Review Highlights

Please Go!

Reviewed 24 June 2018
Brittney W
via mobile

All reviews living quarters costa rica pablo cacao school property lunch knowledge
Reviewed 16 August 2018

We were a large mixed group of 9 preteens, teens and adults, all of whom enjoyed the tour. Pablo took us through the production of chocolate, from seedlings to finished chocolate bars in some detail with a good dose of history and economy thrown in. His passionate and deeply knowledgeable tour was fascinating and was well illustrated by the opportunity to taste the product at every step of the process. Finca la Anita is beautiful and well worth the trip. We came away convinced that high quality chocolate is a health food. Will make me feel less bad when I reach for a late night dark chocolate snack in the future.

Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

We ended up here with a hope that they would see us as our hotel (Blue River) was very out of the way and extremely disappointing so we wanted to escape for the day. With luck, Pablo was giving some high schoolers a tour and allowed my husband and I to tag along. I certainly recommend you call and plan your visit in advance.

This is truly a beautiful piece of property with owners who clearly have a passion for what they do. Pablo completed the tastings, tour, and lunch himself. He shared how the chocolate is made and showed us where the ingredients he uses come from, most right there on the property. Afterwards he prepared a heart of palm salad right there on the spot. Talk about farm to table!

Since it was my husband and I and a group of teens we were given the honor of having lunch with Pablo. I must say he is quite a conversationalist with abundant knowledge. Out of our week in Costa Rica this was certainly one of the best parts. If you are touring about, I would recommend staying a night or two here. If not, it's worth the drive.

1  Thank Brittney W
Reviewed 22 June 2018

Where's the button for six?!

This was my fourth trip to Costa Rica. I can best sum it up this way.... I went for the rain forest and the beaches, I went back because of Ana and Pablo. The chocolate tour is worth the entire trip, but the food at the restaurant was also amazing (I'm a vegetarian, and the cabbage leaves stuffed with mango were UN believable!)

Luckily I stayed for 7 days. I woke up to the sounds of the rain forest every morning and brewed myself a pot of coffee (also exceptional) and sat on the deck watching the hummingbirds, listening to the howler monkeys and feeling like I was in heaven. Pablo coordinated a number of excursions, but the grounds at Finca la Anita are beautiful and worth exploring on their own.

Everyone is so warm and welcoming that I was genuinely sad leaving. Go, and then go back!

1  Thank bobwein
Reviewed 8 June 2018

This tour is a chocolate lovers dream come true. Pablo the owner spent a good amount of time with us sharing the history and secrets of great chocolate. There was a nice walking tour around the farm, great walking trails and of course LOTS of chocolate to sample and try. Lunch was fabulous, consisting of fresh foods grown on the farm or the local town and community. It was a relaxed day of just enjoying the beauty of Costa Rica. I will never think of chocolate in the same way again. We felt very much like values guests and friends by the time we left. I would add that due to the educational part of the tour, this might be best for school age children and above. They also have an amazing lodge. We are considering staying there for a couple nights on on next trip to Costa Rica.

1  Thank Mary R
Reviewed 28 February 2018

This was the best tour I have taken in Costa Rica.Pablo was a excellent tour guide.We learned so much about what good chocolate taste like.The farm was beautiful.Great experience. I CERTAINLY would recommend this tour.

2  Thank maryblyth
Reviewed 19 January 2018 via mobile

Oh yes! Pablo did a great tour from 9.45 till approx. 13.30. But the time depends on how interested you are. It seemed that Pablo was there only for us. He made it perfectly. Note that this is really about cacao and its way to chocolate and not a tour about different chocolats.

1  Thank Schweizer_6000
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

Went there after doing the falls. Enjoyed personal service and attention. Small educational talk and short walk to the tree farm to see the start of what makes chocolate. After we went to the cooking and prep area ground the beans and went through the total process of making chocolate. About 1.5 hours long and only 5 minutes from La Fortuna waterfall and 5 minutes from town. If you are curious about the making of chocolate and interested in seeing a chart that will definitely improve your health if followed. Check this out. Free parking and bathrooms

1  Thank RKD1914
Ana P, Propietario at La Anita Rainforest Chocolate Tour, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2017

Hola!
Greetings from La Anita Rainforest Ranch!
Sorry I think you posted a review in the wrong place. This is La Anita Rainforest Chocolate Tour. I think you took a Chocolate Tour Show near Fortuna.
We at La Anita are located near the Rincón de la Vieja Volcano. This is a working cacao farm, we produce cacao and convert it into chocolate to export to Europe and USA. As a side activity we offer the Chocolate Tour of about 5 hours in wich our visitors can see the entire process that is not for the show but for the real preparation of chocolate to send outside the country.
Thank you!

Reviewed 28 June 2017

Ana and Pablo do a great job of showing you their organic farm and discuss the quality of chocolate and its history. The tour includes the best chocolate I have ever tasted. A must do in Costa Rica AND the small town they are located in is authentic Costa Rica and not touristy. You won't regret your stay here.

1  Thank Toni L
Reviewed 24 June 2017

One of the coolest and most interesting places I have ever visited. The chocolate factory was awesome and the land was insanely beautiful

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
1  Thank chriselwell
Reviewed 14 June 2017

Finca la Anita is amazing! The people there are very nice and the cabins are in a great location! Not to mention the delicious homemade food! I would definitely recommend and am very excited to return!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction