“Horrible room”

Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Campbell
Walnut Creek, California
“Horrible room”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel recently because we had medical appointments in the area. It seemed safe and decent according to reviews...but it was not. The front desk man was kind and polite....at first. I had to call him to ask about the lock. He said the chain on the door was obsolete and to use the black button, but it did not work, and even if it did, the entire door frame was coming off so nothing would hold the door shut. Then the TV did not work, so he had to come fix that. Then the a/c did not work so he told me to be patient. We waited an hour, it was so hot that we were sweating in our room. I asked for a new room and he said no. I did not feel safe or comfortable in the room. He said all he could do was give us a fan. Even with that on, we were sweating all night. The window was glued shut and would not open. I was not able to sleep a wink and my poor daughter with her migraine was miserable. I did not want to leave the hotel as I was afraid to be out after dark and only wanted to get her a good rest before her next appointment, but obviously that was not possible here. The breakfast was stale muffins and cereal so we passed on that too. The really sad part is when my travel company called to ask about it, the manager lied and said I slammed the door and was yelling....not what I would ever do, especially with a child who had a migraine! It was horrible!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank countrymomx4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Korean first
Southern Cal
Reviewed 27 February 2013

San Jose is getting busy again, so nothing available near the airport for under 200 bucks. I had seen this place on expedia a few times and it looked OK, so booked a single room for one night.

Ample parking underground, check in was easy. Nice couple at the front desk.

The hotel is nicely decorated, a heck of a lot better than most in this price range. Nice carpet and furnishings, a french theme in the common areas. A little weird on my room though, the table lamps were Chinese theme and nothing matched, but no big deal.

The room is large and relatively comfortable, and the window opens, a very good thing for me. I didn't notice any smoke smell.

The problems I had were with what is obviously an understaffed maintenance department. The heater didn't work in my room, so the desk clerk brought up a small portable heater. Not a uge deal but still.

I needed to pull out the nightstand to plug something in, and there was trash and gum behind it. Ick. there was no way I was going to put my hand down there, so I moved the chair next to the bed and guess what? More trash, yay!

In the morning I went to the shower and noticed a line of black mold at the top of the shower enclosure. Not a big deal for me, but my wife would have had an asthma attack from that. Not cool.

Overall, it's an OK hotel that just needs a good scrubbing. I like to support small business when I can, but there's no way I'd bring my family here unless it changes. I'll probably stay again on business though. it's a good value, if you can tolerate some things that are less than ideal.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank mgershenson
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Do not stay at the Carlyle if you have allergies, especially to mold and smoke. Nice staff but I would avoid this place if you want to breathe. Also, the door lock to my room was not secure and all that worked was a flimsy toggle bolt.

Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Forehandr
Yuba City
Reviewed 16 October 2012

I made the trip to the Bay Area to see my brother. He was at Good Samaritan Hospital. This hotel was very close....a little over a mile. My room was very comfortable. The lighting (especially in the bathroom) was very good. It was quiet. I would stay there again.... for it's location.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Paul S
San Diego
Reviewed 13 September 2012

This was the worst hotel stay of my life. When I first got to this hotel, I parked in the downstairs garage, which is the only place to park. It was a mess with garbage everywhere. When I checked in, I smelled cigerette smoke everywhere. When I got to my room, there was the smoke alarm hanging by wires out of the ceiling, more cigeratte stench, and a 3 inch mattress from the 1950's that was very uncomfortable, peeling wallpaper, and a very noisy air conditioner. When I went to use the internet, it didn't work at all. I opened up one of the desk dwars, and there was a empty pill bottle, and sheets of foil from someone smoking illegal drugs. I was shocked. I had to call the front desk to let them know, and they moved my room. When I got up the next morning to shower for work, I immeadtely noticed that there was a shower head, but no switch to make the shower, (instead of the bath), run. I shampooed under the bath facet and knelt on the floor. Overall, this was an unbelievable nightmare. Whatever you do, don't stay at this [--].

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
San Diego, California
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I've used this hotel 6 times, once per year, whenever I visit San Jose for family. While the building is old and shows it every now and then, I have never had any major problems with the room. I did notice that the jacuzzi tubs were deactivated several years ago. However, in general this hotel is clean, the beds are comfortable, the staff has always been friendly and helpful. Although it's near the freeway, the traffic noise in the room is non-existant. When accessing the hotel, a u-turn is needed when coming from the freeway, as well as leaving the hotel when you want to drive southbound on Camden Ave. Even after traveling internationally, this hotel's overall quality holds up well to anywhere else I've stayed. If you're visiting San Jose, or the southern parts of the Bay Area, I can recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: North side rooms are away from the street.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
South Lake Tahoe, California
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My family and I arrived at the hotel at midnight to see about renting a room for the night. The hotel desk clerk showed us a room that had a jacuzzi tub in it being that we requested one after traveling all day and we needed to relax. After showing my husband the room we agreed to rent the room for the 100.00 fee give or take. When we had got to our room my 15 yr old had to use the restroom. When she had gotten out I went in to look at the tub to make sure it was what he had said it would be. To my surprise it wasn't! it was an average tub with mildew around the rim and a broken towel rack. I believe rm # 111 not sure, anyway we asked the front desk clerk to come in the room and see what we are seeing and explained to him that he showed us a different room and that this wasn't except able. He argued with my husband saying that every room had the same tub and that he couldn't re rent the room due to the fact that my daughter used the restroom. I told him that wasn't my problem that he in fact showed us a jacuzzi tub and that the room was already dirty due to the mold issue and broken towel rack. My husband had him take him to the room he showed him, to show the clerk what the difference in the rooms were. After much arguing the clerk changed rooms and gave us rm # 114 I think. When he changed our rooms he told us that we better not destroy anything or we wouldn't get our deposit back and he told us we had better be quiet because the next rm over had a 4am wake up call. He made us feel like we were white trash and like a piece of crap. We are not dirty people and we do not destroy places. I used to have my own house cleaning business and I know what clean is and what people have to do upon check outs. I am now a grocery store manager and run a efficient store and a clean one at that! I have never encountered such rude customer service as I did in this hotel. If I treated my customers the way your staff treated us I would be out of business.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
carlylehotelcampbell, Webmaster at Carlyle Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Carlyle Hotel for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for giving us a review, it is very much appreciated. We are sorry for the bad experience you had.

Upon receipt of your review, the following action was taken:

• Desk clerk received additional training in the courteous manner in which they are to treat you, our valued guest.

• Maintenance was informed of the problem you experienced with Jacuzzi tub and instructed to see to the necessary repairs and replacements.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Carlyle Hotel. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Campbell
Bristol Hotel
Best Western The Inn Of Los Gatos
Toll House Hotel
Toll House Hotel
#1 of 6 in Los Gatos

Been to Carlyle Hotel? Share your experiences!