“Geisha on the Beach”

Good for: Child-friendly
sonoma
“Geisha on the Beach”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

This was a very quiet restaurant while the other beach places
were jammed. The food was good. The service was good, just
an odd choice of cuisine for a sun and sand kind of town.
Pink Cherry blossoms and pink walls are out of place when
you are seated 50 feet from the surf.

Visited June 2013

Santa Cruz, California
“A new sushi eperience - I'll be back!”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

My friend and I used a groupon to try this newer sustainable sushi spot in Capitola. We went right when they opened on a weekday, so I'm not sure how operations work when it's really busy, but here it goes: First, water and complimentary miso soup was brought immediately to our table. Nice touch. The miso was delicious with freshly cut scallions and chunks of tofu and seaweed leaves. The menu was huge! In fact there are two menus. My friend and I were so focused on the extensive sushi menu, that we completely overlooked an entirely different menu with Bento boxes, noodle dishes and appetizers. Perhaps the owners might consider combining the menus?....our tab would certainly have included other items from the other menu.
We joked about the clever names for the rolls. We decided on a Black Widow roll and a Thailander. The flavors were amazing. We added a caterpillar roll, and it was a great surprise to see the tobiko on the avocado. If there was anything wrong with this meal, it would have to be that the orange tobiko did not seem as fresh as the red tobiko. There is a difference in texture and taste. Other than that, this, meal was GREAT and we can't wait to return.

• Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Service is so bad it is hard to even comment on the food.”
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Service here is AWFUL.

We finally walked out after 1 1/2 hours. We had only received our nigiri. We were still waiting on rolls when I finally threw in the towel and left.

I tried speaking to our waitress (who is also the owner). The sushi chef jumped in and said she was the only one working and she was going as fast as she could and she was slammed and sushi takes a long time. I would understand if they had been busy but there were five tables occupied.

Also, why would the sushi chef (an employee) jump in with an attitude when I was already speaking with the owner? And, why would the owner let an employee cop an attitude with a customer.

I love the sustainable concept and would readily support it but cannot get past the service and attitude. I also believe in working with local businesses before writing a negative review online. The owner was our waitress so she is aware of the atrocious service.

• Visited December 2012
santa cruz, CA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Once you've had this sushi you will never go back!”
Reviewed 16 November 2012

We used to frequent a couple different sushi restaurants throughout Santa Cruz County until we discovered Geisha sushi in the Capitola Village. Excellenct sustainable sushi and other delicious menu options. We are vegetarian and there are so many choices we could go there every night for a month and not get the same dish. The sushi is fresh and there are many unique sushi options. Great views and fun decor!

• Visited August 2012
JACKSON
“sustainable sushi! Very cool”
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Geisha is wonderful and it's really nice to go to a sustainable sushi restaurant. Our dinner was tasty and the staff is really friendly and enthusiastic.

Visited October 2012

Been to Geisha? Share your experiences!