“zip lining through the rainforest with the emphasis on rain”

Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort Activites
Book In Advance
More Info
US$150.00*
and up
Borinquen Combo Horseback Riding and Canopy Tour
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“zip lining through the rainforest with the emphasis on rain”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My wife and I made a day trip to this resort for horse-back riding, zip lining, and a natural steam spa. This was our first ever zip line experience, and it was thrilling. However, we first had to get to the resort on small, choppy dirt roads for what seemed like forever. Suddenly a beautiful resort pops up. Our adventure started with a horesback ride up the mountain to the beginning of the zip line canopy tour. It was sunny when we got on the horses around 10:00, so we left the rain gear behind. Big mistake. About 30 minues into the horseback ride, the skies let loose. By the time we reached the top, we were soaked to the skin. We received our zip lining harnesses and training in a deluge, and then set off on the first 500 foot zip line. The first line was terrifying, but we became much more comfortable over the next 10 lines. The guides were fun but also very focused on safety. Each harness was always attached to the line at two different points, and while they moved quickly they also took all appropriate precautions. What we did find a little scary was the lightning strom that kicked up during the zip-lining tour. I can't imagine what option we had except to continue, so the 20 people in our group just stood on the metal platform in the treetops until they hooked our metal harness to the metal cable for the next ride. It's interesting how when you have no options, you don't worry much about the lightning storm. In the end, I think the driving rain and thunderstorm added to our adventure and certainly to our memories and stories of our adventure. I can't wait for an opportunity to take the kids zip lining. It makes the thrills of a roller coaster seem pretty tame.

Visited September 2013

Peachtree City, Georgia
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Unique destination for lunch, a mud bath & hot springs!”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

My husband & I had run out of time to hike around Rincon de La Vieja (the park closes at 3pm), I had read about this resort in Frommers & we decided to give it a try. Upon arriving, we were pleasantly surprised how beautiful the resort was. We signed up for their "lunch/spa" package, which was $45 per person. The setting of the restaurant was so peaceful & we enjoyed a romantic lunch, I had the sea bass & my husband had chicken, both meals were healthy & delicious. We then headed for the spa area & put our swim suits on. First was the sauna, which was a rustic hut situated over the hot springs, the smell wasn't too bad & the steam felt wonderful. Next was the mud bath, which was really a bowl full of volcanic mud that you put on your body yourself. When the mud dries, there are showers to rinse off in. Next were the three different springs, from cold to hot. After this you can relax in the swimming pool. The drive back to Liberia was about 45 minutes. Very relaxing & location of this resort was absolutely beautiful!

Detroit, Michigan
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

During our stay in Costa Rica we took a day trip via Canadian Air to Hotel Borinquen Mountain Resort. It was a amazing day. Began the day on horseback. These horses are trained and on auto pilot. Never been on a horse before, it's ok it was my first time too, but no worries because these horses do all the work. Horse backed up the volcano region, thru the rainforest, over a stream... again amazing and breathtaking views. Arrived at the zip lines. What a great set of tour guides. Not only friendly but make your experience memorable. Ask to try the superman/women... how about upside down. I did it!!!!

Had a delicious buffet lunch. Try the steak.. some of the best I had in CR. After filling your stomachs, go relax in the sulfur steam-huts (yes and it smells like sulfur too), slather on some mud.. make sure you get it all over. Then soak it off in the mud baths. Skin never felt better.

A MUST IN COSTA RICA!!!!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank whitejewelrdh
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Truly peaceful”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed here in August, and the resort was really quiet. We enjoyed our private villa - which is like your very own cabin on the mountainside, complete with a small shaded sitting area outside. The furnishings are rustic (read: not very comfortable wood and leather chairs), but it felt more authentic as a result. The service throughout our trip was excellent, both in the restaurant, and also when we went ziplining and horseback riding. I've been on a few trail rides and can say that these were definitely the calmest, best horses I've ridden, and here they were travelling up very rugged, steep terrain with several wash-outs. Try to get Wilmer as your zipline guide if you can - he's wonderfully friendly and went the extra mile to make everyone in our group feel safe, comfortable, and also open to a few fun tricks (like going head first - whooopee!). Food at the resort is fairly average and not that cheap, but the service was good, and the tipica food is the best (the steak, the fajitas, etc.). One word of warning - the rooms do not have much in the way of good lighting - so if you want to see what you're doing in the bathroom, or even for reading a book in the evening, a flashlight or a couple of candles might be a good idea. But in these peaceful, lovely surroundings, just sitting out in the evening and listening to the birds, bats, frogs and insects is entertainment enough -- the wild is singing music all around you.

The spa and pool facilities are similarly low-key and rustic, but we enjoyed this as well as we could take in the pools, mud, steam shack at our leisure with no attendants hassling us or asking for tips, etc. One word of warning - the wood floor in the steam spa is a little rickety, so watch where you step - otherwise you'll be a steam cooked tourist. :)

I also recommend the short walking trail behind the pool area - we saw some great birds, monkeys, and other wildlife there in the trees, and there is an amazing petroglyph as well.

Visited August 2013
Mumbai
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Exhilarating experience in the Rincon de La Vieja....”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We went for a day long trip to the Rinco de La Vieja with a tour company. The mini bus picked us up from the J W Marriott and after about a 1 1/2 hour drive we reached the Borinquen resort. We went for a hour long horse ride up into the mountains and after we reached the designated spot the staff there geared us up for the canopy line. Being the first time we were all a bit apprehensive and the wife & daughter refused to go unless the local guides took us across. My son & I went across solo and the experience can't be described in words. The sheer beauty of the rain forest and the speed with which one went over it was breathtaking. In all there were 10 canopy lines that brought us down the mountainous valley in a zig zag pattern. The whole process took more than a hour and is something my family will remember forever. It was so enjoyable that my wife & daughter overcame their fear and went solo on the last two canopy lines.
After that there was another treat in store; two ATV vehicles on which we rode doubles for a distance of about 8 kilometers through muddy tracks in the rain forest up to the hill sides with breath taking views and finally looping back. The twisting and bouncing drive was an adrenaline rush that was incomparable.
At the end and after a satisfying lunch the day ended soaking our tired and aching bodies in the natural hot springs of the volcano. All in all a superb end to a week long vacation in the magical country of Costa Rica.

Visited May 2013