Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
GumdropGirl
Los Angeles, California

I really wanted to like this place, I see its potential.

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 22 Mar 2012
I get the distinct feeling that this place doesn't get a lot of business.

I arrived with my family for the annual Thai Physicians Association of America (TPAA) convention. Apparently, this resort was chosen because it was the only property in town that could accomodate such a large meeting.

The staff are very helpful and friendly. We were led to our rooms in tower 5, furthest away from the lobby. We had a very spacious room with a lovely view of a large rock (the sea was on the other side of the rock -- I am not being facetious, the rock was beautiful). The mattress was old and flattened, like a dormitory spring mattress. The bathroom was dark and humid, with visible mildew stains of the grout. The bathroom itself was "clean," but not bleached to remove mold. The overhead light was a small, circular fluorescent tube, but it was terribly dim. The sinks and vanities were outside the bathroom, and they were shiny and new. A kitschy, plastic beaded curtain separated the bath and dressing area from the rest of the room. The television was a flat-screen CRT with local channels. Our room had a special bonus: an angry hornet flying around the room. We used rolled up newspapers to chase it out the balcony.

After settling in, I put on my swimsuit and went downstairs to the pool. The pool is huge, but nobody was it in. Maybe three people total at 3:00pm. Convention-goers made about 90% of resort attendance, with a scarcity of other travelers.

I took a shower. The bathroom has a bathtub and a separate shower stall. The shower was weak. Hardly any water pressure. Made it really, really difficult to wash my hair. And while the bathtub has a hand-held shower head, there is no curtain around it, so I made a terrible mess of the bathroom trying to get that to work. On the bright side, there is a retractable clothes line over the tub, so you can hang your soggy swimwear.

I went to bed early and had a restful sleep. The place is quiet. Probably because it was deserted.

The next morning, I took advantage of their single best amenity: the tour concierge. God help them if they didn't have a great tour desk; this resort is so far out of the way of *everything* that you would otherwise be trapped on its premises. The resort's tour concierge has a daily schedule of tour pick-ups for various popular destinations. I chose the Phi-Phi Island Tour, which departs the resort at 8:15am and returns around 6:00pm. I will review the tour company separately. Stay tuned.

If I must laud the resort on its own virtue, I must say this: the food is great. That is, the food is great if you like local Southern Thai cuisine. If you are reasonably adventurous and want to eat the local fare, this resort is great. But if you must eat sandwiches, burgers or American fare, you are out of luck. The convention's dinner service was a buffet of multiple stations: the seafood grill, the hot entree line, the salads, the stir-fry bar and the desserts. The breakfast was international - cereals, pastries, omelet station, breakfast meats, rice porridge and fresh local fruit. And lunch was a quick-serve cafeteria line of local delights like khao yum (rice salad), khao mok (curried rice) and chicken, or street-style noodles. The only thing I didn't like was being charged 300 baht for an iced coffee.

Still, the place leaves much to be desired. Yes, they have free wi-fi in the lobby. However, the signal is weak, so there was a clowder of us huddled in a corner with our phones and iPads desperately trying to get on the network. The resort is in DIRE need of renovations. They make absolutely no effort to conceal dilapidated old storage sheds and employees' dormitories. From the upper floors, you can have a clear view of the waste-water treatment modules, bubbling up and seething with grey water. The pool has a waterfall feature that is not running, and you can see the mildewing on the cabanas. A simple bleaching and paint job would do wonders. But without it, the whole place looks old and sad. I saw so much potential for this resort, and I think that's what kept me from hating my stay. They need to remodel, or they just won't survive.
Trip type: Travelled with family
    £14
  • Algotels
    £38
View more hotels in Pak Nam
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 25 February 2012

If we didn't arrive so late, we would have just got in a cab and drove somewhere else - anywhere else.

1.Did not find booking at arrival (but we only booked 6 hours in advance) 2. Got "upgraded" to a better room, but had 2 single beds - our booking was double. 3. Service was not really anything to brag about... Staff seemed bothered by questions. 4. Room smelled like mould, and from the look of it you weren't surprised. Also stained bedding... 5. Our booking said "minibar", there was only 2 bottles of water in the fridge. 6. Went to eat in the restaurant (no where else to go, I'm afraid) - ants all over our table! 7. Poor breakfast.

Couldn't be happier to leave the following morning. If only the service was good, I'd rate it higher.. but when even that fell apart, I had no choice...

Room tip: Not sure if any rooms are good here...
3  Thank chistosa
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Not very luxurious, but clean, spacy and peaceful room with beautiful forest and hills view. Big pool and good breakfast but the hotel really is far from everything.

Date of stay: February 2012
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank hotbutteredfungus
Reviewed 28 January 2012

DIRTY, old, STINKY, far from civilization. Regretted choosing it!!! Don't recommend to anyone!

Date of stay: January 2012
1  Thank Yana L
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I and my husband combine our stay at Maritime after stay in Ao Nang as Maritime is only 15 minute to airport. The hotel is so hge, stunning with beautiful garden and lagoon. The room is so standard but large and nice view from balcony (pool, lagoon, Kanabnam mounain). The food is simple but sitting in the garden is different than other hotel we stayed. Spa is so cool as floating in Lagoon, good price comparing with spa in hotel or in BKK. Hightly recommend for stopover or combine stay with Ao Nang. A lot of Thai guest as very reasonable price and only 5 minute to walking street so we did enjoy best local Thai resturant, Ruanmain resturant and walking street after spa.

Room tip: high floor with stunning view
Date of stay: December 2011
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Like other visitors, we should have checked trip advisor first. Having never bean to Thailand before, we did not know what to expect. The first thing we thought when we arrived was "where is everyone?". It's January and this place is a ghost town. It's 40 minutes away from anything exciting, the place has not been updated in 20 years, and many of the facilities are not operating. There is no swim up bar, no bike riding, the kayaking is unused, the spa very over priced and the restaurant minimalistic, though standard and tasty. The breakfast is a good and offers a range of western and Thai food. The bar is closed but you can order drinks to your room or the pool. The pool is amazing.
The bright side- I don't like crowded places, I am a fan of being left alone and the peace of isolation. So I imagine that I am in a zombie apocalypse. I love that I can stand on my balcony, facing the amazing view of the lagoon and the pool, stark naked and no one on the other 400 balconies is there to see me.
There are day trips which are reasonably priced, a free shuttle to the beach and krabi town, and a taxi will set you back 500tbh, about $20us/aud. there is nothing much to do here but sit by the pool. So if you like a very private, huge resort, without families and noise, this place is great. I love the soft music playing everywhere, and there seems to be a nearly guaranteed upgrade due to the emptiness of the place. Ghost town resort, I like it.

Date of stay: January 2012