionist. He made no offer to help secure lodging at alternate locations and was not apologetic at all for misplacing the reservation. All of the few lodging options near the park were full as well, denying us of the chance to spend time in the park and significantly altering our Costa Rica itinerary. There are so many great lodging options in beautiful Costa Rica, don't risk hurting your vacation by dealing with this lodge!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank HolladayCooper
Reviewed 20 January 2008

This is my first foray onto Tripadvisor. Having visited a few places, some good and some not so good, I felt it would be worth putting my subjective comments up so that others could benefit from my experience.

The staff at the Mountain Lodge, Rincon de La Vieja were not what you would call big on welcomes. I think first impressions do count for something and this place fell well short right from the off. Now, I’m not expecting a fanfare or anything, but a smile and a ‘welcome to etc….’ would have been nice. But no, none of that, from the surly and strict looking security guard at the gate through to the reception staff, it was business as usual. Sign here, give us your credit card details and here’s your key. Fair enough I suppose.

Next we reached our cabin only to find it wasn’t ready. I opened the door to find that the floor was covered in splodges of candle wax and paint from a recent ceiling re-paint. There was also a half read newspaper on the bed. We took the short hike back to reception to let them know and was almost treated with distain. The person radioed the cleaners and asked us to wait ten minutes while things were readied. This was well gone 2 O’clock, the official checking in time. After 10 minutes or so we headed back to find the cleaner finishing off. Going in for the second time I realised that the splodges of wax and paint weren’t from a previous occupant but rather how the floor is all of the time. Again, first impressions and all that. Once in the cabin you realise that the rooms are very basic. I’ve heard lots people refer to these cabins as rustic, which to me sounds a bit like estate agent speak. Rustic to me conjures up an image of quaintness and charm and the cabins here are none of these. A more accurate description would be shabby, grubby and basic.

Although the setting for the lodges is quite nice, I wasn’t that impressed as it all looked a bit too landscaped for my liking. I also found the walks to be a huge disappointment, particularly the one leading to the hot springs, though you do at least pass through some trees where we saw several monkeys which made it more worthwhile. The hot springs at the end of the walk were however a let down. One of the sites was a man made ‘pool’ that was full of the hot water from the springs which looked about as inviting as an acid bath. It was full of dead leaves and branches and it was certainly something that I wouldn’t be submerging my body into. The second one however did look a little more natural but it still fell short of my expectations, may be they were a little too high? Having spent an hour getting to the hot springs, we must have spent all of five minutes at the springs themselves, then again, the smell doesn’t really do anything to keep you there.

With regard to the rest of the facilities at the mountain lodge, then I can say that the food was fine and there was plenty of it. The staff in the restaurant were very friendly as well. The bar was also a friendly place with Alfredo the bar man being more than accommodating whilst serving the drinks.

Overall I wouldn’t particularly recommend this place. The general perception that you get from the ‘front line’ staff, i.e. those at the reception desk and your first point of contact is one of insouciance and indifference. Even when a lift back from a local park didn’t transpire and we ended up walking back to the Mountain Lodge, the staff at the reception didn’t seem the slightest bit concerned. As I say, I wouldn’t………

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank TravelPad
Reviewed 26 March 2007

fantastice setting, super friendly staff that will do anything to please you if they understand what you need. really nice atmosphere with good food and beautiful atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank dan_c-7
Reviewed 16 May 2006

The Rincon de la Vieja Lodge is about 2km past another hotel called the Hacienda Guachapilin. In the off season at least, they are the same price ($67 for two people, breakfast included), but the Rincon Lodge is by far the lesser of the two properties. If you are looking to visit the volcano, stay at the Hacienda, unless you are specifically in search of a very rustic, no frills camping style experience.

When we first pulled up (after 22km of bumpy gravel roads) we saw the grounds which looked nice. There was a rolling green pasture with horses and small sidewalk trails weaving through trees and other landscaping. We checked in at a little shack right at the front, next to the communal dining room. Across from the dining room was a tiny pool surrounded by a concrete moat with some trash in it.

Then we headed to our room, situated in a long, wooden clapboard shack with a corrugated tin roof. The rooms are very dark (actually there was no electricity when we were there, but even at 11am the rooms were dark) and the bathrooms are dingy. You can't flush your toilet paper, so it's sort of like having an outhouse right in your room! The "walls" are so paper thin that we could hear the people snoring next door to us. The mattresses are about 2 inches thick, and there was no fan and very little air circulation. We didn't get much sleep that night.

For lunch, we were served a very typical (and yummy) tico meal of rice and beans and a piece of meat. I was dissapointed to find out afterwards that it cost $10 per person for that.

The thing is, I don't have a problem with no electricity or thin mattresses and walls, it's just that for the price they're charging, you really should get more. We've stayed at places that had a similar rustic feel to them but they were located on cliffs overlooking the ocean so it was worth it. But to drive for an hour and a half on a gravel road to get to a dark and sad place was really disappointing.

We checked out a day early and went instead to the Hacienda (big pool, good restaurant, bright, clean and modern rooms with fans), which also seems to offer better tour packages.

I don't know why Fodor's doesn't mention anything but the Rincon Lodge, but learn from our mistake and avoid it.

• Stayed: May 2006