Possibly the nicest place we stayed in our 2 week adventure around Japan, this is a very local and rustic minshuku (japanese inn). It's traditional with the owners extremely friendly but speaking very little English, that's ok though and you can bumble through everything easily enough.
- The food, you'd be silly to not take advantage of their meals (dinner and breakfast), diinner in particular takes in lots of local specialities, they farm their own river fish so you can imagine how tasty that is, lots of food that you really wouldn't get a chance to try anywhere else in Japan. After dinner the owner sang a local folk song, and while the hearth smoked and the food was digested, it really felt like you'd stepped back in time.
- The room, try to ask for one that's overlooking the back of the house, they only have 3 or 4 rooms, and this is the cutest with a small little gabled area where you can sit, read and listen to the river flowing by.
- The price: you can go to kyoto etc and spend hundreds of pounds on a ryokan experience but here at Koshinzuka you pay a very reasonable and fair rate for a much more personal and satisfying experience. I can't recommend it any more highly.
- Location, Koshinzuka is a little out of town, it's 30 min walk but don't let that put you off. that's actually very convenient for a couple reasons. Firstly you can take a bus from Nagiso train station direct to a stop outside the inn. The bus stop is actually called 'Koshinzuka'. you can walk down the walking route into town which is very pleasant.
Then if you are doing the walking train through to magome, then contrary to info in lonely planet, the luggage forwarding service works throughout the autumn period. koshinzuka acts as a pick up point so if you ask them and hand over 500 yen for each bag they'll arrange for it to be transported to Magome while you walk.
Oh if you're doing the walk then stop at the old staging post about 2/3rds along the route, and ask if you can try the old guy there's home made umeshu plum wine. Powerful stuff!! : )
have a great time!
- Also Known As:
- Minshuku Koshinzuka Japan/Nagiso-Machi, Kiso-Gun