“Lovely Hosts & Never Tasted Better Food!! ”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nagiso-machi
Minshuku Koshinzuka
Ranked #1 of 13 B&Bs / Inns in Nagiso-machi
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in several Ryokans and minshukus in my trips to Japan but let me say that Koshinzuka emerges as top in terms of my experience with japanese inns.

Food: I'm not exaggerating but Yumi-san prepares the BEST shokuji meals EVER. Before Kiso I was staying in a 4 star Ryokan at Kinosakionsen but even the food there (a 15 course kaiseiki meal) cannot hold a candle to what Yumi-san whips up. Food is cooked with love and care, and although it's not a kaiseiki meal, I found everything satisfying and very very very delicious. I'm missing it already =( you will not go hungry because she keeps bringing out stuff!!! Lovely. 100stars!

People: I've nothing but praise for Yumi-san and her husband. Although my command of Japanese is pathetic, they were accommodating and made sure I was well-taken care. In the end we had very decent conversations by means of gesticulating and trying our best on both sides.

On the 1st night Yumi-san drove me out to Tsumago-juku and said I could take a walk while she waited in the car. There was no one in town and the streets were lit by lanterns outside the stores and houses. It was hauntingly beautiful.

On the 2nd night I met Yumi-san's husband who shared so many things with me and taught me so many traditions of Japan, even though I was the only guest and he didn't have to entertain me. He then sang me japanese folk songs and yes, he has the BEST VOICE EVER.

On the morning I left Yumi-san volunteered to drive me to Nagiso station and halfway through she stopped by a beautiful bridge so I could talk a stroll and take pictures =)

I feel VERY blessed and if you're reading this please know that they're very lovely people and please do not take for granted that they must do this for EVERY single traveller! I would have given them the same glowing review even if they did not do these "additionals" for me =)

Cost: Around $200 for 2 nights. Absolutely reasonable.

Location: It's located at Otsumago, halfway between Tsumago-juku and Magome-juku. Please get there by stopping at Nagiso train station, and take a bus that stops at Koshinzuka-mae. It stops right across their Inn. Easy!

I'm glad I stayed two nights although I wished to have stayed even longer =(

Please do your best to be a nice and considerate guest when you visit Koshinzuka.

There are really beautiful people staying there.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
9  Thank thepetitvoyageur

Reviewed 2 November 2013

I've traveled around Japan a fair bit, and stayed in a lot of ryokan/minshuku, but without a doubt, this was one of the nicest I've been in. The food was great, and the owner was very welcoming. It looks like he's hosted quite a number of guests over the years judging by the guestbooks he showed us, full of enthusiastic complements (which I completely agree with). I was fortunate to have the room looking out the back, and it was a nice relaxing view. Perfect after having been on the road a while. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Ai0ne
Reviewed 2 November 2013

It was a true Japanese experience. It is a pleasant and easy 30 minute walk from Tsumago. You sleep on a futon, in Japan a Futon is not a foldaway bed, it is a thin mattress on the floor. We found it comfortable, but it is like having a "sleep over". We asked for a towel and the owner gave us two hand towels. It appears you have to bring your own bath towel, for the price you cannot complain. We had two evening meals at Koshinuka and they were best meals we had during our stay. The owner entertained us with history of the minshuku and with local songs.
The shared facilities were no problem.

Room Tip: Ask for the room that faces the garden. It has a small balcony with two chairs. You can buy beer a...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flashpacker55
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at the "other" famous establishment the night after Kooshinzuka so do oblige me to state that this was the best night we've ever spent in tsumago.

We were perturbed at first about getting there from Nagiso station but fear not. Kooshinzuka has its own bus stop right outside the minshuku called "Kooshinzuka mae".

The food was great, the story telling and the views from our room was jyst great. The innkeeper was one of the warmest people we've met. If only we could have stayed the second night, but they were full.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank M L
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Possibly the nicest place we stayed in our 2 week adventure around Japan, this is a very local and rustic minshuku (japanese inn). It's traditional with the owners extremely friendly but speaking very little English, that's ok though and you can bumble through everything easily enough.

Highlights:

- The food, you'd be silly to not take advantage of their meals (dinner and breakfast), diinner in particular takes in lots of local specialities, they farm their own river fish so you can imagine how tasty that is, lots of food that you really wouldn't get a chance to try anywhere else in Japan. After dinner the owner sang a local folk song, and while the hearth smoked and the food was digested, it really felt like you'd stepped back in time.

- The room, try to ask for one that's overlooking the back of the house, they only have 3 or 4 rooms, and this is the cutest with a small little gabled area where you can sit, read and listen to the river flowing by.

- The price: you can go to kyoto etc and spend hundreds of pounds on a ryokan experience but here at Koshinzuka you pay a very reasonable and fair rate for a much more personal and satisfying experience. I can't recommend it any more highly.

- Location, Koshinzuka is a little out of town, it's 30 min walk but don't let that put you off. that's actually very convenient for a couple reasons. Firstly you can take a bus from Nagiso train station direct to a stop outside the inn. The bus stop is actually called 'Koshinzuka'. you can walk down the walking route into town which is very pleasant.

Then if you are doing the walking train through to magome, then contrary to info in lonely planet, the luggage forwarding service works throughout the autumn period. koshinzuka acts as a pick up point so if you ask them and hand over 500 yen for each bag they'll arrange for it to be transported to Magome while you walk.

Oh if you're doing the walk then stop at the old staging post about 2/3rds along the route, and ask if you can try the old guy there's home made umeshu plum wine. Powerful stuff!! : )

have a great time!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SSSEAGERSSS
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My mother and I stayed a night at Minshuku Koshinzuka and what an amazing experience!!! We were lucky that the taxi driver at the Nagiso station knew Minshuku Koshinzuka so we didn't have to tell him where it is. Turns out that Minshuku Koshinzuka has been around and been hosting visitors for decades!! We were also lucky to be the only guests that night so the lovely hosts converted three rooms (split by sliding doors) into one so we could have a large living space. We arrived around 3pm and the wife drove us into Tsumago where we looked around and took a taxi to Magome to do the hike back to Tsumago. The minshuku is located along the Nakasendo trail so it was nice and easy for us especially as we were afraid it was getting dark and we were afraid of possible bears.

The minshuku itself is spotlessly clean and really authentic. It was probably one of our favourite experiences in Japan. We had a shower though we didn't get to try their wooden hot bath then sat down for dinner. it was BY FAR the BEST meal we had during our whole Japan trip. The fact that it was so authentic, home cooked, home grown (yes everything is home grown including the fish from the river in their back garden!), organic and so much of it made it absolutely delicious. The wife did an amazing job in meeting our dietary requirements. Then after dinner the husband sat down with us and showed us old photos and the history of the place. They both had limited english but it was perfectly fine. Then he sang us the MOST beautiful folk song about the Kiso Valley which really transported us to another time. I just cannot describe what a wonderful experience we had with them.

The next day, the wife was so kind she drove us to the train station. But before that she surprised us by taking us on a little side trip to see a beautiful bridge in Nagiso where we took some gorgeous photos. The whole experience was amazing though the accommodation itself is basic, the hospitality, service and warmth we received made the whole stay our favourite in Japan. We hope to come back again!!

P.S: Please note the luggage transfer service between Magome and Tsumago ends at 11am!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Clarey21
Reviewed 28 April 2013

This minshuku is located along the trail from Tsumago to Magome. (about 2.2km going the Tsumago to Magome route) which was very useful for us as it broke our hike into two parts. (We wouldn't have made it if we had done it at one go!).

We spent a night here (we wished we had stayed longer!) and it was by far the best experience we had in our 14 day holiday in Japan. The food was excellent and really delicious! There were lots of small dishes but it kept us very full! Breakfast was the same. The host entertained us by singing some old folk songs and all the guests participated. It was great fun.

The room we had is a tatami room and it was quite comfortable. We had the room that overlooks the river and forest. There is also a koi pond. Sitting on the little balcony drinking green tea and relaxing - especially after a wonderful hot bath in the bath room was terrific.

The toilets and bathroom are very clean. The Japanese bath is made of wood and it is really nice to soak in it after walking from Tsumago to Koshinzuka.

If you want a Japanese country living experience, this is the place to go. We had previously stayed at a Ryokan in Miyajima which was twice the price and half as good. We have no hesitation in recommending this Minshuku to anyone who is looking for somewhere to stay in the Kiso Valley.

Room Tip: Ask for the room at the back, overlooking the koi pond.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mentaiko77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nagiso-machi
Tokonamiso
#2 of 29 in Nakatsugawa
Hostel & Cafe Yui-an
Hostel & Cafe Yui-an
#1 of 1 in Nagiso-machi

Been to Minshuku Koshinzuka? Share your experiences!