“worst place I've ever stayed”
Review of Carlyle Hotel

Carlyle Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Campbell
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I got this place through Priceline. It was so awful I don't even know where to start. Upon arrival, I asked the clerk for 2 beds. He told me that since I chose 2 adults when bidding, I only get one king bed, it was their policy. I had to pay an extra $26.00 to get 2 single beds. I was baffled by this because not all adults want to share a bed. I argued for a while, but just gave up since they had a made up excuse for everything. The room was disgusting. The blankets had at least 5 holes in it. The headboard was so dusty, it looked like no one has cleaned it in months. The mini fridge didn't fit into the space they place, so the door swang open the entire time. I won't even go into the bathroom description. Don't bother using the Wifi, it doesn't work, even from the lobby. I don't know if I can trust Priceline for the lower stars. To add insult to injury, the hotel is not in Palo Alto, but in San Jose. I was visiting Stanford with my son and needed something near. I was also driving up to Portland after, so convenience was important. By the way, this place is not cheap. It was over $100. Here's a tip, just stay at any other chain motel, and stay away from this crap hole.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank bakingmom
carlylehotelcampbell, Webmaster at Carlyle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Carlyle Hotel for your recent stay in our area. I am sorry it was not the pleasant experience you had anticipated.

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

• Housekeeping staff received additional training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

• Maintenance was informed of the problem you reported concerning the mini fridge, the problems with the bathroom, and the non-working Wifi and instructed to all necessary repairs.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Carlyle Hotel. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed 19 April 2011

Upon arrival to the room, I noticed what smelled like cigarette smoke that had tried to be covered up.
I asked to be moved to another room, was shown two other rooms, which had the same smell. Because of the condition of the room in general, I pulled the sheet and blanket down. The sheet had was appeared to be blood stains along with holes on the sheets. The pillowcases also had stains and looked used without washing.
I called to have clean sheets brought up...but I forgot to add additional clean pillowcases. I would think that would be automatic to include the cases with the "clean" sheets. NO...had to specifically ask for clean cases.
There was ONE washcloth in a room for two people.
I had to go and ask for another one from the woman cleaning the rooms.
When I mentioned the washcloth issue, I was asked why I didn't call and ask for one????
REALLY! Are you joking?
My question is why would I have to ask..makes sense 2 people, 2 washcloths.
More to the point was the attitude of the clerk...not concerned with the paying customer...
only her inconvenience.
I have stayed in that hotel on another occasion and had a good experience.
That is why the reservation was made.
I know "things" happen but it is the clerks duty to represent the companies policy and attitude and to make sure staying is a good experience so you want to come back.
This was hardly that.
This hotel is off my list.
You don't pay to be treated like you just came off the street and the hotel is doing YOU a favor.
I am so stunned that a hotel such as this would have the first person you meet, have such an attitude and be rude on top of that.
This will never happen again, at this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't book your reservation at this hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for choosing Carlyle Hotel for your recent stay in our area.

• The desk clerk received additional training in the courteous manner in which our valued guests are to be treated.

• Housekeeping received additional training in the courteous manner in which our valued guests are to be treated. They also received additional training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

Reviewed 18 April 2011

The bed was very comfortable and the room was extremely quiet. Couldn't hear any traffic. However, there was suppose to be a refridgerator and there wasn't . There was a cupboard where it should be with an electrical outlet, but no fridge. This was very inconvienet.

Room Tip: ask in advance for fridge in room
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2010

interfered with sleep. December 2009, the mattresses were fine but a year makes a big difference. We had 4 rooms for family and they all complained about the beds.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Lattylock

Thank you for choosing Carlyle Hotel for your recent stay in our area.

• We approached the management with your review, and the problems you and your family experienced with the beds. We discussed the possibility of making them more comfortable.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Carlyle Hotel. We take our reviews seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed 17 October 2010

We stayed one night. This is right off the freeway, I mean RIGHT off it & on a busy street. We were worried because the area does not look safe in daylight & it is right next door to a hotdog haus <that's open 24 hrs a day..that's just weird>
the parking is in the basement & not attended or patroled. A sign said not to leave anything valuable in sight in the car...that was kinda scarey. The luggage cart had under inflated wheels. We told them about it & we used it the next day & the wheels didn't want to turn they were still so flat. We had a room on the 2nd floor facing away from the street.
The curtains were really efficiently room darkening. The beds were comfortable I'd rate them 8 out of 10. The room was not cramped. The bathroom had a light that was motion sensitive...and a toilet that was super loud as it was a water conserver kind. The carpet was kind of old, and there were stains on the mattress cover, though the sheets were clean and very soft. There were plenty of blankets though some were showing their age they were soft and clean. The breakfast was included and was continental... it was not hugely varied, but it was adequate if you aren't into big hot breakfasts. We found didn't have a problem sleeping, it was quiet, comfortable convenient and the staff was attentive. Note: we always travel with a white noise maker because we have a difficult time sleeping, it doesn't mask medium to loud noises. I believe that you could hear the freeway noise but I think that it was a constant swishing background noise that other people wouldn't mind. and it wasn't obvious if you were just sitting in the room reading.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 July 2009

I stayed at this hotel a few times. What I really enjoy about staying at the hotel is once you stay here, the staff won't forget you. I have business right down the street. It's clean, comfortable and front desk gal is very helpful with local area. This guys understand that everyone is an a budget. Rates are affordable and lots of local resturants. Try the indian place next door. Great trail for you runners.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 July 2009

I stayed 2 nights and had an odor like someone had been smoking but it was a nonsmoking room Included was breakfast which was OK but charged a lot for what they offer they did not put enough towel for the amount of people that was in the room the ice machine was out of order I was told to go to the gas station

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business

Thank you for choosing Carlyle Hotel for your recent stay in our area.

• Housekeeping received additional training in making sure there are enough washcloths and towels for the number of people staying in the room.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of the broken ice machine and instructed to see to necessary repairs.

• Desk staff was informed that telling our valued guests to go to the gas station for ice when the ice machine was broken was not appropriate.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Carlyle Hotel. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Campbell
Bristol Hotel
Los Gatos Lodge
Los Gatos Lodge
#6 of 6 in Los Gatos
TownePlace Suites San Jose Campbell

Been to Carlyle Hotel? Share your experiences!