“Left injured with no help!”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Pak Nam
London, United Kingdom
“Left injured with no help!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Our 1 night stay left a lot to be desired after an awful experience. Firstly upon arrival, the staff were not helpful when it came to checking in and the only way they knew of my booking was by matching my name from my passport, we were then thrown a key over the desk to room 342 and given no further direction – this hotel is split into 3 separate buildings, 1 is the reception and the other 2 are rooms – as this wasn’t explained we continued to a door to the right of the reception desk thinking to go upstairs and upon realising this wasn’t correct we received laughter from the reception staff and still no offer of help, we asked where to go and they pointed at the front door, again not helpful. After this we realized there was a building about 100m to the back of the reception building, we continued to the building up 3 flights of stairs with very heavy luggage only to realize this building was incorrect as there were no listed numbers on the stairwells, in hot weather we lugged our bags back down to the bottom and went up the adjacent building to find our room. Upon entering the room we knew what to expect as it is a budget room, however finding 2 single beds instead of the requested double along with urine on the toilet and stained carpet we were taken back, we placed our bags down and sat on the beds, there is no other way to describe them than hard as a rock – it was very uncomfortable and left a barely sleep filled night. Another issue was the only power points available were where the TV and refrigerator were plugged into – odd and inconvenient. There was no point asking reception to fix the issues as they couldn't understand us.

The morning of check out arrived and awoke to the cleaner outside the door making all sorts of noise, then we packed and left the room, as we were going down the stairs I slipped quite badly down the stairs on water that was covering them, cutting open the back of my left heel and banging my right knee and toe – leaving me in a fair amount of pain, my partner notified the nearby cleaner that the stairs were wet and I had fallen and all she did was smile and laugh. After struggling to walk up to reception to report the incident and await our impending taxi, my partner notified the reception staff that I had fallen down the stair and was injured, they responded with smiles and laughter – he asked for some assistance and asked for the manager, the 2 staff pointed to an older woman at the end of the desk and he went to her and asked her to come around the desk to see my leg and she smiled and nodded but didn't come around and then took a phone call. I managed to usher a staff member from behind the desk to show her my bleeding foot and again no help, we repeatedly asked for a plaster or bandage and no help was given. I understand we were travelling in a country where English is not the first language however seeing someone bleeding and hurt is something words do not need to be used for and still the staff did not help. Our taxi arrived and we left very angered that this was the way our trip to Thailand was ending.

The terrible service we had received was inexcusable and beyond the worst we have experienced staying in many hotels across the world.

Room Tip: Don't pick one! Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank KMartin836

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Chengdu
Reviewed 1 June 2013

booked from agoda and had been charged 22 USD. on arrival I saw the walkin price is around 450B. Room is clean and good for a stay on your transfer. 7-11 is about 10 mins walk away. Krabi is a small town and food and fruit market is about 15mins walk. If you arrived by minivan, you'd ask the driver to drop you off at the hotel. The reception could book a taxi to the airport which costs 350B and if you booked from travel agent that would be 300B. We've got a early morning flight to Kuala Lumpur so we booked from the reception.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sihao L
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

the back doors onto the sand banks of the river the vievs were to die for the sunrise in the morning not to be missed very friendly staff food was ok but not a great variety free wii fi always a bonus

Room Tip: all good river view at the back
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kenneth a
Thailand
Reviewed 10 November 2012

After reading pretty pleasent reviews I was looking forward to my stay at Riverside. The room itself was very nice for a reasonable price. However having been misinformed about Krabi itself, I would reccommend Aonang about 20kms away. My friend and I had booked in for 2 nights at Riverside but in turn we stayed a mare 2hrs before leaving. Reason being, the old hag at the front desk.

Having travelled around south east asia for the past 6 weeks I have met my fare share of rude and unhelpful people. In a small town like Krabi where there arent nearly as many tourists I didnt expect it, especially from the lady at the front desk. Whos JOB it is to help out those staying there.

Although it was an extremely busy night on the 9th Novemeber 2012 with an estimated max of 8 people staying at the hotel, (And this is just a ball park figure, it could well be just the 2 of us)
When I went to reception around 7pm I had the whole reception area to my self but still I waited quietly for the lady to finish her work for around 3 mins, she acknowledged me walking up but when I said hello, she ignored me and went about her work.
No doubt room allocation for the droves of tourist staying at the hotel.

Then the following conversation took place.

Me: Hi there, can you please order us a taxi?
L: No!
Me: Im sorry, why not?
L: NO!
Me: Does your town not have taxis?
L: No taxi!

At this point my friend and I are getting pretty frustrated, as we had previously caught a taxi to the hotel. Strange that a lady who works in a hotel couldnt get a taxi. What a strange request, these two guys asking for a taxi, who the hell do they think they are?

L: Where you want to go?
Me: We dont know, as we have just arrived into town, we would like to get a taxi to show us around and then take us to a restaurant.
L: You go that way 5 mins
Me: Whats that way?
L: that way 5 min! You go now!

Like hell we are, tempers are starting to get fired up and I want a taxi, im not prepared to walk the back streets of a town I dont know based on the crude and short unhelpful answers of a women who clearly lives for helping others.

Me: Can you please just order us a taxi?
L: NO!!
Me: How can I get to the airport?
L: You want to go to airport, I get you taxi tomorrow morning?
Me: Yeh funny that, so you do have a taxi you can ring?

She then proceeded to go back to her work for another few minutes before writing down a number an handing it back to me.

Me: Can you please ring, I cannot speak Thai (Pretty obvious as Im a white guy)
L: No, you ring!
Me: I have no phone

With a look of utter distgust on her face she proceeds to ring the taxi driver, she hands me the phone and within 10 seconds I have the taxi ordered and on the way. As I hand the phone back I thank her for her tremendous help and local knowledge on where and what we should do.

Its not many times when you walk into a hotel that you genuinely feel not welcome, this is exactly how me and my friend felt. After being given our room key, I asked which way to the room. There are 3 separate buildings and while not glancing up from her phone (probably more preoccupied with some kind of important App) she waves a finger lazily in the direction smack bang in between the two buildings.

Sorry which building was that?
The Yellow one.

Perfect they are both yellow. But as we felt we were holding up the rest of the crowd behind us, woops there wasnt anyone there, we thought we better go find it ourselves. The 3 bell boys looked as we struggled with our heavy bags, no hint of would you like a lift or some help to walk the 100m down to the other building.
After walking up 3 flights of stairs in the wrong building we finally located our room in the other building. However as we were so disgusted by this ladies service we dropped the key back at the front desk and got the hell out of there.

I strongly warn people to avoid this place solely based on the fact this women will ruin your stay, maybe if she is taught compassion, common decency and how to use manners (All of which are free and cost nothing to learn, most 5 yr old kids have them so I dont see why she shouldnt) then it might be worth a stay. Or if she gets promoted to the 5 star hotels in Bangkok, highly likely I feel, in the not too distant future.

Obviously this post is long winded and over the top, but I only went to this much trouble because of how badly this lady treated me. I hope her bosses read this and get pissed off big time.

Once again a massive thanks to the Lady at reception, you made our stay in Krabi so worthwhile we cut our trip short by 46hrs and moved to the next town. Big Ups .

Room Tip: Dont waste your time
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank Matavee

Travellers are raving about these Pak Nam hotels

Reviewed 12 November 2011

10 min walk from centre of krabi along riverside. New hotel, very clean and a good standard Thai sytle. A/c room with tv, hot shower was very good value. For all the world it's like a good travel lodge, which on a budget is great to find in thailand.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Deisefilly
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2010

We were heading for the City Hotel but they only had a large room left which was depressing, old, dirty and generally unappealing and over-priced so they suggested their recently built sister hotel, The River Side, a short distance away.

The River Side has been there a while but they have just finished a new block and seem to be renovating the old block. It's off the main road that runs parallel with the river (surprisingly!) so it's still near the town, about a 5 minute walk away. The new block rooms are a bit small and basic but modern, clean and comfortable (apart from the bed which was like concrete). There is no restaurant so no breakfast.

We paid about 600B for the room which, given the standard and newness was a pretty good deal. There was free wifi in the room plus a fridge & TV.

The new block isn't being marketed yet, web searches bring up pictures of rooms in the un-renovated old block which are a bit 70's looking so don't be disillusioned by that.

For us the best bit was the peace and quiet of the location whilst still being within easy walking distance of the town.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
#128 of 182 in Krabi Town
Pine Bungalow
Pine Bungalow
#30 of 108 in Ao Nang

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!